Aluula? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Forum for kitesurfers
Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Postby Ice101 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:45 am

Be good to see a pro doing some tricks with one too to see how it reacts when being abused properly and effect to style.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:05 pm

Not really an Aluula comment but I find most kite promotion footage lacking. Marketing wants you to see three or four of their latest kites all flying along together or in sync. They never really tap into what many of their potential market are actually interested in. Many of us can get loads of information from watching a kite put through its paces. Not just the rider on a wave or what have you. That only lets us know how good the rider is. Seeing the kite move. The speed with which it reacts, turns, loops or drifts are all pretty easily appreciated by experienced kiters. It almost feels like that stuff is intentionally witheld when you watch a promo clip. Switch kites were one of the only brands that did a decent job of showing what the kite could do. Clips of Felix and Marc that showed the kite and rider for more than a fraction of a second were great and showed off just how fast a kite could move. If your reading this, I for one would love to see more kite than rider in promo footage of what Aluula does to a kite. I hear "instant reaction" and "smaller kite" in the descriptions. Please try to show us the money when you set to filming it.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:52 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:05 pm
Not really an Aluula comment but I find most kite promotion footage lacking. Marketing wants you to see three or four of their latest kites all flying along together or in sync. They never really tap into what many of their potential market are actually interested in. Many of us can get loads of information from watching a kite put through its paces. Not just the rider on a wave or what have you. That only lets us know how good the rider is. Seeing the kite move. The speed with which it reacts, turns, loops or drifts are all pretty easily appreciated by experienced kiters. It almost feels like that stuff is intentionally witheld when you watch a promo clip. Switch kites were one of the only brands that did a decent job of showing what the kite could do. Clips of Felix and Marc that showed the kite and rider for more than a fraction of a second were great and showed off just how fast a kite could move. If your reading this, I for one would love to see more kite than rider in promo footage of what Aluula does to a kite. I hear "instant reaction" and "smaller kite" in the descriptions. Please try to show us the money when you set to filming it.
But if they did all that, what would the kite reviewing YouTubers do!? Think about the YouTube points that they'd miss out on if marketing actually depicted products in a faithful and transparent way!

Edit: to be fair, there are some brands that do put out a huge amount of video content. Flysurfer and F-One come to mind, you can go to their channel and see all the kites in use all over the place and for any race kite the event footage is more than sufficient to demonstrate performance attributes of the kite in their intended context.

Edit #2: most brands have sponsored rider channels that basically fulfill this purpose for their premier gear

Naish - Kevin Langeree/Jesse Richman
Slingshot - Sam Light
F-One - Alex Caizergues, Mitu Monteiro, Liam Whaley
Tona - Jake Kelsick
North (or Duotone?) - Jeremie Tronet
Core - Ben Beholz

Etc. Some are officially funded by those brands, some are just premier sponsorships, but that all comes out of the marketing budget just like the "TV Commercials" the official brand labels make that usually get promoted during product roll-out.

lucas33
Rare Poster
Style: KiteWave | Hooked Freestyle | Big Air
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby lucas33 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:39 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:05 pm
That’s true when comes to surf kites. As a rider I would like to see how it performs in the waves, how it drifts when riding a whole wave! What we have nowadays are the most brands shooting water perspectives and cutbacks flashes.
To sum up, wind speed conditions would be appreciated as well.

Hopefully we will get more shots from Aluula kites

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:34 pm

lucas33 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:39 pm
[

That’s true when comes to surf kites. As a rider I would like to see how it performs in the waves, how it drifts when riding a whole wave! What we have nowadays are the most brands shooting water perspectives and cutbacks flashes.
To sum up, wind speed conditions would be appreciated as well.

Hopefully we will get more shots from Aluula kites
I think that has been a problem from day one in the industry. New kite video comes out and you never see the kite.

Although with the advent of drones, it has changed for the better.

And I agree, would love to see the whole sequence rather than mtv quick cuts.

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:07 pm

I rode both the 10m Roam and 14.5m Flite at the AWSI event last week. I also tried to rip a swatch of the material, held just the strut made of Aluula next to a traditional strut, saw all the demo stuff etc.

A few other people I asked about the kites said pretty much what I was thinking without prompting them. Yes, it is the real deal. It makes the kites fly way different. They are so much faster and more responsive. In high wind, I boosted the 10m Roam and found it went way past a "sent" jump. It was so much faster than I expected. I pendulum flew way off to 10 o'clock and the kite went way back to 2 o'clock, but it responded so fast I saved it and didn't splash down. It really takes so getting used to. The upstroke has more power too. The kites are so light they just pop up and create so much apparent wind power it is surprising. The Flite was still in light-ish wind and was so fast through the air and turning. It hung through the holes in the wind at the event site really well.

Because the main weight savings are in removing the Dacron, there are diminishing returns to making the canopy out of it. It will be more expensive and it isn't bullet proof. It is extremely tear resistant, but that doesn't mean you can drag it around or stick it on a cactus and expect no damage. Scratch and puncture proof it is not. Those aspects seem about the same as Dacron. However, I could not tear it or even stretch it. Think of it like any high end product: you still need to take care of it.

I think of it in terms of kite performance gains more than tear resistance gains.

By the time you ride one, the hype will be so much it will be hard for anything to live up it, but this is one of the few big steps forward in kite design recently.

- Stafford
These users thanked the author droffats for the post (total 10):
jumptheshark (Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:12 pm) • Greenturtle (Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:31 pm) • iriejohn (Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:28 pm) • jjm (Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:58 pm) • nixmatters (Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:14 pm) • juandesooka (Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:35 pm) • Mossy 757 (Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:46 pm) • alkiter (Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:06 am) • NoHater (Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:07 am) • Digdawg (Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:17 pm)
Rating: 30.3%

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:32 pm

droffats wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:07 pm
In high wind, I boosted the 10m Roam
Did the Roam have pulleys, or have OR now got rid of them?

<edit>
It makes the kites fly way different. They are so much faster and more responsive ...
The kites are so light they just pop up and create so much apparent wind power it is surprising.
This is indeed a "game changer" which will change kite design! Hey Ozone, put me down for a quiver of Aluula Enduro V3's in 2020 :thumb:
Last edited by iriejohn on Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:17 pm

droffats wrote:
I rode both the 10m Roam and 14.5m Flite at the AWSI event last week. I also tried to rip a swatch of the material, held just the strut made of Aluula next to a traditional strut, saw all the demo stuff etc.

A few other people I asked about the kites said pretty much what I was thinking without prompting them. Yes, it is the real deal. It makes the kites fly way different. They are so much faster and more responsive. In high wind, I boosted the 10m Roam and found it went way past a "sent" jump. It was so much faster than I expected. I pendulum flew way off to 10 o'clock and the kite went way back to 2 o'clock, but it responded so fast I saved it and didn't splash down. It really takes so getting used to. The upstroke has more power too. The kites are so light they just pop up and create so much apparent wind power it is surprising. The Flite was still in light-ish wind and was so fast through the air and turning. It hung through the holes in the wind at the event site really well.

Because the main weight savings are in removing the Dacron, there are diminishing returns to making the canopy out of it. It will be more expensive and it isn't bullet proof. It is extremely tear resistant, but that doesn't mean you can drag it around or stick it on a cactus and expect no damage. Scratch and puncture proof it is not. Those aspects seem about the same as Dacron. However, I could not tear it or even stretch it. Think of it like any high end product: you still need to take care of it.

I think of it in terms of kite performance gains more than tear resistance gains.

By the time you ride one, the hype will be so much it will be hard for anything to live up it, but this is one of the few big steps forward in kite design recently.

- Stafford
Sounds very much like 'once you go black you never go back'
These users thanked the author nixmatters for the post:
iriejohn (Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:37 am)
Rating: 3.03%

flaps1111
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Safor Beaches and Costa Blanca, Valencia /Alicante
Style: Strapless hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Skate S w679, w633. Airush Ultra v2 ,4m,5m, 6m, 9m, 12m,14m. Flyfurfer Peak5 4m, BRM 13.4

Postby flaps1111 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:28 am

droffats wrote:
I rode both the 10m Roam and 14.5m Flite at the AWSI event last week.

- Stafford
You forgot to comment the actual weight...all brands that make light wind kites are proud to announce theirs weights, Airush, Ozone, BRM.....

Sandras
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fort Walton Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Okaloosa Island, FL
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Postby Sandras » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:31 pm

Return to “Kitesurfing”