CrazyFly Shox Custom 135
Groove Skate
Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: HFL

Re: Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Postby ap888 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:30 am

Pierrot wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:20 am
I tested the « Roam 10m black » this afternoon on my Hydrofoil (ketos pocket board 107 and front wing « wave xl »).
I first spent 90mn with my Neo 10m and then 90mn on the Roam aluula. Wind was about 12knt average but more 7 to 15knt. On a lake.
I must say some of the marketing claims are true and I had a blast!
- not sure about power given how up-and-down the wind was. It did feel as powerful as my Neo.
- stability in gust and lulls is unbelievable. At some point wind was too low to waterstart and pretty sure I would not have been able to keep my Neo in the air. With the aluula kite it was no problem. And it absorbs gusts extremely well with zero « deformation » of the kite...
- drift is also excellent, way better than with the Neo in that wind range.
- but the most impressive part is the responsiveness and turning speed. It does move like my neo 7 :o To the point that when doing downloop transitions you have to slow down the loop to get enough power! I loved it!

That being said, I think Ocean Rodeo is doing the right thing not rushing to production. I was checking some of the Flite Aluula on the ground and the Aluula leading edge had « scratches » all over. Same type of « scratches » you can have on carbon board if you are not careful... it looks superficial but you wonder how the material is going to hold after months of abuse.

Anyway i’m really looking forward to see how this material is going to impact kite design in the future.
More feedback getting excited now 😁

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:29 am

Aluula is harder to tear, but not harder to scratch. Because it is so tear resistant some people might forget that they still need to treat it like a kite -- avoid scratches and punctures. Think of it like other high-end products -- like carbon fiber bicycles for example. They may be lighter than other materials and have the same or better stiffness, but that doesn't mean they can be kicked around or abused.
These users thanked the author droffats for the post:
iriejohn (Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:59 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:03 am

foilholio wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:00 am
Toby wrote: What I wish for is a kite that gives me the power of my 18 in 20-25 knots, but for 15-20 knots... Like a big foil kite delivers...
You answered your own question. A 21m especially race type foil like Sonic will do what you want. I am sure too if you wanted more power Flysurfer would mail you free a one off of any size you wanted, 25m?. The Rhino 20m is not even as good as a 15m foil for lift and hang..
But in want a tube not a foil.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:14 pm

Pierrot wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:20 am
I tested the « Roam 10m black » this afternoon on my Hydrofoil (ketos pocket board 107 and front wing « wave xl »).
I first spent 90mn with my Neo 10m and then 90mn on the Roam aluula. Wind was about 12knt average but more 7 to 15knt. On a lake.
I must say some of the marketing claims are true and I had a blast!
- not sure about power given how up-and-down the wind was. It did feel as powerful as my Neo.
- stability in gust and lulls is unbelievable. At some point wind was too low to waterstart and pretty sure I would not have been able to keep my Neo in the air. With the aluula kite it was no problem. And it absorbs gusts extremely well with zero « deformation » of the kite...
- drift is also excellent, way better than with the Neo in that wind range.
- but the most impressive part is the responsiveness and turning speed. It does move like my neo 7 :o To the point that when doing downloop transitions you have to slow down the loop to get enough power! I loved it!

That being said, I think Ocean Rodeo is doing the right thing not rushing to production. I was checking some of the Flite Aluula on the ground and the Aluula leading edge had « scratches » all over. Same type of « scratches » you can have on carbon board if you are not careful... it looks superficial but you wonder how the material is going to hold after months of abuse.

Anyway i’m really looking forward to see how this material is going to impact kite design in the future.
Very much the same things that I observed when I flew both the Flite 14.5 and prototype 9.5 Prodigy at AWSI last month. I wasn't foiling it, so I didn't really get a chance to "drift" it, but the turning speed/responsiveness was incredible. The day I flew the 9.5, it was super gusty conditions and it just didn't do any deforming/fluttering, etc...it's just stable. Loved it and can't wait to get one in my hands again! :naughty:

I also think that maybe the scratches are just more visible b/c the material is black and kind of glossy. I look at a lot of used kites that people bring me to sell on consignment and that's something that seems to be pretty universal on the LE, especially if you do a lot of self launching. Time will tell, I suppose.

ap888
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Zion/K peir/Inver/Goderich
Favorite Beaches: Good wind/Flat water/Good waves
Style: Foil/Loops/Big Air/Strapless
Gear: Ozone Uno V2 4m
North Neo (17) 5m
Cabrinha Drifter (16) 8m
Flysurfer Sonic 2 -11m
Moses
BWS Stallion 5’
CrazyFly Shox Custom 135
Groove Skate
Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: HFL

Postby ap888 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:07 pm

Who cares scratches don't affect anything but looks... if u buy a new car it's gonna get scratches they are a part of life 😆

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:38 pm

'No scratches' is the new 'still crispy' :lol:

Aluula permanent marker anyone?

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby iriejohn » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:18 pm

If a 3 strut 12m, for example, weighs less than 2 kg exactly who gives a flying f.uck whether the LE scratches, 'cos I don't!

Sorry to be technical about this. :wink:

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:17 am

John, I completely agree. I will for sure love those beautiful scratches while I'm the only one with the kite in the air! :-)))
These users thanked the author pmaggie for the post:
iriejohn (Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:40 am)

jyka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 85
Local Beach: laru
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set

Postby jyka » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:29 am

^ until LE explodes because of the scratches and the kite falls from the sky.. :D

Pierrot
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 80
Gear: Aluula Roam 10m, North neo 10m, 7m, 5m
Hydrofoil Ketos,

Postby Pierrot » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:34 pm

I have no idea how the kites I saw got « scratches »... and those are demo kites that probably don’t receive the love they deserve...
but I’m sure we would be seeing tons on negative comments if OR was releasing $3000 kites getting cosmetic problems with normal use.
So this is where their launch strategy makes total sense and give them time to collect feedback from real life usage and adjust if required.
These users thanked the author Pierrot for the post:
iriejohn (Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:00 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”