Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Aluula? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Forum for kitesurfers
ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Postby ORSales » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:32 pm

Lots to address here! I am sorry for the slow response, I work on the west coast of Canada.
purdyd wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:47 am

Is it waterproof?

Having a light kite that didn’t get waterlogged would be fantastic for foiling.
Yes, waterproof / non-absorbent. Makes for very easy re-launch and also, obvious weight savings for flight post crash.
Greenturtle wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:47 am
Ocean Rodeo has earned my respect these last several years of riding Flites, and I wish them the best.
Thank-you, truly means a lot.
tilmann wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:01 am
Nice job ! :thumb:
So will we get thin high pressure leading edges from Ocean Rodeo soon ?
Kamikuza wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:12 pm
IIRC a couple of years back someone said that design was tapped out and the next big leap was going to be materials...either that or I'm going mad.
At about 3:30 in the video Richard (who is intimately connected to our R&D) alludes to the future of kite design. It's really hard to say what restraints will be lifted with this new light weight / stiff material but I agree that the future is bright for ongoing kite design and improvement.
Thomas1kite wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:24 am
@ORSales - did I understand correctly that first test days take place in Tarifa next week? can u give some more details? thanks
Richard and our GKA team of riders will be in Tarifa for the upcoming GKA event. He will have with him some final prototypes made from the new Aluula materials but the official launch and formal demo centre announcement will be later in July. Stand by. But if you're in Tarifa for the event, be sure to pop by the OR booth.
longwhitecloud wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:14 am
wonder how it is in UV protection, razor cut tear strength and stretch.
I know Aluula is in the midst of a more rigorous testing phase with results coming soon but our internal tests have been fantastic. UV stable. Tears (as seen in the video) simply do not propagate (it's one of our sales plans is to challenge people to tear the material by hand) and stretch on warp / weft / bias are all better than industry standard while being significantly lighter.
jumptheshark wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:27 pm
OR have always had an eye for innovation. They have never shied away from being different. They worked with venting their canopy in effort to relaminate air flow on the back side of the canopy and reduce stall, they came up with the ever lasting meme of the go joe, they have put stock in altering the shape of the LE of their kites near the wingtip in effort to put bridle attachments in more ideal locations compared to center or effort. They were key in the better designed rear bar trim and have always been out front with their drysuits. They even made a crazy surfing drysuit for a few years. A joy to use,,,,, once you were in it! I'm not surprised they are the ones to bring new materials to the sport, and predict they have indeed done their due diligence in testing. I bet this will work out well not only for them, but for the sport in general.

I wish them massive success.
Thank-you! We've never shied away from trying something new. Sometimes it succeeds, sometimes it fails but it's helped push us ever forward.
chibern wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:54 pm
What's that "Crave" kite in the background? I don't see it in their current line-up...
Ha! Reece Myerscough is one of our GKA tour riders, now in his 2nd year on the tour. He's helped push the development of this kite as a competitive surf kite. It will formally be launched later this year. The Roam remains an excellent choice in the waves but also evolves with the new fabrics to become an awesome freeride foilboard kite as it drifts incredibly well and with the new materials performs in crazy light wind conditions.

JZ
Last edited by ORSales on Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author ORSales for the post:
Kamikuza (Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:45 am)
Rating: 3.03%

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:34 pm

Jfoil wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:27 pm
jumptheshark wrote:

I am rather amazed that boards and more or North or cab or Naish with all their deep pockets were happy fritting away cash on glossy promo materials rather than get down to some actual materials R&D. While the kite industry players are all chasing the quick cash wing hype, OR is going to steal their lunch with actual improvement to our sport.

I don’t think you can assume the other brands aren’t going to use it too. Maybe they just aren’t putting out marketing videos until they have something ready to sell
Hey hey! welcome to outside your topic!

Greg is on the money, If it's the real deal, the big boys will trip over themselves racing to the table. Who knows, maybe Duotone will try and tweak it so they can dodge the license and say they invented it.... You can tell us about that time Ken was showing you this awesome stuff in your garage? When was that? like a decade ago? Hard to remember, but it was definitely before Logosz right?

Kiterisland
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kite, Twin tip

Postby Kiterisland » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:24 pm

Looks like Aluula Composites site is not ready to go up. I wonder when that will happen. Probably crashing right now with all the traffic :lol:
https://aluula.com/

There logo looks like possibly a plant?... just guessing. That would be the greatest, if it came from a sustainable resource.
Last edited by Kiterisland on Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jfoil
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kanaha
Style: Surfboard waves & foiling
Gear: Surf board & 5,6,8m kites

Postby Jfoil » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:28 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:34 pm
Jfoil wrote:
jumptheshark wrote:

I am rather amazed that boards and more or North or cab or Naish with all their deep pockets were happy fritting away cash on glossy promo materials rather than get down to some actual materials R&D. While the kite industry players are all chasing the quick cash wing hype, OR is going to steal their lunch with actual improvement to our sport.

I don’t think you can assume the other brands aren’t going to use it too. Maybe they just aren’t putting out marketing videos until they have something ready to sell

Greg is on the money, If it's the real deal, the big boys will trip over themselves racing to the table. Who knows, maybe Duotone will try and tweak it so they can dodge the license and say they invented it.... You can tell us about that time Ken was showing you this awesome stuff in your garage? When was that? like a decade ago? Hard to remember, but it was definitely before Logosz right?
Haha Snarkyshark! Yes I said before I like to kite waves still. Just not any waves in Maui until Nov. There were some new looking Duotones I saw on the beach, or maybe they have another kind of material. Maybe it will be a material arms race with all the companies. I guess we need some products to buy. Maybe if your boy cloud Greg gets some wings, you will then like somewing.
Last edited by Jfoil on Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GTC
Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish

Postby GTC » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:59 pm

Holly sh*t! Who came up with that name? Even Duotone sounds better :D

Jfoil
Rare Poster

Postby Jfoil » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:14 pm

GTC wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:59 pm
Holly sh*t! Who came up with that name? Even Duotone sounds better :D
I don’t think anything sounds better than Duotone
These users thanked the author Jfoil for the post (total 2):
iriejohn (Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:50 pm) • GoAndKite (Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:20 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:33 pm

Jfoil wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:28 pm
jumptheshark wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:34 pm
Jfoil wrote:

Haha Snarkyshark! Yes I said before I like to kite waves still. Just not any waves in Maui until Nov. There were some new looking Duotones I saw on the beach, or maybe they have another kind of material. Maybe it will be a material arms race with all the companies. I guess we need some products to buy. Maybe if your boy cloud Greg gets some wings, you will then like somewing.
You misunderstand, Im not a Greg D fanboy, respect him plenty, but I was referring to GregK's post a few down from yours that outlined the long range plan of OR in bringing a new material to market is in the licensing just like they are doing with their bar tech.

This quite likely will be the beginning of an arms race in materials, its just that the big dogs are too lazy to start it and will likely pose as much obstacle as progress as they stumble over each other in effort to make their version of the wing,, I mean akunamallula. We saw it with the bow patent, most will obstruct and copy rather than just get the license. Brace yourself, plenty of fake news ahead with regard to materials. No matter, a good product will always carve itself a place.

Bit rich of you to call hype machine before product is on the market in light of your presence here so far hyping a sponsor's product that,,,, has yet to hit the market!

Jfoil
Rare Poster

Postby Jfoil » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:10 am

I’m really excited for a lighter wave kite. Thanks Ocean Rodeo, can’t wait

tilmann
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: St.Peter-Ording
Style: highspeedcarving
Gear: highspeedcarving board + 7m Slingshot Machine
Brand Affiliation: www.highspeedcarving.com

Postby tilmann » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:03 am

Mossy 757 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:50 pm
This is rad, I'm glad they're the ones putting this out because they have a dedicated and loyal following that will battle-test this stuff immediately.

Wouldn't it be sick if this was the answer to kiteracing and we finally got great, super-light-wind inflatable kites that finally put ram-airs to bed?
:thumb:

bjw
Medium Poster
Gear: Best

Postby bjw » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:07 am

Time will tell because its rare that the designers give the test kites to the riders who ride everyday like the pros. Ultimately testing is done by intermediate riders and the guys who ride everyday, use there current model.

Long story short. It takes 12 months for any problems to show up and be recognised.

Return to “Kitesurfing”