Style: Smooth, old school, wave carver
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam HL 6-7-8 & 9m. Aluula 10-12 & 14m
Nomad wave TT
Shared gear with adorable wife
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Postby Pana » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:46 pm

Had a couple sessions with the Roam 12.

90kg rider on a TT who freerides at home and carves waves when travelling. I bought the sail to replace an Enduro v1 hopping mainly to get better handling in that size whith a hope to make 12m wave riding an option (to date 10 m appears to be the fun factor limit) Was hesitant between choosng flite and roam for the 12 (did get a 14.5 flite) but leaned towards handling for the wave potential.

Tried it freeriding in freshwater with Very gusty 12-20 knots with onshore breaking chop.

In short it fulfills my xpectations. Flies like it’s on autopilot. Smooth power delivery and xcellent flying dynamics. Has all the power I need to TT at my weight, not grunty but plenty powerfull and so efficient. Flying is direct, fast, loops more pivotal than enduro (even in wave mode) does not flap when crossing the window in onshore riding. It´s a verrrry predictable kite, plug and play. Got the feeling of a highly maneuverable cross over kite. Jumps well with similar feeling hang time to the enduro in wave mode (perhaps a bit less than freeride mode). For those who desire more Freeride grunt and hang time the flite 12 would potentially be a better option but the handling isin’t as sweet. For me the roam checked all the boxes of what I wanted and I would recommend it for those who like to actively fly their kites, prefer all arpund finesse over grunt, the handling is simply awesome. Just to say ,at this point would be interested in demoing a roam 14 (to replace the flite) when they come out.

After trying both the flite and roam my feeling from the limited outings done so far is that although the aluula kites handle well in the high end, the trimming is sensitive and offers a large throttle adjustment, the kites become bar heavy in gusts as the power surge is felt more than absorbed. Don’t know if it has been the recent gusty conditions but have been adjusting trimming more often than i remember. To date my xperience is that these kites shine more in the lower end of their wide ( extended ) range and would probably gain in using a click type bar Adjustment to maximise trimming. I use an Ozone bar and to date never felt that a click type adjustment would be beneficial.

Can’t ait to try this sail in real waves in less than perfect wind conditions, but with the covid all our trips have been cancelled.

A few details...Would be nice to increase the range of use to have a bridal adjustment like on the reo/enduro/nexus. Not a fan of the kite bag material or size nor with the boston valve and strut clips that are hard to handle, but they do the job.

To the question is it worth the price difference...for me yes, no doubt for our large sails (we don’t foil). Could well live with dacron versions and do not plan to change all the rest of the quiver (I share 5 other sail with my wife) to aluula because of price and arguably (and for now) potential repair complication if ever needed when traveling. I know they are probably tougher but in waves shit happens and during past trips did need to have local repairs done.

As I stated in a previous post.....got the Golden grin. :D
These users thanked the author Pana for the post (total 3):
agio (Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:16 am) • turfAndsurf (Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:58 pm) • Naucala (Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:21 am)
Rating: 9.09%

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:02 am

Today, we had a good comparison between the Sonic3 18m and the Gold Flite 17m. Wind was intermittent and light with both kites on the water at times.

Relaunch - Sonic3 was better and took less of a puff to restart.

Turning - the Flite turns far better.

Power - Sonic3 as a larger kite and clearly has more power, it was on plane more often. Boosting was also better with the larger Sonic3.

Flight in the lightest wind - The Flite could fly in less wind than the Sonic3, perhaps a knot less. The rider could not actually get up on plane, but the kite was still in the air. If the Flite rider had been on a foilboard, he probably could have made it work.
These users thanked the author fernmanus for the post:
Gestalt (Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:54 am)
Rating: 3.03%

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:04 am

Had an AMAZING light wind session today with an 8m Aluula Roam and surf-sized foil ( Lift 170 Fish ). Love the way this kite handles, can't wait to fly it in higher wind.

Naucala
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 88
Local Beach: Germany, mostly on lake
Favorite Beaches: Mirns, Brouwersdam
Style: Freeride, boosting, old school, foiling
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Sonic3 9m,13m and 18m, Enduro V3 in 11m
Boards: Mio Board, Groove
Foil1: Chubanga V2
Foil2: Moses 633, 671

Postby Naucala » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:33 am

Pana wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:46 pm
Had a couple sessions with the Roam 12.

90kg rider on a TT who freerides at home and carves waves when travelling. I bought the sail to replace an Enduro v1 hopping mainly to get better handling in that size whith a hope to make 12m wave riding an option (to date 10 m appears to be the fun factor limit) Was hesitant between choosng flite and roam for the 12 (did get a 14.5 flite) but leaned towards handling for the wave potential.

Tried it freeriding in freshwater with Very gusty 12-20 knots with onshore breaking chop.

In short it fulfills my xpectations. Flies like it’s on autopilot. Smooth power delivery and xcellent flying dynamics. Has all the power I need to TT at my weight, not grunty but plenty powerfull and so efficient. Flying is direct, fast, loops more pivotal than enduro (even in wave mode) does not flap when crossing the window in onshore riding. It´s a verrrry predictable kite, plug and play. Got the feeling of a highly maneuverable cross over kite. Jumps well with similar feeling hang time to the enduro in wave mode (perhaps a bit less than freeride mode). For those who desire more Freeride grunt and hang time the flite 12 would potentially be a better option but the handling isin’t as sweet. For me the roam checked all the boxes of what I wanted and I would recommend it for those who like to actively fly their kites, prefer all arpund finesse over grunt, the handling is simply awesome. Just to say ,at this point would be interested in demoing a roam 14 (to replace the flite) when they come out.

After trying both the flite and roam my feeling from the limited outings done so far is that although the aluula kites handle well in the high end, the trimming is sensitive and offers a large throttle adjustment, the kites become bar heavy in gusts as the power surge is felt more than absorbed. Don’t know if it has been the recent gusty conditions but have been adjusting trimming more often than i remember. To date my xperience is that these kites shine more in the lower end of their wide ( extended ) range and would probably gain in using a click type bar Adjustment to maximise trimming. I use an Ozone bar and to date never felt that a click type adjustment would be beneficial.

Can’t ait to try this sail in real waves in less than perfect wind conditions, but with the covid all our trips have been cancelled.

A few details...Would be nice to increase the range of use to have a bridal adjustment like on the reo/enduro/nexus. Not a fan of the kite bag material or size nor with the boston valve and strut clips that are hard to handle, but they do the job.

To the question is it worth the price difference...for me yes, no doubt for our large sails (we don’t foil). Could well live with dacron versions and do not plan to change all the rest of the quiver (I share 5 other sail with my wife) to aluula because of price and arguably (and for now) potential repair complication if ever needed when traveling. I know they are probably tougher but in waves shit happens and during past trips did need to have local repairs done.

As I stated in a previous post.....got the Golden grin. :D
Hello Pana,

thanks for your review. I own the Ozone Enduro V1 too in 7 and 9 for upper 10 knots for Foiling. For light wind I use a 10 meter Onestrutter from PLKB Synergy. I`m 90% on very gusty lakes, so a quick turning Kite is a must, when wind changes from 6-12 Knots. The 12m Enduro was to heavy for me and not fast enough. Would you please say something to the turning speed? Is the 12m Aluula faster then the Enduro 12m?
Thankk you ! :)

palmbeacher
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear: Lift foils + Cabrinha kites

Postby palmbeacher » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:45 am

GregK wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:04 am
Had an AMAZING light wind session today with an 8m Aluula Roam and surf-sized foil ( Lift 170 Fish ). Love the way this kite handles, can't wait to fly it in higher wind.
What was the estimated windspeed in knots during your session?

Pana
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 200 lbs
Local Beach: Lake Champlain, Baie des Brises
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Paracuru, Santa Veronica
Style: Smooth, old school, wave carver
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam HL 6-7-8 & 9m. Aluula 10-12 & 14m
Nomad wave TT
Shared gear with adorable wife

Postby Pana » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:52 pm

Would you please say something to the turning speed? Is the 12m Aluula faster then the Enduro 12m?
[/quote]

Hi Naucala,

No comparison between the Enduro 12 and Roam 12. The roam is a wave kite and handles as figure of speech twice as fast. The handling is way more fun. From what I read on an other blog from a Ozone sponsored rider the roam is directly comparable to the Reo, known for its fast handling. That comparison stated that the roam was more direct, a bit faster flying and turning with a better low end. Arguably you will just not find a more manoeuvrable 12 m kite out there at this time (if you accept the price difference).

My biggest worry was for using a wave kite for TT riding at my weight and it covers that well. Same for upwind performance for witch I heard was not a strong point of the 12 Reo, hence some riders preferring the enduro at that size.
These users thanked the author Pana for the post:
Naucala (Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:55 am)
Rating: 3.03%

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:06 pm

Pana wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:52 pm
Naucala wrote: Would you please say something to the turning speed? Is the 12m Aluula faster then the Enduro 12m?
Hi Naucala,

No comparison between the Enduro 12 and Roam 12. The roam is a wave kite and handles as figure of speech twice as fast. The handling is way more fun. From what I read on an other blog from a Ozone sponsored rider the roam is directly comparable to the Reo, known for its fast handling. That comparison stated that the roam was more direct, a bit faster flying and turning with a better low end. Arguably you will just not find a more manoeuvrable 12 m kite out there at this time (if you accept the price difference).

My biggest worry was for using a wave kite for TT riding at my weight and it covers that well. Same for upwind performance for witch I heard was not a strong point of the 12 Reo, hence some riders preferring the enduro at that size.
How does the upwind performance of the 12m Roam Aluula compare with the 12m V2 Enduro when using a TT?

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle

Postby Ice101 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:46 pm

Any other brands bothered to try this stuff out yet? Considering it’s supposed to be yet another game changer it doesn’t seem to be catching on too fast and I know ocean rodeo had a year deal or what ever but surely that must nearly be up an still not heard other brands saying watch this space with it?

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:36 am

Maybe OR has an exclusive deal with them for the first year, or longer.

Another manufacturing company may come out with a competitive material also. Then again the manufacturer could release it under under another name, maybe with a small change.

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:19 am

I still don't know why someone has not simply purchased the rights to cuben fiber. Best had hammered out the kinks for designing kites around it and they went BK - thats an asset that would be useful to a company competing against Aluula based designs. Even better, someone else did the R&D to make it work. OR seems pretty level headed about monetizing beyond just their own brand; still if I had Duotone, Cabrinha (Neil Pryde Inc), or North’s (North Sails) bank I would snap up cf rights and compete it against Aluula.

Return to “Kitesurfing”