Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Aluula? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Forum for kitesurfers
Huib
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Brouwersdam, Ouddorp
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Full carbon Wave, Ketos 118cm board, Ketos Foil, BRM Cloud E8+ 6.2 +4.8+3.7+ 2.8+2.2
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Postby Huib » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:19 am

These users thanked the author Huib for the post:
Digdawg (Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:18 am)
Rating: 3.03%

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:14 am

The point about the cost is relative anyway. As I wrote in a previous post, if I can switch from a two kite quiver (speaking about light to medium wind, at the moment 11 and 15) to a one kite quiver, cost is less than before. Must wait some real world reviews to understand if the wind range is also higher due to the fact that the kite is very light and will stay in the air also in marginal winds. If I can kite in 9-10 knots with my Bronq XL and enjoy the sail up to 16/18, in my home spot an aluula Flite 12 can be the legendary one kite quiver. If it's less than 9-10, my FS Speed 21 can do the job magnifically :-)

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:27 pm

Ocean Rodeaaaao!

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:25 pm

pmaggie wrote: The point about the cost is relative anyway. As I wrote in a previous post, if I can switch from a two kite quiver (speaking about light to medium wind, at the moment 11 and 15) to a one kite quiver, cost is less than before. Must wait some real world reviews to understand if the wind range is also higher due to the fact that the kite is very light and will stay in the air also in marginal winds. If I can kite in 9-10 knots with my Bronq XL and enjoy the sail up to 16/18, in my home spot an aluula Flite 12 can be the legendary one kite quiver. If it's less than 9-10, my FS Speed 21 can do the job magnifically :-)
You can definitely get more low end with a lighter kite. How much depends if it is the weight that is limiting you. You won't get more top end. Generally though the range of most kites stays quite similar with slight weight differences, 50% is a lot though. I can already manage 6-45knots on one kite, need different boards though. No Aulula just regular fabric. Kite came out in 2008. Twas a good year for kites. Not made like that since! lol.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:53 pm

I'm about 180 lbs at the moment, one only month after Xmas it's not so bad :-))))
Joking of course. I own two boards, a Bronq 136x42 and a Bronq XL 150x50. The XL is a real light wind weapon, so I imagine that with a very light aluula 12 I'll be planing from about 9/10 to 18/20 knots, that is a dream in my home spot since we normally have 10 to 15/16. Under 10 knots there's the FS 21.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:17 pm

Hydrofoils are the light wind boards, particularly big ones.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:23 pm

cor wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:59 am
So I am convinced that in about 6 months ... we will see a lot of kites out there which come both as a normal and a premium (Aluula) version.
My thoughts also.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:37 pm

foilholio wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:25 pm
pmaggie wrote: The point about the cost is relative anyway. As I wrote in a previous post, if I can switch from a two kite quiver (speaking about light to medium wind, at the moment 11 and 15) to a one kite quiver, cost is less than before. Must wait some real world reviews to understand if the wind range is also higher due to the fact that the kite is very light and will stay in the air also in marginal winds. If I can kite in 9-10 knots with my Bronq XL and enjoy the sail up to 16/18, in my home spot an aluula Flite 12 can be the legendary one kite quiver. If it's less than 9-10, my FS Speed 21 can do the job magnifically :-)
You can definitely get more low end with a lighter kite. How much depends if it is the weight that is limiting you. You won't get more top end. Generally though the range of most kites stays quite similar with slight weight differences, 50% is a lot though. I can already manage 6-45knots on one kite, need different boards though. No Aulula just regular fabric. Kite came out in 2008. Twas a good year for kites. Not made like that since! lol.
You may not get more top end from a lighter kite made with current materials, but you probably will get more top end from using new material such as Aluula for LE and struts which would in turn enable the use of previously unviable wing designs.

Just for argument, if you could get, say, 2 knots lower and 1 knot higher wind range, this may not sound like much but with a typical 10-12m kite this really is a large increase in wind range

John Bryja
Rare Poster
Gear: Constantly testing different kites and boards.

Postby John Bryja » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:06 pm

Kitesurfing Magazine checks out the Aluula built Ocean Rodeo Roam kite.

These users thanked the author John Bryja for the post (total 6):
GregK (Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:22 am) • iriejohn (Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:36 am) • a99 (Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:42 am) • Digdawg (Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:39 am) • Guttorm (Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:27 am) • SENDIT! (Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:31 pm)
Rating: 18.18%

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:38 am

iriejohn wrote: You may not get more top end from a lighter kite made with current materials, but you probably will get more top end from using new material such as Aluula for LE and struts which would in turn enable the use of previously unviable wing designs.
Yes exactly. New materials can allow new designs. For example Bruno's high pressure kite.

iriejohn wrote: Just for argument, if you could get, say, 2 knots lower and 1 knot higher wind range, this may not sound like much but with a typical 10-12m kite this really is a large increase in wind range
You can get a lot more than that. Kites that change projected area have a huge range.

I think if this material's durability is reasonable it will be a huge success. Imagine what a strut less with this will be like? Could make the Peak 4 largely irrelevant.

Return to “Kitesurfing”