Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Forum for kitesurfers
Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 9m Element V3 7m V4 9m-5m
Crazyfly Bulldozer 2017 Firewire Hellrazor 6.1 timbertek Shinn Shinnster.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Postby Faxie » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:35 pm

ORSales wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:06 pm
alfredo68 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:31 pm
Does Aluula new material was being used in the past under another name and different uses???
It's an entirely new composite material Alfred, not sold previously under any other name / use.
How does the weave hold up after a long washing machine session? If it's uhmwpe based, that could be a point for concern in the long run I guess?

Have you made an exact similar kite with Aluula? What were the differences? (might be mentioned before, haven't read everything...)

Good you're trying new stuff though :thumb:

Greenturtle
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Gear: Turbine 19, Flite 17 & 12, Solo 9 & 6.5
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:38 pm

Faxie wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:25 pm
Greenturtle wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:32 pm
“The stuffs stronger and thats it”???
The whole point is that its LiGhTeR

Duct tape 8 or 10 bananas to the LE and struts on your midsize kite and report back whether you prefer its flight after this mod haha
Now imagine peeling that much weight OFF your current favorite kite instead... one happy monkey
Stronger for the same weight, so yeah you can make it lighter all other things equal. Doesn't change the way kites are designed.
Stronger for much much less weight in this case.

Seems to me that reducing a given designs weight by almost half could certainly warrant some changes to that design.
And could open doors to completely new designs that have merit only when in such lightweight construction.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 9m Element V3 7m V4 9m-5m
Crazyfly Bulldozer 2017 Firewire Hellrazor 6.1 timbertek Shinn Shinnster.

Postby Faxie » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:14 pm

Greenturtle wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:38 pm
Faxie wrote:
Greenturtle wrote:

Duct tape 8 or 10 bananas to the LE and struts on your midsize kite and report back whether you prefer its flight after this mod haha
Now imagine peeling that much weight OFF your current favorite kite instead... one happy monkey
Stronger for the same weight, so yeah you can make it lighter all other things equal. Doesn't change the way kites are designed.
Stronger for much much less weight in this case.

Seems to me that reducing a given designs weight by almost half could certainly warrant some changes to that design.
And could open doors to completely new designs that have merit only when in such lightweight construction.
We're saying the same. Dyneema is 3,5x stronger than polyester for the same dimensions, give or take, and 1,4x lighter. That would make it 5 times stronger for the same weight. So yeah, you can lose a lot of weight and keep all other things equal. But that doesn't mean you can all of a sudden design completely different types of kites. Current designs can be altered to accomodate the lower weight and different tube dimensions/stiffness/stretch properties, but that's something designers are always doing anyway. (strutless kites for instance have the same basic design than the much heavier 5 struts) The only viable design I can think of is an extremely high AR flat tubekite, but you'll lose the lightweight advantage a bit, and I doubt you can get the diameter small enough as rigidity goes to the 4th power of diameter.

I think this'll be a step forward, but as long as there won't be anything stronger than uhmwpe, this will be the end of the station. You're still not getting that 18m that turns like a 9m, or that 9m with the power of an 18m that you can ride from 5 to 50 knots...

dave1986
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: South Wales Beaches
North Devon Beaches
Rhosneigr
Ainsdale (when visiting family)
Gear: Naish Torch 12m/14m (2008)
Naish Ravens 8m/10m (2007)
Slingshot Fuel 6m/7m
North Evo's 6m/9m/12m
Flysurfer Speed 3 12m
Naish Thorn Twin Tip
Moses Onda 633/91cm mast.
Groove Skate Carbon L

Postby dave1986 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:31 pm

To say that Aluula is "10x stronger" is a little misleading as strength has many different meanings.

I assume they mean 10x stronger in tensile strength. However the material's resistance to shear or tearing/ cutting, torsional or twisting, abrasion resistance etc... may not be as impressive.

Therefore I would imagine there to be limitations to using too thin of a material on the leading edge to ensure it's resistance to sharp shells and abrasion on the beach etc... For example dyneema kite lines can look quite fluffy after a couple of seasons use.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:43 pm

dave1986 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:31 pm
To say that Aluula is "10x stronger" is a little misleading as strength has many different meanings.
:thumb:

These users thanked the author PullStrings for the post:
Gonzolinho (Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:08 pm)
Rating: 10%

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:02 pm

Gonzolinho wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:55 pm
Toby wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:22 pm
Greenturtle wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:08 pm

Gahhhhh it hurts my eyes to read such words haha!
Can’t you just use a really short bar or something Toby :D
using 18, inner bar connection, kite set to slow on bridles, 32m lines.

What else?
Try to be open minded to real kiteboarding :lol:
everyone else should! :bye:
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
Gonzolinho (Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:08 pm)

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby ORSales » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:50 pm

dave1986 wrote:

I assume they mean 10x stronger in tensile strength. However the material's resistance to shear or tearing/ cutting, torsional or twisting, abrasion resistance etc... may not be as impressive.

Therefore I would imagine there to be limitations to using too thin of a material on the leading edge to ensure it's resistance to sharp shells and abrasion on the beach etc... For example dyneema kite lines can look quite fluffy after a couple of seasons use.
ORSales wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:28 pm
nixmatters wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:33 am
At 70gsm it just CANNOT be 10x Stronger (breaking strength) than any quality dacron used for LE! :nono:
Tear Strength... I strongly doubt that too!
When we officially launch we will have some lab test results from Aluula that we intend to use to bolster the claims so hold tight for the "science" but the 10x claim we're making is - if anything - modest. It's tearing strength, not tensile and it's in comparison to 160gsm Dacron.

As you can see in the video, with a hole cut in the Aluula material there is simply no way to tear the material by hand. Whereas with a similar knick or cut in Dacron, the material can be torn very easily by hand.
I also hope to have some video supporting these claims shortly. Our timeline on the launch of the material got bumped up on us by that video's release so just hang tight - we will have more to follow shortly!
These users thanked the author ORSales for the post:
Toby (Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:52 am)

nixmatters
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: custom made

Postby nixmatters » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:30 am

ORSales wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:50 pm
dave1986 wrote:

ORSales wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:28 pm

When we officially launch we will have some lab test results from Aluula that we intend to use to bolster the claims so hold tight for the "science" but the 10x claim we're making is - if anything - modest. It's tearing strength, not tensile and it's in comparison to 160gsm Dacron.

As you can see in the video, with a hole cut in the Aluula material there is simply no way to tear the material by hand. Whereas with a similar knick or cut in Dacron, the material can be torn very easily by hand.
I also hope to have some video supporting these claims shortly. Our timeline on the launch of the material got bumped up on us by that video's release so just hang tight - we will have more to follow shortly!
Yeah! How did you end up with such a lame 'official' launch of probably the biggest material innovation in our sport to date?

As for the "10x Stronger" claim, after seeing the Insta video and giving it some more thought - yes, it's very realistic provided the pros (& cons) of UHMWPE and how Aluula differs to dacron in weave density and coating. And common LE dacron 150D warp tear strength is anyway half of a 40D canopy ripstop.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:53 am

Faxie wrote:
Greenturtle wrote:

It will be a lot stiffer, and I imagine that will influence the design.

I imagine Peter Stiewe at elevate kiteboarding has some working knowledge on this.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core Riot XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby pmaggie » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:22 am

Anyway, I think that just the announce of this new technology has immediate effect on the market. In my case, I planned to replace my 15 this year, and the nr. 1 candidate was a foil kite or a strutless pump. After reading this thread about Aluula I'm going to wait, I want to see the new kites before I decide.

Return to “Kitesurfing”