Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Forum for kitesurfers
knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1789
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:49 am
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 131 times
Been thanked: 126 times

Re: Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Postby knotwindy » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:52 am

So go ahead and pump harder, your kite does bend less with higher inflation pressure.
Huh, thanks, never would have noticed :roll: :-? :lol:

User avatar
pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 847
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:54 am
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Como Lake - Italy
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Postby pmaggie » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:11 am

What I frankly can't understand is that in the Ocean Rodeo site there is the "2020 kites" page but no mention to the new Aluula models. About the Razor they say: "Now in its 8th generation, the Razor is built tough and light, with time-tested materials and construction techniques". That means no Aluula for the moment...

flaps1111
Frequent Poster
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 5:57 am
Local Beach: Safor Beaches and Costa Blanca, Valencia, Spain- Tarifa.
Favorite Beaches: Playa Blanca Cancun, POP republica Dominicana. Medano TFS, Sotavento and Flag beach FUE.
Style: Freeride, HF, kitesurfing strapless
Gear: Custom AA freerace and surfboard, Moses 425 AA HF.
Kites: North fuse 9m, 12m Noth Dyno 18m, Airush Ultra 12m, LF Solo 12m, Ozone Chrono v1 12m.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Postby flaps1111 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:37 pm

Cuben fiber 2.0

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 802
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:25 pm
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:47 pm

pmaggie wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:11 am
What I frankly can't understand is that in the Ocean Rodeo site there is the "2020 kites" page but no mention to the new Aluula models. About the Razor they say: "Now in its 8th generation, the Razor is built tough and light, with time-tested materials and construction techniques". That means no Aluula for the moment...
Its under the heading 'Black'.

https://oceanrodeo.eu/black/

User avatar
jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1423
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:36 pm
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 205 times
Been thanked: 410 times

Re: Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:30 pm

flaps1111 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:37 pm
Cuben fiber 2.0
I don't get this type of dismissal. Isn't a 2.0 version that overcomes the issues found with any initial promising concept totally desirable?

If you can remember the Hellfish, I'm pretty sure Ocean Rodeo does too. The fact Cuben was such a bust gives me greater confidence this material is indeed a significant improvement. If your gonna jump in with a new material, you had better know your not simply making the same mistake! What was that? 15 years ago?! It's a bit sad how bad it scared the pant's off major industry kite designers. They haven't even attempted to improve materials with anything more than a strand of ripstop since. I think Ocean Rodeo are smart enough to do the betta testing themselves before even letting word leak.

We've had over a decade of "anti stiction" and "future C" "technology".

F&%k that. Give me Cuban fiber 2.0 !
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post (total 3):
knotwindy (Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:06 pm) • iriejohn (Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:24 pm) • SENDIT! (Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:25 pm)
Rating: 25%

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1970
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:42 pm
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 159 times

Re: Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Postby Matteo V » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:49 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:30 pm
flaps1111 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:37 pm
Cuben fiber 2.0
I don't get this type of dismissal. Isn't a 2.0 version that overcomes the issues found with any initial promising concept totally desirable?

If you can remember the Hellfish, I'm pretty sure Ocean Rodeo does too. The fact Cuben was such a bust gives me greater confidence this material is indeed a significant improvement. If your gonna jump in with a new material, you had better know your not simply making the same mistake! What was that? 15 years ago?! It's a bit sad how bad it scared the pant's off major industry kite designers. They haven't even attempted to improve materials with anything more than a strand of ripstop since. I think Ocean Rodeo are smart enough to do the betta testing themselves before even letting word leak.

We've had over a decade of "anti stiction" and "future C" "technology".

F&%k that. Give me Cuban fiber 2.0 !
It is pretty simple. How have they overcome the issues of a no stretch material mated to a material that does stretch? - remember that it could be a few years before we see aluula canopy material.

More specifically, what is the 3 year wear use/storage cycle characteristics of the completed product?

It's good that you want to jump into this head first and see what happens. I'll err on the side of caution as it could be a big risk to re selling a kite that gets in the spotlight for having issues. But if any company can do this right, it's Ocean Rodeo.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3429
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:20 am
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 227 times
Been thanked: 143 times

Re: Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Postby foilholio » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:39 am

I think the issue with cuben has always been the lamination of different materials. Surely the solution is to just weave the materials together like normal fabric. I mean by laminating things together you are not just trying to use a new material but reinvent fabric. Reinvent a proven 1000's year old technology, like trying to reinvent the wheel.

User avatar
purdyd
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1570
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:00 am
Has thanked: 164 times
Been thanked: 139 times

Re: Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Postby purdyd » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:35 pm

There is a Gartner hype cycle.
CD68F666-3E70-44CF-97BF-629089721B62.jpeg
https://www.diamandis.com/blog/5-stages ... hype-cycle

In my experience, the higher the initial hype, the deeper the trough of disillusionment

For instance while hellfish was not successful in using cuben fiber, it was subsequently used without issues in the leading edge of kites.

But what does everyone remember?

I think at this juncture it would be best to have a little bit of cautious optimism and manage some expectations.

Expectations in terms of performance and availability.

User avatar
jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1423
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:36 pm
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 205 times
Been thanked: 410 times

Re: Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:49 pm

Looking at how best announced the introduction of cuban fibre compared to how Ocean Rodeo are phrasing their marketing on Aluula. It's pretty clear Ocean Rodeo are taking a comparatively understated approach.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
iriejohn (Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:51 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

User avatar
purdyd
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1570
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:00 am
Has thanked: 164 times
Been thanked: 139 times

Re: Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Postby purdyd » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:04 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:49 pm
Looking at how best announced the introduction of cuban fibre compared to how Ocean Rodeo are phrasing their marketing on Aluula. It's pretty clear Ocean Rodeo are taking a comparatively understated approach.
Perhaps, I’ve heard some interesting claims and the other problem is that there is an amplifying echo affect from people.

Example you.

I’ve also come across perfectly normal people talking about aluula. One guy told me aluula was made completely of graphene.

I think the hype is higher than you realize.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Dave_5280, Google [Bot], Havre, Tony, UrosR and 35 guests