Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Aluula? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Forum for kitesurfers
foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3429
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:20 am
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 227 times
Been thanked: 144 times

Re: Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Postby foilholio » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:58 pm

Been using kites that "float" since forever. Welcome.


Never new you couldn't see something in a photo,but do continue. Have you thought of a career in climate science?

User avatar
jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:17 pm
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 33 times

Re: Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Postby jkrug » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:54 pm

my 10M's are plenty fast (turning) enough, so i could never justify that price for them. but i've never flown a fast 12M, they're all dogs, and here's where the aluula might be worth it. would have to try before buy though, so hope they do some demo tours with the stuff.

EastCC
Medium Poster
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:11 am
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo - Australia
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 5 times
Contact:

Re: Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Postby EastCC » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:30 pm

foilholio wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:58 pm
Been using kites that "float" since forever. Welcome.


Never new you couldn't see something in a photo,but do continue. Have you thought of a career in climate science?

I'm not arguing foils vs LEI or climate change. :remybussi:

You can see it in a photo sure, tbh I was a bit under impressed when I saw that unboxing video. But actually seeing / touching it you can see the Aluula material is well made and bonded, strong and rigid when inflated, and well stitched.

That's what I meant.

If you get an opportunity to try one do it and form your own opinion.
Last edited by EastCC on Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EastCC
Medium Poster
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:11 am
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo - Australia
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 5 times
Contact:

Re: Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Postby EastCC » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:32 pm

jkrug wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:54 pm
my 10M's are plenty fast (turning) enough, so i could never justify that price for them. but i've never flown a fast 12M, they're all dogs, and here's where the aluula might be worth it. would have to try before buy though, so hope they do some demo tours with the stuff.
Yeah there's some bigger guys interested in seeing what a 12 would be like.
It is really not just about the speed of the kite, even though that's a major plus, the light weight and frame rigidity makes it very nimble and responsive to input.

Anyways I hope you get to try one, if so report back.
Last edited by EastCC on Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 756
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:55 pm
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 93 times
Been thanked: 102 times

Re: Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Postby slowboat » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:54 pm

EastCC wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:11 pm
I've had the Aluula Roam 10m here for a few days now, albeit in light winds, and a few peeps have had a run on it now, twintippers, SB and foilers.
All the feedback is the same, light, quick and responsive, super smooth, fantastic kite.
Wave riding and foiling is going to be crazy on this kite, it doesn't drift it floats. You have so much confidence in the kite.

Pricing, it'll be different for everyone whether they decide it's worth it for them, but for me - now I've been there I'm not sure I can go back.
My 2020 Roam 10m felt like a 15m when I changed back to it.

Talk of low thread count etc, you need to actually physically see the material before making assumptions. A photo doesn't do it justice.
Sounds great but they will need to make kites smaller than a 5 for serious wave foilers.

User avatar
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2347
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Weight: 80kg, 1.76m
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9076° W (UK South Coast)
Gear: Lieuwe Shotguns
Ozone Enduro V2s
Flite 14.5 Aluula
Duotone Fish
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Noviomagus Reginorum
Has thanked: 397 times
Been thanked: 199 times

Re: Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Postby iriejohn » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:25 pm

EastCC wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:11 pm
I've had the Aluula Roam 10m here for a few days now, albeit in light winds, and a few peeps have had a run on it now, twintippers, SB and foilers.
All the feedback is the same, light, quick and responsive, super smooth, fantastic kite.

Wave riding and foiling is going to be crazy on this kite, it doesn't drift it floats. You have so much confidence in the kite.

Pricing, it'll be different for everyone whether they decide it's worth it for them, but for me - now I've been there I'm not sure I can go back.
My 2020 Roam 10m felt like a 15m when I changed back to it.

Talk of low thread count etc, you need to actually physically see the material before making assumptions. A photo doesn't do it justice.
foilholio wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:58 pm
Been using kites that "float" since forever. Welcome.

Never new you couldn't see something in a photo,but do continue. Have you thought of a career in climate science?
It's puzzling that in spite of the fact that you have had no personal experience of the kite, you readily dismiss the judgement of people who have had hands on experience of the kite.

EastCC
Medium Poster
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:11 am
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo - Australia
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 5 times
Contact:

Re: Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Postby EastCC » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:42 pm

slowboat wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:54 pm
EastCC wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:11 pm
I've had the Aluula Roam 10m here for a few days now, albeit in light winds, and a few peeps have had a run on it now, twintippers, SB and foilers.
All the feedback is the same, light, quick and responsive, super smooth, fantastic kite.
Wave riding and foiling is going to be crazy on this kite, it doesn't drift it floats. You have so much confidence in the kite.

Pricing, it'll be different for everyone whether they decide it's worth it for them, but for me - now I've been there I'm not sure I can go back.
My 2020 Roam 10m felt like a 15m when I changed back to it.

Talk of low thread count etc, you need to actually physically see the material before making assumptions. A photo doesn't do it justice.
Sounds great but they will need to make kites smaller than a 5 for serious wave foilers.
Yeah, I think they'd need to slow the kites down though.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3429
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:20 am
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 227 times
Been thanked: 144 times

Re: Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Postby foilholio » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:52 pm

iriejohn wrote: It's puzzling that in spite of the fact that you have had no personal experience of the kite, you readily dismiss the judgement of people who have had hands on experience of the kite.
No I dismiss marketing BS. I am sure the kite will fly great. It is expensive, and durability is not fully known yet. I readilied dismissed the judgement of most everyone on foil kites. They seem to be gaining popularity. Who would guess that cheap, durable, kites that you don't need to pump would be liked by people? Certainly not many in the this silly industry. Apparently what is liked and needed is 100's of versions of a chickenloop. Someone is really out of touch and I would bet it is not me.

I do congratulate Aluula for this new material. When it is proven out to be as durable or more than current fabrics and the price has dropped a lot, I will enjoy a foil kite in 10g/m2 with a 12m weighing less than 1kg. I am guessing that will be about 10 years from now.

User avatar
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2347
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Weight: 80kg, 1.76m
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9076° W (UK South Coast)
Gear: Lieuwe Shotguns
Ozone Enduro V2s
Flite 14.5 Aluula
Duotone Fish
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Noviomagus Reginorum
Has thanked: 397 times
Been thanked: 199 times

Re: Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Postby iriejohn » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:20 am

foilholio wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:52 pm
iriejohn wrote: It's puzzling that in spite of the fact that you have had no personal experience of the kite, you readily dismiss the judgement of people who have had hands on experience of the kite.
No I dismiss marketing BS.
If you think that it's all lies then that's your prerogative.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3534
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:15 am
Style: Professional Online Kitebored Commenter.
Gear: Flysurfer VMGs 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18. Foilboard ( Masts 75 110 125 Wings 880 1100 1350) with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.
Has thanked: 93 times
Been thanked: 158 times

Re: Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:58 am

This obsession with gear is ridiculous, when can kiteforum get back to actual riding instead of being a kind of gossip sewing circle.

Out of 1000, this is how much this material will effect your riding > > > You will be poorer.

i have ridden a cloud (lighter than these) - super light, standard materials, and not excessively expensive.
These users thanked the author longwhitecloud for the post:
foilholio (Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:05 am)
Rating: 6.67%


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 104 guests