Flysurfer Sonic FR 15
CORE Fusion TT
North Nugget
Nobile Infinity Wave split
F-one HF
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Postby Averagejoel » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:48 pm

The order is placed, a Roam 10m A-series coming my way soon. But 8-12 weeks wait, unbearable! 😂

Pierrot
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 80
Gear: Aluula Roam 10m, North neo 10m, 7m, 5m
Hydrofoil Ketos,

Postby Pierrot » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:17 am

Another awesome session on the roam 10. Foil in sub 10knt, picking-up to 10-12knt.
Over 90% success on foot switch both sides. Same for 360s... Conditions were perfect but a kite super easy to fly definitely helps!

I think I identified what makes the 10m so fun for me in light wind.
I still think it does not have much more low end than another 10m, but basically in conditions were a regular 10 will get you going only if you wait for the right gust, have perfect timing for looping, and any mistake or temporary drop of the wind means game-over, the aluula 10m flies like it is in the middle of its wind range = stable at 12, doesn’t fall in the window, does not loose line tension, turns with no delay...
That peace of mind really makes you focus on your riding and milking every drop of power from the kite.

Downside is that I used to say “if my 10 can fly I can ride”. Not true anymore. 8)

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:20 pm

Foiled on 7m Rally, dropping in water few times and relaunching it at event site yesterday. Get onto lawn and see a guy with pumped 14.5m golden LE Flite. He needed the size of kite to ride, not the lightness to keep it in the air.

Pana
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 200 lbs
Local Beach: Lake Champlain, Baie des Brises
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Paracuru, Santa Veronica
Style: Smooth, old school, wave carver
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam HL 6-7-8 & 9m. Aluula 10-12 & 14m
Nomad wave TT
Shared gear with adorable wife

Re: Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from oean Rodeo

Postby Pana » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:04 pm

Finally got two sessions with the flite 14.5, bare with my English it is not my mother tongue.

Got the Golden Grin ! :D

As an intro I would mention it is difficult to get excited about a 14 m kite, for me it means you live in a place with very variable wind and that size is a session saver especially if you weigh 90+ kg (200+ pounds). I do not foil so I only get xcited when general whitecaps appear and 12m just does not make it happen (fun riding with a larger TT board ex 153x43). Had a 14m Enduro since they came out and it did a fair job but was looking for something with more finesse, faster flying, and that handled better in minimal winds. I don’t think the Enduro is a light wind (lw) design, and when my wife would try it in the lowest wind it sometimes front stalled, and because of that she had stopped using it. In the 13-16 kt range I was using it it handled well and never stalled but I was more and more avoiding the kite and waiting to go out on the 12 Enduro (forcing my wife to go out on 10). It was time to update and Aluula appeared...ordered n feb, recieved 2 weeks ago (but still waitng for the Roam 12 ordered at the same time).

First session was 7 to 13kn with a squall well over 20kt. Second was 11 to 16 kt.

I have come to the conclusion I can mow the lawn in 10kn but that the lower fun level is 12 kt. Upper range fully trimmed is probably 18-19 kt and the kite handles well fully trimed. I do not xpect to use it past 16 kt or so. In the squal of probably 25 kt I was surprised how stable it was at 12 but was scared to moove it to the side window.

First impression is that the kite flies in nothingness. You simply cannot stall the thing, it’s like on a Tesla autopilot. Looks like my wife will be happy, presume her range will be 8-9 to 13-14 kt.

Second impression is performance, give the kite a bit of apparent wind and it goes and goes. Grunt is similar to my Enduro (of memory) but the power delivery is more consistent as the upstroke is more efficient and also the kite flies and turns faster offering more power potential when you drive it.

Third impression is predictability. The feel is fun, plug and play. Goes upwind well, downloops lke a charm it just does all it is to xpected to do and if you goof going down wind it is so cool, forgiving. The power management of the trow is verry gradual, very Ozone like. It did surprise me once shooting up faster than anticipated in a drift launch. And you need to tie the thing to the ground beached, the autopilot want’s to kick in.

In conclusion it put the fun back into 14m riding. Of the wish list in the kite change it ticks all the boxes. Wort the extra dollar for the reasons mentionned above. Will also be a great addition for the trips in the Carebean like Cuba that often have low teen winds.

Details...reverse pigtails, small bag, the std pump fitting of vwmg does not fit well and lost air, had to use the xtention fitting. Aluula seems to take longer to dry the kite (inside leading edge). Nice thin bridal, kite looks great esthetically, minor colour imperfections in canopy materials.
These users thanked the author Pana for the post:
Digdawg (Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:17 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Pierrot
Frequent Poster
Hydrofoil Ketos,

Re: Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from oean Rodeo

Postby Pierrot » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:01 am

Last session today on the roam 10 in the magdalen islands. Back to Montreal tomorrow. Started in 14knt, wind progressively dropped to Below 8knt Still made it back to the launch spot. Nothing to add on the kite. Superb behavior! Any other kite, pretty sure I would have been swimming.

Now a few “surprises”

1- my kite “squeaks”... when turning aggressively. At the beginning I thought it was a bird. But it is indeed coming from the kite when turning hard.
The only thing i could think of is that it is coming from the pulley.... I checked on the beach. They are not jammed and work fine but seem to make some noise under tension/pressure.... why on earth aren’t all brands using sliders with no moving parts...
Pana wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:04 pm

Details...reverse pigtails, small bag, the std pump fitting of vwmg does not fit well and lost air, had to use the xtention fitting. Aluula seems to take longer to dry the kite (inside leading edge). Nice thin bridal, kite looks great esthetically, minor colour imperfections in canopy materials.
2- i also found some white spots on the blue canopy. Initially I thought it was worn canopy (???) which would have been surprising after ~10 sessions and given how careful I am with this baby. But seems to be more A minor issue with the colour of the ripstop.
@pana, is that the same thing you are referring to when talking colour imperfections?

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:56 pm

All of the customers that have bought Aluulas from us so far have said positive things about it. One guy bought an 8m, said it lived up to the hype and bough a 10m a few days later.

y2kBug
Rare Poster
Gear: All kinds

Postby y2kBug » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:45 pm

Are models other than Roam 10m and Flight 14.5m available for shipping? Any ETA on Roam 9m and Flight 12m?

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:14 am

y2kBug wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:45 pm
Are models other than Roam 10m and Flight 14.5m available for shipping? Any ETA on Roam 9m and Flight 12m?
Yes, we have everything in stock except the 12m and 17m.

www.adventurekiteboarding.com

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:05 am

Any new Aluula kite & hydrofoil owners finding incredible top end on these kites, or just me ?

Most of the time I'm riding a surf-sized hydrofoil with either a 3-strut or strutless kite about half the size TT riders are using, I'm free-ride foilling strapless, working on tacks or riding wind-swell if available. Have an Aluula 10m Roam which is an awesome light-wind foiling kite, but I'm finding if the wind picks up considerably, it's still so easy to foil with it, way more than any other similar-sized Dacron kite I've flown.

Looking forward to our higher-wind season kicking in soon so I can learn how this kite handles the steady higher-power flying that TT and surfboard riding requires.
These users thanked the author GregK for the post:
Averagejoel (Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:55 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Pierrot
Frequent Poster
Hydrofoil Ketos,

Postby Pierrot » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:52 am

GregK wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:05 am
Any new Aluula kite & hydrofoil owners finding incredible top end on these kites, or just me?
I concur! I was out this morning riding the roam 10 on TT in gusty / strong wind this morning. Well powered but did not feel over... jumps were pretty good.
I came back and a friend on a neo 10 had the kite half depowered... I experienced the same thing when foiling. top end is really good.

Return to “Kitesurfing”