Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Wetsuit neopren boots not holding my foot?

Forum for kitesurfers
badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Re: Wetsuit neopren boots not holding my foot?

Postby badgb21 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:47 pm

I implore you to get another, larger kite!
Your board sounds fine.

I know, I know they cost more than a first born, but it'll be worth it ;)

I'm heavier than you and use a 15m Contra, great for what I want these days.
Not tried this, but might be on the list if I was looking today, reasonable too.

https://www.spleene-kiteboarding.com/st ... 15-5m.html

[/quote]
Good advice, thanks. Problem is one needs wind to be powered 😂. Even with 145x48 and 12 m kite and my 95 kgI need at least 16-17 mph to keep going :-) Can actually consistently go right now 😂. With this global warming and sh*t Scotland has no wind, bum!
Getting there now as I at least do not have to wait for a holiday to kitesurf!
The plan is to learn to stay upwind until end of August - exactly as you suggest...
[/quote]
These users thanked the author badgb21 for the post:
sergei Scotland (Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:10 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby iriejohn » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:27 pm

Go barefoot?

(Haven't read the whole thread, sorry ;-) )
These users thanked the author iriejohn for the post:
sergei Scotland (Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:20 pm)

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:20 am

sergei Scotland wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:48 pm
nothing2seehere wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:36 am
Foil wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:52 am
i had exactly the same problem for many years, even the big toe infection problem caused by the sloppy fitting boot.
I have never had a problem since changing to the "dive boot" from decathlon '£13 a pair, not thick rubber, but thinish 3mm soft stretch neoprene upper with very flexible thin sole, and they also have a very helpful rubber spur at the heel to help removal as they do suck on. calling them dive boots is misleading as they are very flexible, the little rubber spur at the rear is to hold flippers on more securely if ever used, but its so helpful for boot removal.
choosing the right size is the problem, snug is the right size for me, half a size smaller than my normal shoe size, i did get a full size down but that hurt after a few hours and was hell to remove, lesson learnt, but at the cost not a big issue,
Was about to make exactly the same recommendation. I have both the low cut and high cut booties. You can buy the snug size as they do stretch by maybe half a size up after a while. I wore mine around the house to get them to stretch
Thanks nothing2see, Foil.
In fact I saw one of you recommend those in some other thread here and I am getting one if those toady in the post hopefully. The 13 GBP version:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/scd-3mm-div ... 31593.html
If was not sure about them as they do not have an ankle strap at all so I am a bit worried they won't actually hold the foot to stop it sliding forward etc.
But having both of you recommending it probably means they do work! And being cheap and easy to return /exchange I gave them a try. Will report here as to how it worked for me...
Mine are actually this style: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-3mm-neo ... 03244.html

Slightly different and a £1 more. Probably the only difference is the thickness of the soles?
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post:
sergei Scotland (Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:09 pm)

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:50 pm

Sergie,
Split toe etc may help but I doubt that you will find a boot to totally solve your problem, they are not designed for walking with the pull of a kite.

If bare foot is not an option try a rope slider rather than fixed hook, sliders make the walk significantly easier. You can also invest in some silicon toe protectors, I use these under body boarding fins and they make a significant difference in comfort. They are cheap and stay in place mostly!

You can also help yourself by sheeting out and or trimming the kite to minimise the pull, make sure you are flying it not wrestling it back up the beach. No doubt you have been told to keep the kite low better to be dragged than lofted. However if you can definitely say that there is no chance of lofting or losing control you can fly the kite higher to take the pressure off your feet. But you must understand the risk you would be taking and have room to eject safely by realeasing the qr. You need to talk through this last bit of advice with an experienced local rider to see if it is valid for you.
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
sergei Scotland (Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:20 pm)

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:59 pm

Sergie,.

Keeping your toenails as short as you can also helps to reduce bootie damage but I doubt that is news to you. Walking broad of close-hauled and tacking up the beach will also lessen the foot pressure required.

Of course all this cr#p goes away once you learn to ride with proper power. There is a standard answer to anyone telling you your on the walk of shame it starts and ends with "F".
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
sergei Scotland (Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:19 pm)

sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha 2014 9m
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:59 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:20 am
Mine are actually this style: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-3mm-neo ... 03244.html

Slightly different and a £1 more. Probably the only difference is the thickness of the soles?
Thanks, I actually missed those. I got the other £13 version and they do not work for me - because of the shape of the sole. They are too narrow and pointy so all toes are squeezed together too much. Main problem for me seems to be that they curve outside from the base of the big toe - too much.
Plus they are a bit short for my size 🔟.

Those £15 version look better wider shaped nose of the sole-I mean looking from below. The shape looks a lot like most more expensive 60£+ boots. It is quit obvious actually that most expensive models have this particar shape.
I will give them a go!

sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:17 pm

badgb21 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:47 pm
I implore you to get another, larger kite!
Your board sounds fine.

I know, I know they cost more than a first born, but it'll be worth it ;)

I'm heavier than you and use a 15m Contra, great for what I want these days.
Not tried this, but might be on the list if I was looking today, reasonable too.

https://www.spleene-kiteboarding.com/st ... 15-5m.html
Thanks, Kev. I actually got a 2011 Turbine last week from ebay and tried it once, but wind died completely very quickly. I am happy kite works so hopefully will be able to kite more now. I think it will get me going from 12 mph
Last edited by sergei Scotland on Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author sergei Scotland for the post:
badgb21 (Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:42 am)

sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:29 pm

ScoopZ wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:22 pm
I had 5 out of 7 days last week over by Edinburgh, with more on the way early next week.

No substitute for time on the water, it's commitment that pulls you through the tough stages. Delayed gratification.
I was in St Andrews this Sunday 23rd, cought some 15mph for a while. Work means I mostly do weekends.
I actually have a blast every time I go.
Immediate gratification for me 😂 The harder it is the more fun it is IMHO.
It would be boring if it was easy!

sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:38 pm

apollo4000 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:36 pm
I fixed this with split toe.
Thanks, apollo - what make and model fixed it for you? Did it take the load off your big toe effectively?

I kind of start to think it might be more about distributing pressure between big and the rest of the toes equally which might help. I. E. shape of the sole towards the front?

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:49 pm

sergei Scotland wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:38 pm
apollo4000 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:36 pm
I fixed this with split toe.
Thanks, apollo - what make and model fixed it for you? Did it take the load off your big toe effectively?

I kind of start to think it might be more about distributing pressure between big and the rest of the toes equally which might help. I. E. shape of the sole towards the front?
I use different things for different conditions...

Big windy days - I changed because my foot, when wet, would move about in the boot and scrunch my toes due to the effect of countering the power of the kite on windy days, especially walking over slippery surfaces such as wave polished rock when knackered.

Now I feel more secure on my feet and I don’t have any toe issues. C-Skins Session ST 6.0mm. Only downsides of these boot are they are thick and I need to fiddle about with the straps.

When lighter wind and warmer, I use Atan Kevlar boots which don’t have a split toe.

I use Kevlar socks for summer holidays in warmer waters which as split as socks.

I always protect my feet as I hate cutting my feet, get very annoyed about it...my foibles

Return to “Kitesurfing”