Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Light wind kite advice

Forum for kitesurfers
lightwind
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Velika plaza, Ulcinj
Gear: Cabrinha Contra 13m, Epic Screamer 10m LTD, CF Tango 9m, North Vegas 10, CF Raptor Pro, RRD K-free 60
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Light wind kite advice

Postby lightwind » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:01 pm

I sold my freerace board in last moment and switched to foil. That type of board is good for practicing some basic surfboard skills. Also could be the way towards foiling. If you are not interested in foiling go for big twintip. If you would like to ride foil in future find some directional light wind machine (north nugget, rrd k-free, sector...)

RagingGrandpa
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Michigan
Style: TT, HF, SB, snow, ice
Gear: nothing special

Postby RagingGrandpa » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:20 pm

Michaelr123 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:55 pm
I've been reading up on free-race boards, something like an airush sector v3. Any opinions on these?
Mossy 757 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:30 pm
Lots of good feedback, that's a solid choice. I know a lot of guys who wish they'd just purchased a foil with the money, though.
lightwind wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:01 pm
I sold my freerace board in last moment and switched to foil. That type of board is good for practicing some basic surfboard skills. Also could be the way towards foiling. If you are not interested in foiling go for big twintip. If you would like to ride foil in future find some directional light wind machine (north nugget, rrd k-free, sector...)
^ +1. Old used Sector 54 for cheap lightwind and footwork training, then foil. Zero appeal to owning the Sector after hydrofoiling, sold it. I'll also confirm the Sector was bad at catching vegetation and running aground- not very versatile.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:38 pm

Michaelr123 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:55 pm
I am really interested in a surfboard type setup for cruising. I think that would be a blast to get out and just enjoy free-riding with. I feel like can do that and practice my kite handling over the summer in preparation for better wind in the fall when I can get my normal-ish sized twin tip out again.
Here is a great set-up for you....this efficient surfboard... the 5'3" x 21... if your water has weeds from time to time...order those fins
Yes it will cost you money $$$

Combine that with a 17 sqm light wind kite and you will have some fun
Last edited by PullStrings on Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:57 pm

Most here seem to not realize that no one here with experience has ever faced the choices you have now.

Foils are so new, and light wind free race directionals just recently fell out of favor. Virtually no kiter has seen a comparison between a beginner taking these two routes:

1. Beginner twin tip directly to foil

2. Beginner twin tip to LW TT to surfboard to foil.

So the advice you are getting here is either going to be considered "old school", or it will still be valid going forward.

My advice would be to get a light wind twin tip and a bigger kite eventually. I am basing this mostly off of where you are actually kiting. Good luck and report back here with which advice you think would have been best once you get a little more experience.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000

Postby Flyboy » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:11 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:57 pm
Most here seem to not realize that no one here with experience has ever faced the choices you have now.

Foils are so new, and light wind free race directionals just recently fell out of favor. Virtually no kiter has seen a comparison between a beginner taking these two routes:

So the advice you are getting here is either going to be considered "old school", or it will still be valid going forward.

My advice would be to get a light wind twin tip and a bigger kite eventually. I am basing this mostly off of where you are actually kiting. Good luck and report back here with which advice you think would have been best once you get a little more experience.
Yeah, exactly. I would definitely start off with a simple ... & cheap ... light wind TT, like the one from Real. As your kite skills progress you will be able to weigh the options to take the next step.

Michaelr123
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 18
Local Beach: Mendota / Monona
Gear: Liquid Force NV V8 12m
mission control bar v2 20+3+4m lines
2019 Liquid Force edge 143cm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Michaelr123 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:40 pm

wow I'm a bit overwhelmed at all the feedback! Obviously a lot very passionate people about an awesome sport! :)

I think this will be a fun adventure to figure out, and maybe write a bit about what it's like starting kiteboarding in 2019 in the midwest on inland lakes?
- I ordered a set of 4m PKS extensions for my lines, so now i have a liquid force mission control V2 with 20+3+4m lines. that should give me a bit more oomph on the lightwind / spotty days.
- I'm going to get out and start practicing the opposite front line with control line method for launching. Hopefully learning that will get me up in the air more consistently and with less weeds as summer drags on.
- I think I'm going to wait on the door board and then a bigger kite (I don't think the deal on the libre or used 2017 turbines are going away for awhile) $300 to try a door board with straps is definitely do-able. and a big kite for $600-900 is close enough for me to justify. I can imagine snowkiting in nothing even on my snowboard with that thing!
- I'd love to try out a surfboard style thing at some point, just for the nostalgia of surfing back out in California! Hopefully I could borrow one of these boards at some point and give it a try
- Foiling is probably the end goal and I think it'd also be a blast to bring out on the boat and tow people along really slow as something sort of new.

Thanks again for all the advice, I'll keep everyone posted on the progress and what I decide to plunk down some money into!

BOEMIX
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: chrono v2 15m, Hyperlink 9m, Catalyst 7m, enduro 10m, edge 13m, access 6m
Flysurfer Soul 15m.
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Shinn Ronson 138x42, King Gee 150x50, Ketos Foil freeride2 and Transformer TT

Postby BOEMIX » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:48 pm

The Naish Bullet could be a good alternative to foil.

It's a very fun lightwind freerace/surfboard crossover, and "thanks" to Naish not producing it anymore, you could find them on sale

RagingGrandpa
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Michigan
Style: TT, HF, SB, snow, ice
Gear: nothing special

Postby RagingGrandpa » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:49 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:57 pm

:bye: I'm guy #2, and have no regrets.
I knew I wanted to foil from day 1. Quick transition to foil after progressing thru [TT, door, surfboard (nostrap), raceboard] across 50 days (1 calendar year) kiting in the water, also with the advantage of kite control experience from another 40 days snowkiting mixed in. 3rd day in the water with the foil, I felt comfy. Great Lakes US; easy conditions are rare.

But, point taken- I've never met guy #1 above.

It is an interesting question ('how quickly might a totally new kiter become competent foiling'). Getting there in less than ~50 sessions sounds impressive. Of course, at a world-class kitespot and no life distractions those sessions could happen in only 2-3 months...

Michaelr123
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 18
Local Beach: Mendota / Monona
Gear: Liquid Force NV V8 12m
mission control bar v2 20+3+4m lines
2019 Liquid Force edge 143cm
Been thanked: 0

Postby Michaelr123 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:19 pm

I decided to pull the trigger on the 160cm libre with pads for $300. - I figured out that was on a really good sale for the 4th and probably wouldn't stick around. I'll probably get to try it out next week when I'm back from the 4th! I'm guessing the winds won't be a whole lot better when I get back! lol

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Tawas, MI; SPI; La Ventana
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Slingshot Turbine 9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m
Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 80/91/105cm masts 590/683s/633 wings, Tim's 36" "woody", Slingshot Micro 3'6", MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot SST 5m 2018 $500, Slingshot SST 6m 2018 $600, Slingshot SST 10m 2017 $500, Core XR4 10m $840, Core XR4 13.5m $970, Core XR4 17m $1060, Slingshot Turbine 5m 2017 like new $450, Slingshot Turbine 15m 2018 like new $1100, BROkite carbon board 140x44 like new complete $650, Slingshot Rally 6m 2017 like new $530, Slingshot Guardian 20" brand new $290

Postby grigorib » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:39 pm

Michaelr123 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:19 pm
I decided to pull the trigger on the 160cm libre with pads for $300. - I figured out that was on a really good sale for the 4th and probably wouldn't stick around. I'll probably get to try it out next week when I'm back from the 4th! I'm guessing the winds won't be a whole lot better when I get back! lol
Awesome!

Get one more lines extension set so they result in 30-35 meters. If you have a chance to practice on long lines you’ll feel how much time to start and how much power do you suddenly get on the initial dive. It’ll feel awesome.

When you need a tip on 15-16m LW kite - just let me know and I’ll be able to point you to a new one or to lightly used one.
Last edited by grigorib on Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”