Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Surviving a death loop

Postby sergei Scotland » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:55 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:00 pm
mede wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:58 am
Are you ever unhooking?
If not, get a hookless setup (eg slider rope with stainless steel ring).
Like this, you avoid the issue with tangling lines on hook systemically.
^ This.
Was looking to get one for a Dakine shorts harness but not sure what I can get for that? Anyone can recommend what works well with them?

Exal
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:40 am

I don't know about the slider thing sergei. People use it for wave riding and foiling might be annoying for learning and jumping. What anton shows in the video is what I have in mind. On land there should be no deathloops unless you don't check your gear properly, connect lines wrong or have a bad kite launcher. But you should always steer the kite up with one hand and have the other one on the quick release or near it. In your case all I would've thought is protect your head at all costs if you can't stop the loop and then what has been said already ... Stay safe out there.

Herman
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:24 am

Sliders are fine for learning and jumping. I would recommend them for beginners as it makes walking back upwind easier. Get one with a fixed option if you are unsure. Expect to take a session to get used to it.

Here is where I am going to sound like a herotic. I do not like the concept of the bottom hand on the QR at launch. If the kite flys up faster than expected you will probably take your bottom hand off the QR to pull on the bar in an attempt to control the kite.
IMHO a better philosophy is to have both hands available for control of the bar and as soon you identify a problem that is not controlable go for the QR with both hands. This ensures that you gain all the advantages of releasing the bar and it helps to practice having this mind set.
It may well be a case of what works for you so think it through and make your choice.
These users thanked the author Herman for the post (total 2):
iriejohn (Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:42 am) • sergei Scotland (Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:47 pm)
Rating: 20%

mede
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Villa-Arcadia.com
Sri Lanka West Coast (Kandathoduwa)
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast (Kandathoduwa), the endless and windy beach in front of villa-arcadia.com
Style: Strapless surfing, Big Air
Gear: Tomo Vader 5.1 HE, Tomo Vanguard 5.2 (firewire kitesurf edition), Liquid Force Legacy, Blade Trigger 8m & 10m, Storm Voyager V13
Brand Affiliation: villa-arcadia.com

Postby mede » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:31 am

sergei Scotland wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:55 pm
iriejohn wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:00 pm
mede wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:58 am
Are you ever unhooking?
If not, get a hookless setup (eg slider rope with stainless steel ring).
Like this, you avoid the issue with tangling lines on hook systemically.
^ This.
Was looking to get one for a Dakine shorts harness but not sure what I can get for that? Anyone can recommend what works well with them?
The easiest way here is to flex off the hook of your existing spreader. Use some sanding paper to remove any sharp edge afterwards.
Once done, attach a dyneema line (4mm or 5mm) in a double loop at both sides of the spreader (where it also connects to the harness, after having inserted the stainless steel ring.)
Make sure to leave enough slack in the dyneema loop so that, when you pull the ring outwards, it forms roughly a 30 degree angle with the spreader.
Don't forget to wax the dyneema thouroughly before using it, this will reduce wear (wax it with a candle, not surf wax, as that stuff is too sticky and will grab sand etc).

Et voila - your dyi sliding spreader bar is complete.

By the way, the DaKine Short harness is great for this setup :-) I used them myself for a couple of years with a slider rope until they wore out.
These users thanked the author mede for the post:
sergei Scotland (Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:46 pm)
Rating: 10%

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: ¤°

Postby POACHER » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:47 pm

Yeah the "foul hook" thing has happened to me a couple times. Thankfully I was able to uncluster the F'ck I got myself into without bodily, bystander or equipment harm.

I did really consider getting the Mystic Stealth surf bar with the slider AND fixed loop to skip having a hook altogether. Someone starting out should option for this bar. Skip the hook thing completely and learn their chicken loop deploy/reset.
mystic2019_stealthbar-3.jpg
I don't foil or surf so just went with the standard hook. (I fear change....lol)
Apparently I can add the slider later if I get more into surf/foil/skim.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix rpm ozone

Postby edt » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:03 pm

Herman wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:24 am
I do not like the concept of the bottom hand on the QR at launch. If the kite flys up faster than expected you will probably take your bottom hand off the QR to pull on the bar in an attempt to control the kite.
Agree. If you want to get better at using the QR just practice doing it. I know it seems dumb, why practice something so simple but that's how muscle memory works.

sergei Scotland
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Gear: Cabrinha 2014 9m
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:15 pm

POACHER wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:47 pm
Yeah the "foul hook" thing has happened to me a couple times. Thankfully I was able to uncluster the F'ck I got myself into without bodily, bystander or equipment harm.

I did really consider getting the Mystic Stealth surf bar with the slider AND fixed loop to skip having a hook altogether. Someone starting out should option for this bar. Skip the hook thing completely and learn their chicken loop deploy/reset.

I don't foil or surf so just went with the standard hook. (I fear change....lol)
Thanks, this looks like the best and simple combination.
Anyone knows if this will work with Dakine shorts sit harness? The shorts do have 2 tensioners on both sides, but the slots are slightly angled in relation to each other (as opposed to 2 vertical slots as per picture)?

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:52 pm

sergei Scotland wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:15 pm
POACHER wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:47 pm

Thanks, this looks like the best and simple combination.
Anyone knows if this will work with Dakine shorts sit harness? The shorts do have 2 tensioners on both sides, but the slots are slightly angled in relation to each other (as opposed to 2 vertical slots as per picture)?
Looks like the slots are a bit angled. Order online then if not right you can return for a full refund under remote selling laws.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Has thanked: 0

Postby cwood » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:35 am

Check out NP Halo bars....no hook, solid metal loop.

dragnfly
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Blackpool/ St Annes. New Brighton (UK)
Favorite Beaches: Rhosneigr. New Brighton (UK), Blackrock Sands.
Style: Freestyle/ Wakestyle noob
Gear: Cab FX 12,9 & SB 7m
Cabrinha Ace 137
Has thanked: 0

Postby dragnfly » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:48 am

There's also this (below) - I'm surprised they never caught on more:
viewtopic.php?t=2379959

Return to “Kitesurfing”