Forum for kitesurfers
SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Riding without a (proper) Quick Release

Postby SalmonSlayer » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:17 am

downunder wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:04 am
+1 is Americanism, like it or not. Im positive that everyone using a +1 is using Imperial units as well. Because its not in my Euro "culture", I never use it, even tho living in AU. Just like in Japan they would use a "V" with two fingers all the time:) a cultural thing...
+1

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:44 am

SalmonSlayer wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:17 am
downunder wrote:
+1 is Americanism, like it or not. Im positive that everyone using a +1 is using Imperial units as well. Because its not in my Euro "culture", I never use it, even tho living in AU. Just like in Japan they would use a "V" with two fingers all the time:) a cultural thing...
+1
Nope. We’re using a binary +1
We also distinguish ++1 from 1++
These users thanked the author grigorib for the post:
RagingGrandpa (Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:10 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SalmonSlayer » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:46 am

grigorib wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:44 am
SalmonSlayer wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:17 am
downunder wrote:
+1
Nope. We’re using a binary +1
We also distinguish +1 from 1+
v

SWO_kite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Belle River, Ontario, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Yes
Style: Foil/Freeride/Big air
Gear: 11m Reedin SM V2, 8m & 6m SS Raptor
128 Shinn Sunburner + 75 AL-mast + K wing
140 Best Spark, 133 Cabrinha Caliber

Postby SWO_kite » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:53 pm

LOL - got my lawn chair, beer and popcorn

Carry on boys...

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:41 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:47 pm
downunder wrote:

What Im trying to say is that its ok to use whatever only when respecting the choices of others.
Discussion is one thing and imposing views on other is another.
Calling a stupid idea stupid isn't imposing anything on anyone, nor is it really disrespectful, it's just a factual way to evaluate a set of choices.

Riding a motorbike without a helmet is stupid, period. For almost no additional investment you can reduce the risk of fatal injury during an accident by a wide margin, whether it's culturally fashionable or not.

Failing to take an available precaution that has the ability to save your life is literally the definition of being stupid:

stupid adjective
stu·​pid | \ ˈstü-pəd , ˈstyü-\
Definition of stupid (Entry 1 of 2)
1a : slow of mind : OBTUSE
b : given to unintelligent decisions or acts : acting in an unintelligent or careless manner
c : lacking intelligence or reason : BRUTISH
2 : dulled in feeling or sensation : TORPID
still stupid from the sedative
3 : marked by or resulting from unreasoned thinking or acting : SENSELESS
a stupid decision

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stupid

Yep, about 260 000 000 are indeed stupid. Add Malaysia which is about 30-40mil and Philippines of 100mil.

And than add India in the safety and cultural discussion. Or China.

There are 500 000 000 bicycles in China at least. If u never visited the country, open a random pic on the Net and find a helmet. Now, the same statement is valid for Indo and the motor bikes.

The ignorance of everything outside the US by Americans always amassed me.

Not all countries are the same, thank God. Something obviously hard to accept, so its easier to call them stupid. Amazing. Everything foreign is discarded so easily.

Hence, the same for kiting safety. Foreign to some, perfectly acceptable to others.

Btw I know a guy who rides with a leather belt fixed to a carabiner. Biggest grin of all.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:35 pm

downunder wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:41 pm
Mossy 757 wrote:
downunder wrote:

What Im trying to say is that its ok to use whatever only when respecting the choices of others.
Calling a stupid idea stupid isn't imposing anything on anyone, nor is it really disrespectful, it's just a factual way to evaluate a set of choices.

Riding a motorbike without a helmet is stupid, period. For almost no additional investment you can reduce the risk of fatal injury during an accident by a wide margin, whether it's culturally fashionable or not.

Failing to take an available precaution that has the ability to save your life is literally the definition of being stupid:

stupid adjective
b : given to unintelligent decisions or acts : acting in an unintelligent or careless manner
a stupid decision

Yep, about 260 000 000 are indeed stupid. Add Malaysia which is about 30-40mil and Philippines of 100mil.

There are 500 000 000 bicycles in China at least. If u never visited the country, open a random pic on the Net and find a helmet. Now, the same statement is valid for Indo and the motor bikes.

Not all countries are the same, thank God. Something obviously hard to accept, so its easier to call them stupid. Amazing. Everything foreign is discarded so easily.

Hence, the same for kiting safety. Foreign to some, perfectly acceptable to others.

Btw I know a guy who rides with a leather belt fixed to a carabiner. Biggest grin of all.
You're starting to come off as pretty stupid as well. You're trying to justify not using proper safety equipment during inherently dangerous activities, and citing perceived cultural differences and nationalities as your justification. There's nothing "foreign" about failing to use safety equipment...call it ignorance, apathy, fatalism, whatever. It's stupid.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:51 pm

Well,

This is perfect example why no one wants to discuss, in a fear of being proclaimed stupid ;)

If u lived in some of this countries, or born in one, God forbid, your views would be different.

Travel more. And relax. Kiting will continue no matter of which safety...

As said over and over, you just don't call Toby a stupid if using only and nothing else but 18m kite.

Now, for me, that's extremely stupid. ;) but hey, who am I to judge?

Remember, I can't compete with a native English speakers, have no that privilege of words glossary, so of course you guys will always win in any discussion! And thats another perfect example why no non-english speaker will not join here. Cultural differences man, take it or leave it...

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:00 pm

downunder wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:41 pm
Mossy 757 wrote:
downunder wrote:

stupid adjective
a stupid decision

Leather belt with a carabiner? That’s not a grin. That’s a grimace.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:14 pm

downunder wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:51 pm
If u lived in some of this countries, or born in one, God forbid, your views would be different.
What part of living in SE Asia would convince me that the human skull is invulnerable to pavement when falling from a motorbike? Can you explain to me how the hardness and flexibility of human bone is different based on the latitude and longitude of your birthplace?

I'm always amazed when I encounter people who wish to believe it's impossible to be wrong; it's very much possible if you have bad information, no information, or are too apathetic to seek out even readily available information. Anyone who owns kitesurfing equipment has either read and heeded or ignored the manufacturers warnings printed ALL OVER EVERYTHING about using a safety leash, the inherent danger of the sport, etc. Doing so isn't a cultural sensibility, it's reckless disregard for evidence-based advice.

Toby isn't being stupid for taking a large size kite, he's aware of the risks and rewards in such a choice and has the experience and expertise to make that judgment call. There's a lot of subjective assessments there.

There's nothing subjective about the true statement that if you release a kite without a leash, you are increasing the odds (however small) that someone can be struck or entangled in the kite. On top of that, you're creating a hazard to navigation for other craft on the water, especially with a foil kite that could sink below the surface and be unnoticeable until you drive or sail over it and get tangled. In some parts of the world, that's a civil violation for creating a hazard to navigation; in other parts of the world it's a crime. There's no grey area there, it's super black-and-white unlike the personal choice of which size kite to take for the given conditions.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:16 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:35 pm
You're starting to come off as pretty stupid as well. You're trying to justify not using proper safety equipment during inherently dangerous activities, and citing perceived cultural differences and nationalities as your justification. There's nothing "foreign" about failing to use safety equipment...call it ignorance, apathy, fatalism, whatever. It's stupid.
Well, downsy is right to a certain degree. But so is Mossy

downsy,

What you are referring to as culture is not what you think it is. Is is more directly related to 1st world vs 3rd world. And it is has only been about 50-100 years in which the 1st world has taken safety seriously. The third world has not caught on. Thus it is not necessarily culture of "not giving a s--t", but rather a slower societal development of conscientiousness. And this development seems to be directly linked to prosperity as a reward for being conscientious.

Mossy,

Calling the third world stupid is "like spitting on a fish". It does no good, it makes you look stupid, and does not work to fix things in the future. On top of that, despite decades of trying, the 1st world has been unsuccessful in exporting these western values to foreign peoples. downsy gets that more than most. Given the number one western value of 'freedom of choice', the choice of 3rd world peoples to NOT embrace western values makes those very values self defeating in countries where the majority of people choose to reject them.

And proof of this is evident with current events where people eagerly entering western society are actually rejecting those values which created what they perceived as a comparative utopia. Thus the ideals of western society that make its implementation in 3rd world societies impossible, can also lead to the downfall of those ideals in the 1st world.

Return to “Kitesurfing”