Fuel 2015 13m
Rally 2019 12m
RPM 2016 9m
Sentiel Bar 2019 20/20
Asylum 2018 138
Brand Affiliation: None

Kiteloop beginner

Postby finisher » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:22 am

I have just started to loop in 20+ knots on RPM 9m. Most of the time I was crashing but a few times I landed successful being caught by kite. What is weird is that I was caught when the wind was weaker, so I probably did the loop in a different way.
Can you please explain how to increase probability to be caught by kite? Should I start the loop at the apex or much faster to be caught? I guess the loop should be tight but not sure about timing and power in the bar.
Last edited by finisher on Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leon van Bergen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee
Style: Freeride
Gear: Duotone Rebels 6M, 8m & 11m, 17m Roca, on my Lieuwe Shotgun

Re: Kiteloop beginner

Postby Leon van Bergen » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:05 pm

finisher wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:22 am
I have just started to loop in 20+ knots on RPM 9m. Most of they time I was crashing but a few times I landed successful being caught by kite. What is weird is that I was caught when the wind was weaker, so I probably did the loop in a different way.
Can you please explain how to increase probability to be caught by kite? Should I start the loop at the apex or much faster to be caught? I guess the loop should be tight but not sure about timing and power in the bar.
These users thanked the author Leon van Bergen for the post:
markymarc (Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:51 pm)
Rating: 10%

finisher
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Style: All
Gear: RPM 2019 14m
Fuel 2015 13m
Rally 2019 12m
RPM 2016 9m
Sentiel Bar 2019 20/20
Asylum 2018 138

Postby finisher » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:43 pm

I did the homework and practiced everything from the video many times before I started to loop at 5+ meters. And that is the result of the practice. Maybe my loop was not tight enough or I forgot to let the bar go after the loop. It happens too fast. I guess all I can do is to continue practice and take the impact until I find the correct timing.

Exal
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:18 pm

When it comes to megaloops you have to hear it from the goat himself:

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Pansh Aurora II, Axis Ltd, RRD Poison, SS Ankle Biter, SS Hoverglide

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:34 pm

Finisher, when are you pulling your loop? It sounds like you've progressed beyond basics, but just in case......

Your first aerial loops should be on the way down from the apex of your jump (called a "heli-loop" in the video). These are easy loops that will make your landings feel like butter.

Next, loop at the apex of your jump. You should be able to loop at the apex of your jump with your RPM and it will easily "catch" you. You'll land with more speed, but your kite won't drop you.

Finally, you can progress to "mega-loops" which occur on the way up in your jump. Commit and be aggressive with these loops so that the kite will return overhead to "catch" you. You may find that a second heli-loop just before you land will make these loops easier and re-position the kite for a smooth landing.

An RPM is a great kite for loops, as you know, so you're working with the right equipment. Have fun. :thumb:
These users thanked the author FLandOBX for the post:
finisher (Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:59 pm)

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:56 am

One small change to the above. From my experience you never want to pull the loop right at the apex. No line tension, no kite movement. Either right before or right after but not at the apex.
These users thanked the author knotwindy for the post (total 3):
Kitemenn (Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:55 am) • Faxie (Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:21 am) • finisher (Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:59 pm)
Rating: 30%

Kitemenn
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:54 am

Exal wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:18 pm
When it comes to megaloops you have to hear it from the goat himself:
Why do I have a hard time believing he will even leave the water surface...what a bullocks!

finisher
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Style: All
Gear: RPM 2019 14m
Fuel 2015 13m
Rally 2019 12m
RPM 2016 9m
Sentiel Bar 2019 20/20
Asylum 2018 138

Postby finisher » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:38 pm

Thanks guys for detailed replies.

I did hundreds of 10m+ jumps (if we can believe in woo but I am sure it adds some extra height so more ppl buy it;), but nvm) and I land most of them successfully using either kiteloop or downloop aka heliloops. Now I feel ready for a step forward. My first powered loops were just after the apex, so in the moment when I start to go down. And this kind of loop always catch me. Now I do the loop before the apex and the power of the loop is pretty strong so I feel the horizontal pull. After the loop I fall like a stone with huge horizontal speed and only 2/10 attempts were successful so I was caught by the kite and was able to land it with heliloop. Now I think that my mistake was that after the successful landings I started to feel more confident and the next loops failed because I made them a bit wider and/or I forgot to release the bar.

Anyway I am so excited and cant wait for the next big air loop session <3

Kitemenn
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:50 am

finisher wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:38 pm
Thanks guys for detailed replies.

I did hundreds of 10m+ jumps (if we can believe in woo but I am sure it adds some extra height so more ppl buy it;), but nvm) and I land most of them successfully using either kiteloop or downloop aka heliloops. Now I feel ready for a step forward. My first powered loops were just after the apex, so in the moment when I start to go down. And this kind of loop always catch me. Now I do the loop before the apex and the power of the loop is pretty strong so I feel the horizontal pull. After the loop I fall like a stone with huge horizontal speed and only 2/10 attempts were successful so I was caught by the kite and was able to land it with heliloop. Now I think that my mistake was that after the successful landings I started to feel more confident and the next loops failed because I made them a bit wider and/or I forgot to release the bar.

Anyway I am so excited and cant wait for the next big air loop session <3
I think we are at the same phase in trying kiteloops. However think you might be jumping higher. Nevertheless I think wat you need to do is pull before apex and really make it loop as fast as possible, i.e. stear the bar as vertical as possible. Once the kite is has completed the loop push the bar away and when the kite is at 12 again you can do a heliloop to finish it off.

My problem now is when its blowing really hard I don't dare to commit to a real kiteloop and when the wind is less challenging I am not jumping high enough to have the height to let the kite catch me again...it's all about the right conditions and timings
These users thanked the author Kitemenn for the post (total 2):
finisher (Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:52 pm) • SENDIT! (Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:34 pm)
Rating: 20%

dragnfly
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Blackpool/ St Annes. New Brighton (UK)
Favorite Beaches: Rhosneigr. New Brighton (UK), Blackrock Sands.
Style: Freestyle/ Wakestyle noob
Gear: Cab FX 12,9 & SB 7m
Cabrinha Ace 137
Has thanked: 0

Postby dragnfly » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:25 am

I found this helped me a lot: (please don't flame me, I admit I am still a loop noob, this is just what I found helped me)

Keep steering the kite in a fluid motion all the time - by this i mean, dont stop it turning, or slow down the turning. I previously spent a lot of time boosting, then stopping the kite at 12 (or even redirecting it back a bit), and then near the apex, steering it again to do the loop. However, it never felt good and often had really heavy landings. It was only when I started ensuring that the kite always continued moving in the direction of the loop, that it started to feel 'right'. It was the 'continuous movement in the direction of the loop ' that was key for me.

So, I send the kite up really quite slowly, and tend to leave the water well before it reaches 12, and then just as it goes past 12, start to tighten up the turn more. Give it a try sending your boost really really slow, leave the water earlier than you'd think, and keep the kite going round (because it's slow, you have plenty of time to watch it in the air), and then when it feels 'right', start to crank the bar in harder.

These users thanked the author dragnfly for the post:
finisher (Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:53 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”