Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Light wind board / kite suggestions?

Forum for kitesurfers
thesleeve
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Alameda Beach, San Francisco Bay, California USA
Favorite Beaches: Kaneohe Bay, Oahu. Kite Beach, Maui. Los Barilles, Mexico.
Style: Freeride
Gear: 2017 Naish Pivot 14m
2018 Cabrinha Switchblade 10m, 7m
2018 Nobile T5 Twin-Tip 137cm
2018 Ride Engine Hex Core Harness
2018 Cabrinha Trimlite 52cm Control Bar
Brand Affiliation: None

Light wind board / kite suggestions?

Postby thesleeve » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:40 am

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice on expanding my gear collection to be able to take advantage of my local spot even on the least windy days.

I've had about 20 days of kiting since starting, so I'm still not super experienced. Have kited in Maui, Oahu, Mexico, and northern California (SF Bay). My local beach is Alameda, CA, which typically ranges 10-20 kts but often drops down below 10 kts.

I weigh 75 kg (165 lbs) and my current quiver is as follows:
Naish Pivot 14m: min ~9 kts, ideal 12 kts, max 18 kts
Cabrinha Switchblade 10m: min 11 kts, ideal 16 kts, max 28 kts
Cabrinha Switchblade 7m: min 16 kts, ideal 25 kts, max 40 kts

I have only one board, a Nobile T5 Twin Tip, 137 cm.

I have found that my quiver covers the full wind range quite well, but often we'll have days here at my local beach that drop down into the single digits, and even though I'm able to keep my 14m in the air and flying, it's difficult to get up and ride without sinking. If I can get up and ride in those conditions, I often have trouble staying upwind.

My initial thought was to go for a 17m Cabrinha Contra to really push the bottom end of the wind range with it, but I realized that maybe my problem isn't kite size so much as board size. Like I said, it rarely gets to the point where I can't keep the 14m in the air - it's mostly a problem of not sinking into the water.

That said, I'm considering getting a used Liquid Force Libre. They come in two sizes, 150cm and 160cm. Their website recommends the 150cm for people >60kg and the 160cm for people >65kg. That seems like a typo to me... but in any case, at 75kg, the 160cm seems like it might be the best solution to the problem.

The board is cheap and might get me into the low end of the wind range with less investment than buying a 17m kite. But... am I missing something? Thoughts?

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Re: Light wind board / kite suggestions?

Postby PullStrings » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:25 am

Get the 160 x 50 cm
Keep your 14 sqm for now
Board that wide will make quite a difference plus it will have a longer rail to edge and a flatter rocker to get on a plane quickly
Your 137 is 42 cm wide which is for medium winds...getting a 17 to go with that board is not a good balance in my opinion
Width is the key here if you are looking for better low end efficiency with lulls to 10 knots plus you will get greater upwind ability
These users thanked the author PullStrings for the post:
thesleeve (Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:13 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:14 am

17 m and small board are great for consistent winds. 14 M and big board is a better option for inland turbulent winds. But you are eventually going to have both anyway, so big board first is a good way to go.

Strekke
Frequent Poster
Gear: 2021 Cabrinha Drifters - Naish Pivot - Flysurfer Peak4 - Core Choice - Firewire Vader 5'2 - F-One Phantom

Postby Strekke » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:25 am

Save your money and just buy a hydrofoil. Nothing compares, nothing else even comes close in terms of efficiency in lightwind. I bought biggger twintips, surfboard, north nugget, and a 17m. Now my biggest kite is a 9m onestrut and I ride a big wing surffoil in sub10 knots. If the windrange around 10 knots or less is what you are after, foiling is the way to go.
These users thanked the author Strekke for the post (total 2):
Peter_Frank (Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:52 am) • Ulrik (Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:57 am)
Rating: 6.06%

wiktorek
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby wiktorek » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:56 am

Check boards of size around 135x47 cm (click), nice light wind performance and fun in a little bit more demanding conditions.

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:04 am

I knew someone would say "get a hydrofoil". Remember, nobody cares that you foil.
These users thanked the author alford for the post (total 2):
apollo4000 (Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:37 am) • badgb21 (Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:16 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped

Postby RalfsB » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:23 am

There are several things that increase light wind capability: bigger and lighter kite (fast-turning kite is a bonus), longer kite lines, bigger and flatter board (or switching to a foil board, if you want to). If you want an inflatable kite, one strut kites in large sizes (16+) are a good option; foil kites are even better but I suggest avoiding those high aspect race kites, look for something lower aspect and faster turning. Longer lines help start going in light winds, something like 30-35m works great. Regarding boards, there are some nice wide twintips (like 48-50cm wide), they are still fun; the "door" type boards are flatter and go earlier but are less fun. A wide surfboard is a good choice too.
These users thanked the author RalfsB for the post:
thesleeve (Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:13 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Strekke
Frequent Poster
Gear: 2021 Cabrinha Drifters - Naish Pivot - Flysurfer Peak4 - Core Choice - Firewire Vader 5'2 - F-One Phantom

Postby Strekke » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:22 am

alford wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:04 am
I knew someone would say "get a hydrofoil". Remember, nobody cares that you foil.
Haha yes 2 years ago I used to be just like you, annoyed by the "just foil" comments. I am only doing the same thing now because it's just true!

Like I said, I went through all the super-expensive low wind equipment (17m Fat Lady, big TT, North Nugget), so been there, done that. All to do what? At best mow the lawn a bit at 10-11 knots. Everything below that is just a struggle to hold your line and get back upwind.

If you want to have fun at 10 knots or less without worrying about holding your line, foiling is your best (if not only) option.

ScoopZ
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Scotland.
Style: Catching bumps/carving.
Gear: Ozone 2014 Cats - 10/12.
Airush 5'6" Cypher
Airush Sector 60.

Postby ScoopZ » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:41 am

If your 14m hangs and is stable, an airush sector 60 will give you more water time without the depth requirements of a hydrofoil and it points upwind just as much as a foil.
A cheap S/H v2 or v3 would make a nice buy.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:09 pm

Strekke wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:22 am

Like I said, I went through all the super-expensive low wind equipment (17m Fat Lady, big TT, North Nugget), so been there, done that. All to do what? At best mow the lawn a bit at 10-11 knots. Everything below that is just a struggle to hold your line and get back upwind.

If you want to have fun at 10 knots or less without worrying about holding your line, foiling is your best (if not only) option.
Sorry to say but you bought all wrong back then. I can do a lot more with 15m foil kite + flydoor and in lower winds and I weight 35kg more than OP. Single digit ULW is a nice change and a good challenge for your skill. So 10-11 kn is a storm here. Sub 10 is not a struggle to hold line with correct type of equipment.

You'll get bored of hf-ploughing with 3000e hf rig (multiple front wings) but it is your choise.

Return to “Kitesurfing”