Forum for kitesurfers
MaximumAC
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay, Assateague MD
Style: Foil; Freestyle
Gear: Flysurfer Soul and Sonics; SAB 679/800 and Mikes Lab Bullet 5
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Light wind board / kite suggestions?

Postby MaximumAC » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:22 pm

Ridiculous that so many people are quick to throw shade at others on this forum purely for suggestions. Get a hydrofoil, get a big ass TT and a 15m UWL. All fun elements and everyone's gonna find their niche. I think we're all just trying to maximize our time on the water and fun.

thesleeve
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Alameda Beach, San Francisco Bay, California USA
Favorite Beaches: Kaneohe Bay, Oahu. Kite Beach, Maui. Los Barilles, Mexico.
Style: Freeride
Gear: 2017 Naish Pivot 14m
2018 Cabrinha Switchblade 10m, 7m
2018 Nobile T5 Twin-Tip 137cm
2018 Ride Engine Hex Core Harness
2018 Cabrinha Trimlite 52cm Control Bar

Postby thesleeve » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:02 pm

Thanks for the suggestions so far, everybody. Even though I went into a lot of detail about my setup, I totally forgot to tell you what my goal is.

Being a relatively new kiter, I'm still pretty early in my progression. I'm reliably keeping upwind, popping, doing small jumps, transition turns, and starting to ride toeside. I still have a long, long way to go. I feel that at this point in my growth, maximizing time on the water is the most important thing. In order to achieve that goal, I'm single-mindedly focused on getting to the beach as often as possible and being able to ride in the widest range of conditions as possible.

I understand that getting up and planing on a gigantic door board and huge kite might not be the most fun thing in the world for some people, but honestly I'm just trying to get out there as much as I can, so that I'm constantly building my skill set for when the wind really picks up and I can go out and have fun on my 7m.

Given the responses so far, I think I'm going to opt for the giant twin tip board for now (even though some people think that's the less fun option), mostly because I found one on sale for $300 and I think it's currently my cheapest option for increasing my time on the water.

I'm super interested in getting a surf board and/or foil setup in the future, but the cost of entry there is high. I think a big board is my cheapest way to get out on the water more often, for now. I'll definitely consider those other options once I'm more proficient on the twin tip, though.

That said, I'm still happy to hear any additional feedback, so keep it coming!
These users thanked the author thesleeve for the post:
apollo4000 (Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:42 am)
Rating: 3.03%

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Avro, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.

Postby dejavu » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:10 am

I learnt that a good selection of kite sizes matched with board sizes allows you to mix and match at the beach. I regularly take 2 boards to the beach so that when the wind drops or strengthens you have the options to just switch a board out rather than possibly inflate another kite. I personally think light wind kiting is great. It is good to get the strong wind/jump/surf/play days and then also some nice cruise days. Get yourself at least a 150. You won't regret it. You could also get a Flydoor 6 type flat 160 board also then you should be able to cruise around in lower wind speeds.
These users thanked the author dejavu for the post (total 3):
badgb21 (Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:19 pm) • andrzej351 (Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:25 am) • thesleeve (Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:12 am)
Rating: 9.09%

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:01 am

thesleeve wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:02 pm
Thanks for the suggestions so far, everybody. Even though I went into a lot of detail about my setup, I totally forgot to tell you what my goal is.

Being a relatively new kiter, I'm still pretty early in my progression. I'm reliably keeping upwind, popping, doing small jumps, transition turns, and starting to ride toeside. I still have a long, long way to go. I feel that at this point in my growth, maximizing time on the water is the most important thing. In order to achieve that goal, I'm single-mindedly focused on getting to the beach as often as possible and being able to ride in the widest range of conditions as possible.

I understand that getting up and planing on a gigantic door board and huge kite might not be the most fun thing in the world for some people, but honestly I'm just trying to get out there as much as I can, so that I'm constantly building my skill set for when the wind really picks up and I can go out and have fun on my 7m.

Given the responses so far, I think I'm going to opt for the giant twin tip board for now (even though some people think that's the less fun option), mostly because I found one on sale for $300 and I think it's currently my cheapest option for increasing my time on the water.

I'm super interested in getting a surf board and/or foil setup in the future, but the cost of entry there is high. I think a big board is my cheapest way to get out on the water more often, for now. I'll definitely consider those other options once I'm more proficient on the twin tip, though.

That said, I'm still happy to hear any additional feedback, so keep it coming!
Good for you. My journey was
1 - Fat Lady
2 - Crazyfly Cruiser Pro
3 - Shinn Jackson
4 - Soul
5 - Nomad LW

I love 1 and 2 and have had lots of LW sessions with 2 plus 14m. 3 is a longer term project as I don't get enough time. 4 is new and still figuring out. 5 is new and one session down I’m getting rid of 2 as the nomad is awesome. 3-5 are expensive but are high quality. I would go larger TT with 14m in the short to medium term and explore foiling as you develop as a kiter. It’s a bit of a humbling experience starting on a foil unless you can spend time on it.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:18 pm

+1 for get a hydrofoil. Use the same kites you have. Its simply better sub 15 knots.
These users thanked the author plummet for the post:
Peter_Frank (Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:41 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

thesleeve
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Alameda Beach, San Francisco Bay, California USA
Favorite Beaches: Kaneohe Bay, Oahu. Kite Beach, Maui. Los Barilles, Mexico.
Style: Freeride
Gear: 2017 Naish Pivot 14m
2018 Cabrinha Switchblade 10m, 7m
2018 Nobile T5 Twin-Tip 137cm
2018 Ride Engine Hex Core Harness
2018 Cabrinha Trimlite 52cm Control Bar

Postby thesleeve » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:18 am

Thanks everybody. Super useful information. Just curious about board sizing if I'm going for a huge lightwind machine. I bought a new Liquid Force Libre that was on sale due to the fact that it has minor cosmetic blemishes. They come in two sizes, both the same price ($299):
• 150 x 45
• 160 x 50

I'm 6'2" (188 cm) tall and 170 lbs (77 kg).

I ended up going for the 160 x 50, which is kind of huge. It has already shipped, and I'm starting to have second thoughts. I've seen people saying that the 160 is more appropriate for people 180 lbs (80 kg) and up, and I'm just below that. Thinking of going for the 150 instead and returning the 160. Thoughts?

My current board is a 137x42. Some quick math shows that...
• The 150x45 has 17% more surface area than my current board
• The 160x50 has 39% more surface area than my current board :o

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:06 am

You’ve got the right board. It will allow you to ride in extreme lightwind and you should be able to ride it hard.

My 170x50cm Flydoor5 XL delivers frontrolls, backrolls, jumps (as much as I can jump in light wind), whatever flying transitions, toeside so it’s not a hassle. I’ve had 137x42 for very long time as my regular board and when I got my first door 159x45 I knew I could do better lightwind with a bigger board so I got the XL later and been happy about the change
These users thanked the author grigorib for the post (total 2):
thesleeve (Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:12 am) • PullStrings (Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:57 am)
Rating: 6.06%

andywind
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach CA, Kailua Oahu
Favorite Beaches: Baja, CA coast, HI, Holbox
Style: free, small waves
Gear: converting to Clouds D_0 - E 10.4 / 8 6.2 4.8 3.7 ..
Like new 2018 - AE2 11m/ Takoon Wook 12m are for sale now !
Started on Naish Haze, Takoon Icon, now converting to Foiling : Shinn Jackson and El Stubbo + SS Alien Air 4'8" w Infinity hover glide Fsurf
Been thanked: 0

Postby andywind » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:32 am

I was always waiting for ~ 14 knts (with 10-12-13-m kite and TT or surfboard) Last yr I switched to BRM Clouds (eventually got full quiver and don't use other kites) and beginner foilboard (Shinn Jackson P) .
Now my favorite condition on 10.4m Cloud and foil is 8-10 Knts ! Really ;) Multiplied time on water many times over - not to mention much more fun (Clouds are super fast turning and also drift great - so - very good for TT and surfboards as well-just would need to add couple knts I guess).
Andre (~ 180 Lb)
Last edited by andywind on Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:56 am

thesleeve wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:18 am
Thinking of going for the 150 instead and returning the 160. Thoughts?
Don't return the 160 x 50....no need for buyer's remorse....forget what you read about riders weight recommendations
Use it with your 14 this year....you will have fun.....summer winds can be gutless....you need the width of that board
And next year find yourself a great deal on a slightly used 17 light wind kite

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:09 am

Keep the big one, there's no glory in riding a small door! You will be pleasantly surprised.

Return to “Kitesurfing”