HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Re: Safety issue of connecting kite leash to the back or side of Harness

Postby bragnouff » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:48 am

sarc wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:43 am
It's critical to have a short freeride leash when using the front connection to the harness. I had my long leash snag around the end of my kite bar, causing kiteloops. Now I exclusively use a short (30cm) freeride leash connected to my spreader bar and had zero problems. I can unhook too, just no handle passes or unhooked kiteloops with my arms stretched out.
Can you do a stretched out raley with a short leash? Or whack a top turn on a surfboard while unhooked with a stretched arm? Those, to me, are "feel good" parts of freeride kiting. Pretty simple things you'd do just because it's satisfying, not to show off in front of anyone. I'm getting old and battered, riding hooked in 99.9% of the time like most, but when the conditions do align, it's f*in awesome to have that option to unhook. If you're exclusively into foil racing, then I do understand it's a moot point.

Agree you don't want anything too long dangling in front of you. I have my leash attached on my right side, and going behind my back to take most of the slack. But fair enough, in some cases it might be harder to release that 2nd level safety than when it's attached to the front. In conjunction with a very dependable QR and flag out system, this is a minimal risk I can accept.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:05 am

30cm leash attached to side of spreader bar you cannot stretch your arms fully when unhooked; you would need something longer (maybe 50cm?)
To prevent longer leash snagging around chicken loop (means you cannot even release QR!) or snagging around your bar ends, make it very stiff by sleeving it thru a rigid tube (like insulation foam, etc. I use plastic tubes to sleeve my leash). Then it's OK. I can post a picture if needed . I had a few bad experiences doing fast waveriding turns and my longer leash flapping around until it caught on my bar end causing 1/2 a deathloop, I was always able to untangle it right away but no fun when you have a big wave right behind you. Now no problems with short leash+sleeving.
bragnouff wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:48 am
sarc wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:43 am
It's critical to have a short freeride leash when using the front connection to the harness. I had my long leash snag around the end of my kite bar, causing kiteloops. Now I exclusively use a short (30cm) freeride leash connected to my spreader bar and had zero problems. I can unhook too, just no handle passes or unhooked kiteloops with my arms stretched out.
Can you do a stretched out raley with a short leash? Or whack a top turn on a surfboard while unhooked with a stretched arm? Those, to me, are "feel good" parts of freeride kiting. Pretty simple things you'd do just because it's satisfying, not to show off in front of anyone. I'm getting old and battered, riding hooked in 99.9% of the time like most, but when the conditions do align, it's f*in awesome to have that option to unhook. If you're exclusively into foil racing, then I do understand it's a moot point.

Agree you don't want anything too long dangling in front of you. I have my leash attached on my right side, and going behind my back to take most of the slack. But fair enough, in some cases it might be harder to release that 2nd level safety than when it's attached to the front. In conjunction with a very dependable QR and flag out system, this is a minimal risk I can accept.

dice
Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Hadlow ID
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby dice » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:06 am

Toby wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:59 pm
dice wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:25 pm
What's wrong with the side? It's perfectly reachable for me and less clutter in front of me.
both hands?
Both hands? It's designed for one hand only.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:05 am

dice wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:06 am
Toby wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:59 pm
dice wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:25 pm
What's wrong with the side? It's perfectly reachable for me and less clutter in front of me.
both hands?
Both hands? It's designed for one hand only.
Sure, but when on side can it reached by left hand and right hand?
Imagine your break your hand/arm/shoulder etc that is the one on the side of the release.

Better to have in front, so EITHER left or right hand can reach it...
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
iriejohn (Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:09 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

dragnfly
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blackpool/ St Annes. New Brighton (UK)
Favorite Beaches: UK - Rhosneigr. New Brighton, Blackrock Sands.
Non UK - Dakhla.
Style: FS80% WS15% Strapless5%
Gear: Cabrinha FX 12,9 & SB 7m, Drifter 5m
Crazyfly Raptor ltd 136 2018 (best board ever!)
Slingshot Screamer

Postby dragnfly » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:44 am

Mines on the side. I don't like the way it dangles between my legs when its at the front. There's also no attachment point at the front on my RE harness. I'd never attach to the back, although I know plenty of people that do even though they never unhook - and I've warned them about it, but they still do.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:26 pm

dragnfly wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:44 am
Mines on the side. I don't like the way it dangles between my legs when its at the front. There's also no attachment point at the front on my RE harness. I'd never attach to the back, although I know plenty of people that do even though they never unhook - and I've warned them about it, but they still do.
If you have a short one like Core offers, it does not dangle.
A dangling leash that could catch your leg is dangerous...should be as short as possible...and even more so if you don’t handle pass.

Yes, I still see many people with leashes connected to the back...trying to inform them why they should change...

ScoopZ
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Scotland.
Style: Catching bumps/carving.
Gear: Ozone 2014 Cats - 10/12.
Airush 5'6" Cypher
Airush Sector 60.

Postby ScoopZ » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:14 pm

It should be addressed to the manufacturer's, the provision is often not included or you have to buy an extra eyelet like the new mystic stealth bars. Safety should come before profit.

I connect to the side (not through choice) on a mantra harness with a short ion leash, works out centimetre perfect.
These users thanked the author ScoopZ for the post:
Toby (Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:24 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:56 pm

ScoopZ wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:14 pm
It should be addressed to the manufacturer's, the provision is often not included or you have to buy an extra eyelet like the new mystic stealth bars. Safety should come before profit.
Where Mystic came up short for 2019 imo was the lack of a knife & holster supplied on their Stealth bar. Or if that could not be safely integrated, then not supplying their 2019 harnesses with their updated knife and making one have to buy it separately was definitely a "profits first, safety last" approach.
They could have also made the holster on the Battle Belt accommodate their older knife design so people could've had the option to reuse their older Mystic knives, but NO. :(

It would have been nice if Mystic sold their Stealth bar with the Leash Eye included to make sure that safety is paramount for those upgrading "lower tier" 2019 Mystic harnesses or older harnesses with the double 1" straps (2019 top tier harnesses include the Leash Eye).
They should also be informing those that are upgrading that they MAY need to buy a new knife & holster to mount on the adjustment straps (or somewhere else)... especially if their harness is not a 2019. Currently they do not inform this!

BernieTomic1
Frequent Poster
Gear: XR 5
Neo
Cabrinha Secret weapon
Cabrinha Spade
Epic Droid
F-ONE Trax HRD
Been thanked: 0

Postby BernieTomic1 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:12 pm

Thanks for the video Taabsr. It highlights a potential problem that I have been neglecting.

My setup is a Manera Exo harness with a Core short leash.
exo front.JPG
exo front.JPG (59.78 KiB) Viewed 957 times
Exo back.JPG
Exo back.JPG (77.02 KiB) Viewed 957 times
Core short.JPG
Core short.JPG (35.71 KiB) Viewed 957 times
As you can see from the images, there is no connection point in the front, and not really on the side either. There are rings placed laterally, but probably a little bit behind center.
The leash uses rope on one side, fixed by a metal pin.

Your suggestion would be to create a front connection point using rope and a metal ring as illustrated in your video?

Related to this question: a leash like this one is somewhat of a problem when you want to use it as a impromptu anchor. Which leashes can you recommend that have carabiners on both sides?

taabsr
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: North orbit

Postby taabsr » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:26 pm

BernieTomic1 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:12 pm
Thanks for the video Taabsr. It highlights a potential problem that I have been neglecting.

My setup is a Manera Exo harness with a Core short leash.

exo front.JPGExo back.JPGCore short.JPG

As you can see from the images, there is no connection point in the front, and not really on the side either. There are rings placed laterally, but probably a little bit behind center.
The leash uses rope on one side, fixed by a metal pin.

Your suggestion would be to create a front connection point using rope and a metal ring as illustrated in your video?

Related to this question: a leash like this one is somewhat of a problem when you want to use it as a impromptu anchor. Which leashes can you recommend that have carabiners on both sides?
On the right side of the image, you have the straps that connect to the spreader there is the black and metal-plastic piece that has one large strap up and a smaller one on the bottom. There you have a little hole. You can pass the line there. Even using the harness you have as it's a line harness should work.

I prefer the rope ones rather than the carabiner.

To use as an anchor to self-launch I think the carabiner in both ends is easier and you don't even need to use a leash just a line works fine. (i think that was your last question)

Return to “Kitesurfing”