Delta99
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Stockholm
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None

Neil Pryde CR-X opinions

Postby Delta99 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:35 pm

Any opinions about CR-X class and Neil Pryce kites?

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Re: Neil Pryde CR-X opinions

Postby Windigo1 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:28 pm

I don't have one of those but several people around here bought them last year in crazy like 75% off kind of deal. The foil works ok many are doing well on it but the board looks like it flexes a lot compared to a regular boards. The kites appear to be based on Cabrinha design. The CRX experiment is over and the factory is closed but if you get the equipment for pennies on the dollar then it's not bad to begin your foiling experience.
These users thanked the author Windigo1 for the post:
Delta99 (Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:59 am)
Rating: 3.03%

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Has thanked: 0

Postby shawn13 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:13 pm

Any updated reviews of the CRX kite package? I bought the kites/board on a blowout to have as a backup when my Cab kites wore out and its been sitting in plastic for a few years since. I may grab the new Cab stuff but would be a shame to sell the crx kites if they are decent, i just havent had a chance to try and dont want to open it for one ride....

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:47 pm

shawn13 wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:13 pm
Any updated reviews of the CRX kite package? I bought the kites/board on a blowout to have as a backup when my Cab kites wore out and its been sitting in plastic for a few years since. I may grab the new Cab stuff but would be a shame to sell the crx kites if they are decent, i just havent had a chance to try and dont want to open it for one ride....
Seems I got the same deal as you back in 2018. The best kites deal EVER!
I only bought the 3 kites with the bar, the board + foil I had already.
Like you I got the kites as a backup set, with the intention to leave them at our summer holidays house or for my wife when she finally learns kitesurfing (3 expensive courses later still hasn't :x).

The 7m I only used for snowkite in terrible gusty conditions, knowing well that if I end up releasing it I'll never see it again. Did a great job and I liked it a lot, but sold it to a friend on a tight budget since I had little use of this size and another 7 and 8m in my quiver.

The 13 and 10m I sill use regularly and they are absolutely great kites for mowing the lawn with a twintip, gusty conditions and muddy lake 'beaches'.
The 13 (a Cabrinha Contra 13 with a modified bridle) and a door TT is my lightwind set. With the 10 I have also foiled before I got an 8m one strut.

The bar is with a race trim and a very long trim line allowing me to have the end loop on my thumb for instant trim on demand without having to fully sheet out when a >50% gust hits.

What kites do you use currently and what's your style/level? Knowing that it's easier to answer if it's really worth putting the CRXs in use. In any case don't expect to get much for them, especially with the heavy clearance going on at the moment.
Feel free to PM me since not many people are interested in such discussion.

Board & foil - sold mine long ago, still regret selling the board. Was a very good lightwind TT (75kg) and could safely ride tandem with the kids on thanks to the full EVA deck. Ah, and also strap/padless is fun with this board!
I wouldn't recommend the foil for learning and for intermediate foilers there are plenty of better budget options nowadays.

P. S.
If some of you still reading has a CRX foil for sale, I recently saw a FB post from a guy in the UK who's looking to buy one. Give me a shout and I'll hook you up with him.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Has thanked: 0

Postby shawn13 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:41 pm

Excellent, this is exactly the feedback I was looking for! If the 13 is similar to a contra, then I think the answer is that I will add a 11 or 12 Switchblade or Nitro to round out the quiver.

I thought I recalled when I bought them someone has said they were similar to the old crossbows which were great kites but definitely rode much differently than the SBs i replaced them with...
These users thanked the author shawn13 for the post:
nixmatters (Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:22 am)
Rating: 3.03%

kiteman_hellyeah
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 180
Local Beach: Pere Marquette beach, City Beach Grand Haven
Favorite Beaches: Kite point OBX, Holland state park MI, PM Muskegon,
Style: all day IPA (lawnmower), freeride
Gear: CRX hydrofoil, Clearwater 1500/standard front wing, Airush switch 138cm, Neil pryde CRX 10m, gong SFS 17m, LF NV 13.5m, Pansh Genesis 8m 2021.

Postby kiteman_hellyeah » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:12 am

Picked up a CR-X 10m after an unfortunate newbie accident with my 10m Naish Ride, then found out about the board/foil. Found one for cheap and tried that for learning to foil. Had a blast taxi-ing and doing straight runs. I couldn't really nail transitions (bike style) until I accidentally left the foil on the beach, had to do the shop of shame and picked up a Cabrinha Hi rise varial. It happens to match the Cr-x bolts (threaded 140x90 holes) but has a slightly larger/ more stable front wing. Not sure if it was the foil change or just more time on the water, seemed like I was close on the original equipment. The board is pretty bomber for traveling and I love the 10m CR-X kite. It can get me out foiling around 9kn-18, and keep me in TT mode up to 30 (though sustained 27-30 I usually drop to 7m North mono). From what I've seen, 7-13m CR-x is just pre-branded small Contra's. I get the criticism of trying to do foil and twintip, and not really being great at either, but I couldn't beat the price, and I just mow lawns for fun so I can't really tell.

Return to “Kitesurfing”