Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why don't all kiters read Kiteforum?

Forum for kitesurfers
Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Why don't all kiters read Kiteforum?

Postby Hugh2 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:30 pm

I've been surprised recently to meet many kiters who have never checked into Kiteforum, let alone visit and read regularly. Granted there is a lot of stuff any particular rider would not find relevant, but for an avid kiteboarder there is almost always a thread or two of interest. This past South African winter in Cape Town I made four new kiteboarding friends, and although at least three of them are avid riders (you have to be to ride in Cape Town in the winter!), not one had ever been on Kiteforum. Even amoung my local avid group, just one, Grigorib, regularly shows up here. Maybe I just don't have enough of a life outside of kiting and sailing!

prop_joe
Frequent Poster
Gear: twin tips

Re: Why don't all kiters read Kiteforum?

Postby prop_joe » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:51 pm

short answer... it's boring! Unless your into hydrofoil or endlessly debating this years gear vs last years then there's not a lot here anymore. Long gone are the silly but entertaining 'footstraps are gay' type of threads, piss take is no longer allowed it seems thanks to the pc victim culture that's taken over the west. You know its bad when the top of the vids list is 'how to use your pump like a pro' lol.
These users thanked the author prop_joe for the post:
Eltreato (Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:48 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:39 pm

Many weird people on forums is what I've found. Many Facebook or other type communities that are more for everyones area geographically and make forums obsolete. I like this forum the best. The german one is filled with weirdos, the australian one is completely useless since everyone is trolling and the only ones beeing serious are the shops posting. Here we only have Matteo 🤣
These users thanked the author Exal for the post (total 2):
Kozzie (Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:05 am) • downunder (Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:20 am)
Rating: 6.06%

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:40 pm

I agree this forum is not as fun as it used to be. But I don't think that's why it's declining in popularity: I believe facebook groups has killed most online forums, as I've seen the same decline in others (surfing, fishing, etc). Easier to use, more interactive, more present / hard to ignore. Web forums were always a relatively small % of overall kiters, but now seem to be nearly obsolete. Mostly a bunch of "old folks" left. I doubt many young newbies spend much time here.

Personally I also find the forum is not as informative as it was, but that's more about my own learning progression: no longer a beginner keener, the honeymoon is over, fully into the "advanced intermediate" plateau ... so now I am clearly in the demographic of semi-grumpy middle agers. ;-) I am at the point of reading maybe 1 thread in 20. And I've cancelled my kite mag subscriptions, tired of the endlessly repeated advertorials and same old ads. And I have been doing more sup foiling and bought a wing ... uh oh. :bye:

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:21 pm

Maybe as the sport matures there is less need to troubleshoot or seek reviews? Locales will have enough riders to push each other and swap gears and make suggestions.
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post:
Fluke (Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:38 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:18 am

I’d guess lots of great riders and designers are affiliated with vendors and have NDAs to abide. You see dealers communicate here but this forum is not where dealers want people to be, just because of lots of very opinionated people are speaking up their minds here and it might be fair but not positive, or plain not aligned with “official” brand story

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:55 am

prop_joe wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:51 pm
short answer... it's boring! .... piss take is no longer allowed it seems thanks to the pc victim culture that's taken over the west. ...
I think the reverse is true. I look at forums for information about gear and techniques from real people. So many threads here are hijacked by moronic clowns who have nothing useful to add. Way too much "Look at me! I'm funny!"

One of the more useful forums I look at has a karma system on posts. If you get lots of negative votes then you can't post for a while. There are processes to stop people giving repeated negative votes."

You still get lots of humour and the occasional flaming war, but there's much less chance of threads being hijacked.

Kozzie
Medium Poster
Local Beach: brighton
Style: freestyle

Postby Kozzie » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:11 am

Exal wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:39 pm
Many weird people on forums is what I've found. the australian one is completely useless since everyone is trolling and the only ones beeing serious are the shops posting. 🤣

I was banned for "trolling" on seabreeze and i wasnt even trolling. Have not been theyre for years and you couldnt pay me to go back.

Kitescoop was good least everyone theyre could unhook

I only use forums to learn now cant be bothered trying to teach so just a greedy lurker who doesnt contribute. Its the only safe way.

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:22 am

Hugh2 wrote: I've been surprised recently to meet many kiters who have never checked into Kiteforum, let alone visit and read regularly. Granted there is a lot of stuff any particular rider would not find relevant, but for an avid kiteboarder there is almost always a thread or two of interest. This past South African winter in Cape Town I made four new kiteboarding friends, and although at least three of them are avid riders (you have to be to ride in Cape Town in the winter!), not one had ever been on Kiteforum. Even amoung my local avid group, just one, Grigorib, regularly shows up here. Maybe I just don't have enough of a life outside of kiting and sailing!
Maybe they're lying. On kiteforum, everyone gives advice about kiteloops and handlepasses. But if you meet them in person and it turns out they can barely get their fins out of the water for a jump, well that would be embarrassing...

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:52 am

OzBungy wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:55 am
One of the more useful forums I look at has a karma system on posts. If you get lots of negative votes then you can't post for a while. There are processes to stop people giving repeated negative votes."

You still get lots of humour and the occasional flaming war, but there's much less chance of threads being hijacked.
The ultimate pleasure would be to have a ""social credit"" system here where those who offend others with dissent or, God forbid - the truth, would be stripped of their kiting privelges anywhere on the planet. That would show those pesky people, with differing views or actual information about kiting, that freedom of thought is a virtue of the dying evil west.

Return to “Kitesurfing”