yzbob
Medium Poster
Gear: Mixed
Brand Affiliation: None

Kiting in Holland Michigan

Postby yzbob » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:01 am

Hi

I see there are a few locations on SPLOCS for Holland Michigan,

I was hoping a local might be able to advise on the rules/regulations in the area i circled. Im going to be there next week was hoping to get out on my foil a couple of times. We are staying closest to Holland state park so if kiting is allowed there that would b great. I know that beach must get busy but wondering if i can walk along to a quiet area to launch? Family holiday so i dont have much opportunity to mission far in the car as we are sharing vehicles.

Also my gf is wondering where its worth bringing her harness she is still learning and is able to get short runs on the board but can't stay upwind.

Thanks for any input

Bob
Attachments
IMG_20190717_013634.jpg

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Re: Kiting in Holland Michigan

Postby grigorib » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:28 pm

Both sides downwind of jettys are great and deliver least break action and smooth rollers. Upwind of jetty would be a washing machine with strong rip currents.
Be cautious about rip currents anyways. Stay further away from beachgoers and swimmers, Ride beyond buoys

Weekends are super busy with lots of anchored boats near jetty.

Next coupe of days should be pretty good! Have fun

P.S. there are plenty of sandbars to stand on to learn flying the kite and boardstarts, Try to not teach/learn near jettys, but rather further away.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:10 pm

Are you not from Michigan? Kiteboarding is nearly unregulated here. Just don't run over any swimmers and you'll be fine. Check out my map for more spots.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... 854935&z=7

Just looked at my map and the UP is entirely blank. Someday I'll kite in the UP, but it's so far away it's like on the moon, lol.

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:09 am

I have kited all around Michigan (went to undergrad there and in-law family reunions for years). There are basically no laws regulating kiting, just be considerate and reasonable and don't hurt anyone. Definitely bring your kite gear.

Waves actually get surprisingly fun and waist high when wind is >20knots, water is beautiful, and weather is very nice in the summer. It's also fun riding in fresh water for a change, enjoy!

I highly recommend a trip to northern Michigan for kiting in the summer if you can, that's the jewel of the midwest.

Return to “Kitesurfing”