Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Surfers Pt. Ventura
Favorite Beaches: Cabo de la Vela
Gear: Mostly gear for kiting, some times crocheting
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Mystic Majestic X harness sizing?!

Postby Idrinksaltwater » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:15 pm

Hello! After countless hours deciding between the ride engine carbon harness and the mystic x harness I have decided by a narrow margin to go with the mystic x harness. Now my problem lies in what size to go with. I am 5’11” 172lbs, wear a 32” waist in most things and wear either 3/2 wetsuit or just boardies and a rash gurad. I am right in between a small and medium. I am looking at getting the stealth surf bar to go with it as well. Anyone around this size go small harness and the 240cm (about 9.5”) or 280cm (about 11”) spreader bar? Or perhaps the medium with the 240cm spreader bar? I prefer a tighter fit but still want to be able to breathe. I have called a few shops and trying one on is the best most can come up with but not really an option for where I live in California so I decided to ask the masses. Any and all information is appreciated! Thanks!!!

Exal
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Re: Mystic Majestic X harness sizing?!

Postby Exal » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:03 am

I was between small and medium for the ride engine and medium was better for me. No way to tell what is the better fit for you.There must be a shop that can send you both sizes.

peppedurso
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Sicily / Cape Town
Style: Wave Riding
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters
Appletree Klokhuis & Appleflap noseless
Da Kine C-1
Brand Affiliation: Promoter
Has thanked: 0

Postby peppedurso » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:04 am

Mystic X fits quite big, a small mystic is slightly bigger than a small RE. I had doubt as well and I tried both. For my back shape RE is more comfortable although I like more the mystic one. Since it’s a hard shell you must try both. If I was in your shoes I would try small mystic and small and medium RE. In my opinion the good thing of a hard shell harness is that the stiffness allows you to use a smaller sized harness so you should go for the smaller that fits you.
Stealth bar is great and compatible with both harnesses. Take the large size, the others are really small.
I’m using an xs RE with a 12’’ carbon bar and the medium stealth felt too small for me.

Strekke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Gear: 2016 North Mono 12m, 2017 Naish Dash 10 & 8, 2018 Naish Slash 6 & 9, Firewire Vader, 5'2, 2017 F-One Acid, 2017 Sroka Freeride Foil

Postby Strekke » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:31 am

I would go for the smaller size as it eventually stretches
out a bit anyways. But best is still to try it on in all sizes!

Idrinksaltwater
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Surfers Pt. Ventura
Favorite Beaches: Cabo de la Vela
Gear: Mostly gear for kiting, some times crocheting

Postby Idrinksaltwater » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:53 pm

Thanks for the quick responses! I am going to try the mystic x small with a bigger spreader bar and if it doesn’t fit right swap it out for something else to avoid certainly having to pay return shipping. I will update this when I receive them with what ended up working best so maybe someone else will benefit. Warm winds all!!

Exal
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:10 pm

Idrinksaltwater wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:53 pm
Thanks for the quick responses! I am going to try the mystic x small with a bigger spreader bar and if it doesn’t fit right swap it out for something else to avoid certainly having to pay return shipping. I will update this when I receive them with what ended up working best so maybe someone else will benefit. Warm winds all!!
Good luck. If you pay via PayPal there is an option to get return shipping costs refunded.

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Epic/Crazyfly/Peter Lynn/Ozone/Airush/Blankforce/Shinn

Postby windsuks » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:02 pm

I'm 32" and had a medium size Majestic X but recently got a Small to replace it with. Size is snugg and less strap either side but once done up tight it fits so much better than the medium...for me at least.
These users thanked the author windsuks for the post:
Idrinksaltwater (Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:57 pm)
Rating: 10%

eloico
Medium Poster

Postby eloico » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:32 pm

@7:47

he is explaining that the strap length between harness and plate shall be not wider than a hand palm. 3 fingers is the optimum length.

he is also saying do not go too small... :!:

I think you are M but S could also work for you... tough!

Eloico

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Firewire/Tomo Surfboards
Loyd Surfboards
Brand Affiliation: iKitesurf

Postby Da Yoda » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:26 pm

Idrinksaltwater wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:15 pm
I am 5’11” 172lbs, wear a 32” waist in most things and wear either 3/2 wetsuit or just boardies and a rash gurad. I am right in between a small and medium. I am looking at getting the stealth surf bar to go with it as well. Anyone around this size go small harness and the 240cm (about 9.5”) or 280cm (about 11”) spreader bar? Or perhaps the medium with the 240cm spreader bar? I prefer a tighter fit but still want to be able to breathe.
A 32" waist pant/short is not a good reference for harness sizing. One can have a 32" waist and a 35" belly or a 30" belly.
You need to measure around your belly/lumbar area, not your waist. Your bellybutton is a good reference point. Use a tailor's tape measure and find out what your measurement. Make sure to stand tall and flatten out your belly. No need to suck it in, but don't measure slumped over with a relaxed belly. Now you can confidently identify your correct harness size.
E.g. I measure at 77cm and almost 79cm with a 3/2 wetsuit, so I use the size Small Majestic X.

Most harnesses offer a 2"-3" size range per given size. If you're right at the break point on the sizing, go up one size... but I should mention that going up one size tends to be the norm, some softshell harnesses will stretch out, especially when wet and with use. In this case staying with the smaller size can be advantageous.
Another way to confirm if a harness is too small is the amount of wrap the harness allows. You should have roughly about two fists worth of space at the bellybutton area (between the harness's wrap) when it's on. More than two fists of space = it's too small.

Stealth Bar sizing: The 280mm is for Small & Medium size mens harnesses. The 240mm is for XXS & XSmall. YOU WANT THE 280

Where in California are you?

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2

Postby BudhaNl » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:59 am

I've got the large Mystic X with a medium stealth spreaderbar. Works great for me, I can really tighten it. My waist at the belly button is about 32 but have rather larger hips.

Return to “Kitesurfing”