Forum for kitesurfers
espana23
Medium Poster
Gear: NA
Brand Affiliation: None

Attaching a hook knife on a Prolimit Predator 2018 harness

Postby espana23 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:17 am

Hi,

I am trying to figure out where to attach a hook knife on my Prolimit Predator 2018 harness. Beneath the bar there is a slot (that secures with velcro) where I can attach something with the already attached elastic band and I attached there a marine whistle. I cannot find a place suitable to attach a hook knife. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can attach one? Also, any suggestions on a good hook knife to buy that would work with my setup?

Thank you.

-Mike

espana23
Medium Poster
Gear: NA

Re: Attaching a hook knife on a Prolimit Predator 2018 harness

Postby espana23 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:53 pm

Anyone?

-Mike

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:12 pm

espana23 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:17 am
Beneath the bar there is a slot (that secures with velcro) where I can attach something with the already attached elastic band and I attached there a marine whistle. I cannot find a place suitable to attach a hook knife. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can attach one? Also, any suggestions on a good hook knife to buy that would work with my setup?
The slot/pocket that's below the bar on the pad portion is where you affix a knife. Mystic and Ion (and I'm sure others) have knives with a velcro (loop) tab that works in conjunction with the velcro (hook) tab in the slot to secure a knife in place.
Essentially the elastic band is for securing a key and the velcro is for securing a knife!

Out of what's available I like Mystic's new 2019 knife since it's a smaller profile and a more pronounce hook...
https://www.mysticboarding.com/products ... ket#000000

The only issue that you could run into is the velcro in your slot/pocket is the loop side, not the hook. Most of the knives that I've seen are designed for the opposite. Good luck! :thumb:

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:48 pm

And if you didn't want to stick it in that slot, you can also get the Hook Knife w/Sleeve from Dakine and put it over one of the straps on your harness. We did this pretty often for Ride Engine harnesses early on. Works pretty well!
https://www.xlkites.com/accessories/165 ... leeve.html

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:19 pm

espana23 wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to figure out where to attach a hook knife on my Prolimit Predator 2018 harness. Beneath the bar there is a slot (that secures with velcro) where I can attach something with the already attached elastic band and I attached there a marine whistle. I cannot find a place suitable to attach a hook knife. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can attach one? Also, any suggestions on a good hook knife to buy that would work with my setup?

Thank you.

-Mike

Forget the crap hook knifes that come with your harness...buy an EEZYCUT hook knife from Amazon or a dive shop....best hook knife made, double sided, comes with spare blades, and you can get with a simple holster that works great with any harness webbing......I have one on each side...

These users thanked the author matth for the post:
iriejohn (Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:40 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:44 pm

matth wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:19 pm
espana23 wrote:
Hi,

Thank you.

-Mike

Forget the crap hook knifes that come with your harness...buy an EEZYCUT hook knife from Amazon or a dive shop....best hook knife made, double sided, comes with spare blades, and you can get with a simple holster that works great with any harness webbing......I have one on each side...

I also have an Eezycut on each side.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:29 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:44 pm
matth wrote:
espana23 wrote:
Hi,

Thank you.

-Mike

I added an Eezycut as well but double?? Now that's prepared!

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:59 pm

cwood wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:29 pm
iriejohn wrote:
matth wrote:

Why not???...in a panic you could easily drop a knife, nice to have a backup..

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:17 pm

matth wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:59 pm
cwood wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:29 pm
iriejohn wrote:

Why not???...in a panic you could easily drop a knife, nice to have a backup..
Wasn't a criticism. I also fear dropping so I have a bungee on mine tied off to harness

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:29 pm

Or one arm might be tangled, injured, or otherwise not able to reach a knife.

Return to “Kitesurfing”