Coating your Kite

Forum for kitesurfers
Kapowski
Rare Poster
Gear: Evo
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Coating your Kite

Postby Kapowski » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:54 pm

Last set of kites lasted 2 years before they got pretty past it. I'm almost at that age and I just can't find an excuse to get new ones. Sure I'm in Scotland and there's less UV than other places but the blurb says it doubles the lifespan of tent flysheets and I guess that's roughly what I reckon it'll do for current kites. They also shed water super well 12 months after I put it on. 2.5 L easily did a 3 kite quiver with some left over which I periodically dip my lines in. Totally unscientific but seems to be working at the mo and its pretty cheap.

(Sorry - don't know how to reply to specific folk)
These users thanked the author Kapowski for the post:
Kitemenn (Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:52 am)
Rating: 3.03%

terryc
Rare Poster
Local Beach: pak nam pran
Favorite Beaches: sri lanka
Style: unperdictable
Gear: north
Has thanked: 0

Postby terryc » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:19 am

im sceptical about wax in the tropics, cant see it lasting..

also if u treat a kite thats getting a bit thin, surely u r replacing weight that has been lost.

Every new kite has "aging gene" ...its time to kick back.😀

michaelb1
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 190
Local Beach: Outer Banks, NC
Style: wave/freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter, Cabrinha Moto, Cabrinha Contra. North Wam directional. Spleen Session TT. Shinn Bronq TT.

Postby michaelb1 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:05 pm

Won’t the coating degrade over time into the water and the rest of the coastal environment?

Seems like an effective way to pollute nature.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:58 pm

Rufusz wrote: I applied the mixture to an old foil kite which was porous and the DWR layer was long gone and it worked like a charm.
Lasted about 1 season then it started sucking water again.

However the weight penalty was big as far
Styrene-butadiene rubber (SBR) AKA the various Goos or Goops thinned with either toluene or xylene, much much better than silicone. Lasts longer, more airtight, stronger and lighter. In the link I estimated I added 21 to 38g to an 8m foil kite so double sided. I don't think SBR is good for UV though but it is far superior in every other metric. Marine Goop has anti UV stuff added to it.

viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2392469&hilit=recoating
These users thanked the author foilholio for the post (total 2):
Rufusz (Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:03 pm) • edt (Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:50 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Pana
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 200 lbs
Local Beach: Lake Champlain, Baie des Brises
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Paracuru, Santa Veronica
Style: Smooth, old school, wave carver
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam HL 6-7-8 & 9m. Aluula 10-12 & 14m
Nomad wave TT
Shared gear with adorable wife

Postby Pana » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:18 am

Has anybody ever heard of or tested Para-shield on kites ?

Awaiting answers from them on a few questions concerning kites...

´Para-Shield is the most effective UV protectant and sealant, ideal for SkyTec ripstop nylon, gelvenor and F111 ripstop. Restores and fills porous parachutes, maintains a like-new appearance that revitalizes and conditions. Para-Shield keeps colors looking new, repels water, dirt and dust, prevents soiling and - most importantly - stops UV damage caused by the sun.´

Bbking
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha switchblade

Postby Bbking » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:23 pm

terryc wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:59 am
So you want to coat ur sweet kite, here is how you do it...

Mix pure, new silicon sealant with turps/white spirit/mineral spirit (oudorless if possible). MIX thorughly then put into a clear water bottle and shake until the silicon is FULLY suspended, no lumps.

Apply two coats to the extrados 1st coat 5:1, then, leave overnight and then 2nd coat, 3:1 (3 parts white spirit,1 part silicon sealant). Be aware that the first coat will soak through and you dont want a slippery floor 😀. The turps evaporates fairly quickly the fully silicon cures up to 24hrs later

The extrodos (outer surface) takes all the wear as its pumped up, deflated, and packed away on the sand (or whatever). Also the extrados takes the main UV hit. Best to start treating the kite in the first year. Im hoping that one treatment will last the life of the kite as silicon doesnt not break down. We will see!

It can be applied applied a broad brush and cereal bowl. Kite must be dried flat.

The kite weight will increase by the about the weight of the silicon chaulk, but the canopy will not hold water as it is hopefully non-porous. The kite MAY still be lighter than original weight.Tear strengh improves, hang time inproves, wear is reduced.

For the LE you may wish to try the window film, for areas that touch the sand (not tried) or car wax wipes. If the LE bladder is out u can coat the whole kite in one go (u dont want to unglue valves, or contaminate the bladder). Ive never had a strut blow out, so why add to the weight.

I live in thailand, UV damage is a bitch. Everytime u use the kite it gets lighter. Prevention is better than cure (and MUCH cheaper).

c u on the water..

Doctor Terry 😀

PS..Hey, let me know how u get on!
Is this silicon based coating good to reinforce the canopy of an old kite (not foil)?? The fabric has lots of wear and is falling apart... I want to try to keep it going a little longer. I already used sail repair tape on some areas, on the trailing edage, near the dacron, but I can't have it completly taped ...

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:16 pm

I've been running a long-term test with this:
214093.jpg
Unfortunately, the kite which needed it the most got sold... so that was a bit inconclusive.

I still have the 9 and 7, haven't had a chance to use the 7 since treatment and 9 only flew about half-dozen times. There's almost no weight penalty, canopy regains its colors and some crunchiness, but still remains softer than on brand new kites. There's definitely less water penetration, but then again - my testing has been very limited so far and I crash my gear even less.

As far as application goes - I've managed to stretch a 1L spray bottle on a full 12/9/7 quiver (both sides) - so it remains relatively cost effective.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:51 am

Kapowski wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:54 pm
Last set of kites lasted 2 years before they got pretty past it. I'm almost at that age and I just can't find an excuse to get new ones. Sure I'm in Scotland and there's less UV than other places but the blurb says it doubles the lifespan of tent flysheets and I guess that's roughly what I reckon it'll do for current kites. They also shed water super well 12 months after I put it on. 2.5 L easily did a 3 kite quiver with some left over which I periodically dip my lines in. Totally unscientific but seems to be working at the mo and its pretty cheap.

(Sorry - don't know how to reply to specific folk)

My kites last 4-5 years, before they begin to be a bit worn and usually changed a bit later (I can see on the age of the oldest ones I use today).
Slidelaunching a lot (mostly) on different surfaces, and dropped in waves now and then too.

One had a blown LE when cut on something sharp so it exploded, almost new 4 to 5 years ago - got repaired and has lasted since.

Riding +200 sessions per year that is, in Denmark and Capetown, using all sizes a lot, except for the 3.5 m2 LEI and 15 m2 foil kite - they are used somewhat less than the rest in between.

But of course, the last years I have gotten smaller spacing between sizes, so many advantages with this, besides stretching the life span hugely.
And also a lot of hydrofoiling, with less stress on the kite, except a lot of drifting/swimming with the kites ha haa :naughty:

Meaning, it is not "time" (age) as such that matters, it is usage :D

And in other parts of the world it will also be UV.

Flapping on the beach is not an issue, as so short time this happens compared to your riding time - so doesnt wear the kites really.

8) Peter

kiteswede
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Göteborg
Gear: F-one kite

Postby kiteswede » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:28 am

ldmelo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Fortaleza
Gear: F-One Bandit V 9m
Been thanked: 0

Postby ldmelo » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:24 pm

Bbking wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:23 pm
terryc wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:59 am
So you want to coat ur sweet kite, here is how you do it...

Mix pure, new silicon sealant with turps/white spirit/mineral spirit (oudorless if possible). MIX thorughly then put into a clear water bottle and shake until the silicon is FULLY suspended, no lumps.

Apply two coats to the extrados 1st coat 5:1, then, leave overnight and then 2nd coat, 3:1 (3 parts white spirit,1 part silicon sealant). Be aware that the first coat will soak through and you dont want a slippery floor 😀. The turps evaporates fairly quickly the fully silicon cures up to 24hrs later

The extrodos (outer surface) takes all the wear as its pumped up, deflated, and packed away on the sand (or whatever). Also the extrados takes the main UV hit. Best to start treating the kite in the first year. Im hoping that one treatment will last the life of the kite as silicon doesnt not break down. We will see!

It can be applied applied a broad brush and cereal bowl. Kite must be dried flat.

The kite weight will increase by the about the weight of the silicon chaulk, but the canopy will not hold water as it is hopefully non-porous. The kite MAY still be lighter than original weight.Tear strengh improves, hang time inproves, wear is reduced.

For the LE you may wish to try the window film, for areas that touch the sand (not tried) or car wax wipes. If the LE bladder is out u can coat the whole kite in one go (u dont want to unglue valves, or contaminate the bladder). Ive never had a strut blow out, so why add to the weight.

I live in thailand, UV damage is a bitch. Everytime u use the kite it gets lighter. Prevention is better than cure (and MUCH cheaper).

c u on the water..

Doctor Terry 😀

PS..Hey, let me know how u get on!
Is this silicon based coating good to reinforce the canopy of an old kite (not foil)?? The fabric has lots of wear and is falling apart... I want to try to keep it going a little longer. I already used sail repair tape on some areas, on the trailing edage, near the dacron, but I can't have it completly taped ...
need to know this too

Return to “Kitesurfing”