Local Beach: Golden Gardens, Richmond Beach, Double Bluff
Favorite Beaches: Double Bluff, The Hatchery, Damon Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Board Riding Maui
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Best boosting light wind kite

Postby Osprey1 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:49 am

I’m wondering what is the best boosting light wind kite that works well for both foiling when it’s below 12 knots and a twintip once the wind picks up a bit? Ive tried the mono, boxer, cloud, while good for foiling none of these kites boost like my pivot. But I hate bringing two kites to the beach as my Pivot is a bit heavy and won’t fly in as light of winds as these others will. Considering the Juice 13 or 15m but looking for other recommendations. Thanks

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: long bay tci
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Re: Best boosting light wind kite

Postby elguapo » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:44 am

imo, this is like asking the best bike for doing road racing and also excels doing tricks on a half pipe...
(2 completely different animals)

as you are aware lightwind or kite great for foiling do not boost well.. and kites that boost well tend to be heavy and not fly in the lightest winds.

you'll have to decide which is more important to you (and either err towards that side...or bring two kites)

after all that...
i'd say your best bet is a flysurfer soul.
the "err" here is imo a soul is a kite for boosting....that is also useable for foiling (if you can handle the power peaks)
since you have a cloud background...just be aware a soul flies absolutely nothing like a cloud. (if you expect that dont bother with a soul...you'll see it quickly)

i've used a 12m soul during the morning breezes (9-10 knts) and then used the same kite to boost when the thermals push the wind up to 25 knots (overpowered)

(if i were buying again i'd go with 10m over the 12m for same winds)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:53 am

Currently the only good Kite for that on the market could be the Slingshot Turbine...didn’t try the latest versions though.

Otherwise go back in time and find older kites...there were some really good ones.

Greenturtle
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Gear: Turbine 19, Flite 14.5, 12, 10, Rally 7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:26 pm

Flite would be another one to consider. Very light kite that flies really well in marginal conditions, that also has boosty design.

Windigo1
Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:43 pm

That's tricky 2 very different requirement. I use the Airush Ultra 15M and 12M for foiling they are brilliant foiling kite because they are so light stay in the sky when alll the other kites are in the water and drift really well. Thay can jump ok but not as good as a more rigid kite with more struts like my Rocas who have crazy hang time! You need many struts to have a stiff kite that can boost great but it's opposite for a super lightweight foiling kite. Foil kite like the Soul could be the answer they are great for foling and boost really good!

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:53 pm

Do you only consider LEIs?
If you are open to foils, I suggest to consider hyperlink 13 or Soul 15.
Hyperlink is a little more user friendly, imho.
I use 15 Soul from 6-7kts to about 13-14kts on hydrofoil.. start to get lofty 30 footers after 10kts and it gets a little crazy around 13kts on foil.
13-20kts is when you do paragliding on TT. If you can get a clean stretch of flat water or boost of a wave getting 40footers is not a problem.
It may really suck in chop though, cause those kites like to build speed.

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites

Postby foam-n-fibre » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:14 pm

I have a 10m OR Flite from 2017 that I got for foiling. I have used it a couple times non-foiling, once on snow with a snowboard and once with a twintip and have found it boosts way higher than I expected. It's definitely worth a try if you can get your hands on one.

Peter

WindJunkieFL
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 165
Local Beach: Jacksonville Beach
Favorite Beaches: Caye Caulker Belize
Sunshine Skyway Bridge Florida
Style: Free rider
Gear: 13m Cabrinha Contra
11m Cabrinha Switchblade
11m Cabrinha AV8
9m Cabrinha Velocity
8m North Orbit
CrazyFly Raptor
CrazyFly Cruiser LW
Been thanked: 0

Postby WindJunkieFL » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:19 pm

Cabrinha Velocity kites were always big floaty jumping kites in light wind, but it came with a shi* load of bar pressure. I use the Contra now, not nearly as big to jump with, but way easier to fly in light winds

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17, Flite 12 Aluula, Crave 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing, Mako 150, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:16 pm

Yep, as several others have mentioned, consider the Flite. Ocean Rodeo nailed light wind performance with those kites, but they are also amazing for boosting big. I've got EXTENSIVE experience flying them all (though mostly concentrated in the 17 and 12) and have them in my personal quiver. I've spent a bit of time over the last year using the 12 for foiling, and even the 17 when it's 10 knots or less (I'm a very UN-dainty 230 pies). Yes, I sell them, but I don't have to own them. And as I already stated...I do. Looks like you're over on the west coast, near Seattle, so you should be able to find a demo from someone closer than me. ;) Good luck!

SENDIT!

gozokiteboarding
Medium Poster
Local Beach: fort pierce jetty
Favorite Beaches: fort pierce inlet
hatterass and the florida keys, cozumel
Style: wake
Gear: Eclipse 8m,10m, 12m, thruster and 12m kima
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse team rider

Postby gozokiteboarding » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:52 pm

I recently used the AV8 from Cabrinha at a demo, jumped surprisingly well in light wind, not the best for freestyle but got some nice long smooth jumps out of it. Also had a surprising amount of power for the size. Did have some bar pressure and was not the worlds fastest turning kite, but had some grunt to it. Did not use it with a foil but Imagine is excellent with one. the wind was 10-14mph I would guess

Return to “Kitesurfing”