Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Duotone Rebel vs Core XR6

Forum for kitesurfers
oceansprince
Medium Poster
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:01 am
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: chios contari
Favorite Beaches: prasonisi
Style: waveride freestyle
Gear: cabrinha , wainman hawaii
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Duotone Rebel vs Core XR6

Postby oceansprince » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:12 pm

Anyone have try these two kites?
I want to find out differences for high jumps,lift and hangatime, kiteloop behavior, drift, bar feeling, wind range, for old school tricks
Some recommendations are welcome about settings for best balance performance.
I use to ride cabrinhas ( my first equipment)
Previous years wainman hawaii ( good overall, especially for freeride kite that can drift well and unhooked also.. 12m, 9m, 5,5m)
Right now i ride with North evo 2016 model 12m, 10m, 8m.
My thoughts are mix for evo, not as good for drift and loops as wainman, also wainman especially 12m boss in fast setting had a light bar pressure , was good for hooked aerial tricks and good for learning unhooked...(except chicken loop that was not right for unhooked, was soft and small), jumping with 12m boss wasn’t so high.. or maybe my technique is better now..not sure
9m in medium setting was more heavy and different attitude, also good
Evo have an easy behavior for jumps, but the loops have not graduated power, seems like when you pull the bar first second you loose half of the power and you fall down...moving my hand more center this issue become less but the loop very slow..
It time to change the game...new kites..thank you

Mo
Frequent Poster
Posts: 380
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: The KiteHouse _ North Marina _ Liban Nord
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan, Ras Sudr
Style: Freestyle
Gear: DTK Juice 15m, Rebel 12m, Dice 9m, Evo9m, Evo7m
Brand Affiliation: Duotone
Location: Lebanon
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 5 times
Contact:

Re: Duotone Rebel vs Core XR6

Postby Mo » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:52 am

The Rebel is not a kite for kite loops.

Evo and Dice behave differently in different sizes as well.

Aerial Old school --> Rebel
Kiteloops --> Dice
All of the above rounded and shaved --> EVO

In 12m, recommend Dice and Rebel
In 9m, Dice and Evo do well

I was on Dice 9m 2020 yesterday, so different from Dice 9m 2019. So, do not judge 2016 and related to what is on the market today.

Mo

oceansprince
Medium Poster
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:01 am
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: chios contari
Favorite Beaches: prasonisi
Style: waveride freestyle
Gear: cabrinha , wainman hawaii
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Duotone Rebel vs Core XR6

Postby oceansprince » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:13 am

Mo wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:52 am
The Rebel is not a kite for kite loops.

Evo and Dice behave differently in different sizes as well.

Aerial Old school --> Rebel
Kiteloops --> Dice
All of the above rounded and shaved --> EVO

In 12m, recommend Dice and Rebel
In 9m, Dice and Evo do well

I was on Dice 9m 2020 yesterday, so different from Dice 9m 2019. So, do not judge 2016 and related to what is on the market today.

Mo
I saw some rebel kites to kiteloop, also for sure even 2018 north evo is better than my 2016, so even better the 2019 duotone. Some reviews said that last model of evo drift better, kiteloop better...
Dice could be a good choice if can jump high, not at high end power only but general..

Exal
Frequent Poster
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:38 am
Kiting since: 2018
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: Duotone Rebel vs Core XR6

Postby Exal » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:48 am

If you know your stuff the rebel is probably good for looping. Have a look at Erik ( on the 10m he uses the soft setting and on the 8m the hard setting, everytime with a medium size clickbar. Will be interesting to see what he'll use of the new kites since he switched to the rebel from the vegas but he is good and crazy.

Mo
Frequent Poster
Posts: 380
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: The KiteHouse _ North Marina _ Liban Nord
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan, Ras Sudr
Style: Freestyle
Gear: DTK Juice 15m, Rebel 12m, Dice 9m, Evo9m, Evo7m
Brand Affiliation: Duotone
Location: Lebanon
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 5 times
Contact:

Re: Duotone Rebel vs Core XR6

Postby Mo » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:00 am

Exal wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:48 am
If you know your stuff the rebel is probably good for looping. Have a look at Erik ( on the 10m he uses the soft setting and on the 8m the hard setting, everytime with a medium size clickbar. Will be interesting to see what he'll use of the new kites since he switched to the rebel from the vegas but he is good and crazy.
thanks
The best kite for looping is the Dice then Evo then Rebel - you can loop any kite on the planet but personally I do to like to loop a kite and I do not get the Kiteloop punch - rebel is so soft in kite looping.
Mo

Mo
Frequent Poster
Posts: 380
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: The KiteHouse _ North Marina _ Liban Nord
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan, Ras Sudr
Style: Freestyle
Gear: DTK Juice 15m, Rebel 12m, Dice 9m, Evo9m, Evo7m
Brand Affiliation: Duotone
Location: Lebanon
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 5 times
Contact:

Re: Duotone Rebel vs Core XR6

Postby Mo » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:03 am

Exal wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:48 am
If you know your stuff the rebel is probably good for looping. Have a look at Erik ( on the 10m he uses the soft setting and on the 8m the hard setting, everytime with a medium size clickbar. Will be interesting to see what he'll use of the new kites since he switched to the rebel from the vegas but he is good and crazy.
No comment :-)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 11.02.02 AM.png

Exal
Frequent Poster
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:38 am
Kiting since: 2018
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: Duotone Rebel vs Core XR6

Postby Exal » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:34 am

I can't remember asking you Mo but sure, you're welcome :naughty:

wrogu
Frequent Poster
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:12 am
Kiting since: 1
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Duotone Rebel vs Core XR6

Postby wrogu » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:34 am

WTF is Vegas :D :D

Not the easiest one to loop but gives you a punch.

Bbking
Rare Poster
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 3:20 am
Kiting since: 2015
Gear: Cabrinha switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Duotone Rebel vs Core XR6

Postby Bbking » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:37 pm

I had a chance to demo the lastest XR a few days ago. I cannot compare it to the new Rebel though, only to my old 5 line-rebel.

I though the XR6 would be a slow kite made for jumps only, but I was surprised by the demo. I tested a 9m and if I remember correctly I had it on the "soft" setting. It was very responsive, good hang time, very well build. The bar is clean, but functinonal. I wouldn't use it for unhooked tricks and it is maybe not the best for waves, but it is a VERY good kite for everything else (and probably can get the job done in the waves)!
These users thanked the author Bbking for the post:
GraemeF (Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:12 pm)
Rating: 10%

User avatar
GraemeF
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1069
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:16 pm
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hythe Kent.
Dymchurch Kent
Greatstone Kent
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne Mauritius
Nyali Kenya
Style: Freeriding Ariel Lawnmower
Gear: Core
Brand Affiliation: Core Distributor
Location: Folkestone Kent UK
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 8 times
Contact:

Re: Duotone Rebel vs Core XR6

Postby GraemeF » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:15 pm

Bbking wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:37 pm
I had a chance to demo the lastest XR a few days ago. I cannot compare it to the new Rebel though, only to my old 5 line-rebel.

I though the XR6 would be a slow kite made for jumps only, but I was surprised by the demo. I tested a 9m and if I remember correctly I had it on the "soft" setting. It was very responsive, good hang time, very well build. The bar is clean, but functinonal. I wouldn't use it for unhooked tricks and it is maybe not the best for waves, but it is a VERY good kite for everything else (and probably can get the job done in the waves)!
Which is exactly the role the XR6 is tasked with, in my obviously biased view, it is without doubt the best all round free ride and boosting kite on the market. Core make other kites suitable for unhooked and waves (Nexus) or freestyle unhooked and looping (GTS5) all comparable best in class kites.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], jaros, JorgeB, oldkiter and 25 guests

cron