Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The Gorge. Shut down or not in Aug

Forum for kitesurfers
CanadianGringo
Rare Poster
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:16 pm
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Northern Ontario Lakes
Great Lakes
Favorite Beaches: Lake Simcoe
Squamish
Crescent Beach NS
The Gorge
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish/Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

The Gorge. Shut down or not in Aug

Postby CanadianGringo » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:17 pm

Will be out in British Columbia on vacation. Want to make the trip to Hood River mid August, but would it be fair to say this time of year is hit or miss and potentially SUP season? Just looking now seems like no wind?

Thoughts?

mmac
Rare Poster
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:48 am
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: IOP
Style: surf
Gear: Duotone
Brand Affiliation: none
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: The Gorge. Shut down or not in Aug

Postby mmac » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:26 pm

August in the Gorge can be very good but it depends on the temps in PDX. If it gets too hot in PDX then you may need to head to the OR Coast for wind.

tkaraszewski
Medium Poster
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:03 pm
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Hood River
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Moses/F-One/Flysurfer mostly
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: The Gorge. Shut down or not in Aug

Postby tkaraszewski » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:54 am

August is generally a good month in the Gorge. The wind can be light on very hot days (like this past weekend), but it's still windy more often than it's not. I kited all through August last year. It's 18 knots right this minute. The forecast for this week:

Tue, Aug 6 2019: The Corridor sees up and down near to spotty low-20's westerlies

Wed, Aug 7 2019: The Corridor sees low to mid-20's westerlies

Thu, Aug 8 2019: The Corridor sees upper-teens to low-20's

It really starts to slow down in September.

Kitetwin-1
Rare Poster
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:16 pm
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Kettle point
The BlueWater Bridge
Brights Grove
Favorite Beaches: Cuba cayo Guillermo
Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia
Style: Free ride and foiling
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: The Gorge. Shut down or not in Aug

Postby Kitetwin-1 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:08 am

Just finishing a run of 31 days here in the Gorge, only missed one. Bring a foil and watch the weather carefully. The easterlies at Stevenson are awesome.

Wolkster
Rare Poster
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:21 pm
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Galveston, Tx
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach, Maui
Hood River, Oregon
Tariff, Spain
Style: Free rider
Gear: Naish, Crazy Fly, Core
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Texas, USA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The Gorge. Shut down or not in Aug

Postby Wolkster » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:18 pm

Just got back from spending a week there, so this is what I experienced.
2 days on 12m
1 day on 8m
1 day on a 7m
2 days with little to no wind
I had pretty much similar results as last year at the same time, if you hit Hood River during a heat wave (I.E. more than 90 deg F) it will be light.

BTW the wind forecasts for Hood River are not very reliable in my opinion.

User avatar
foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Posts: 451
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:50 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: The Gorge. Shut down or not in Aug

Postby foam-n-fibre » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:29 pm

August may not be as good as July on average but you could easily hit a solid week of wind. Don't give up on it, but watch the forecast. As others said a huge heat wave in Portland can be a problem. The best source for a forecast is this https://thegorgeismygym.com/forecast/

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1474
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:49 am
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: The Gorge. Shut down or not in Aug

Postby knotwindy » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:42 pm

When there is wind it is gusty and the launches suck and are dangerously crowded. Even worse on the weekends.

Wolkster
Rare Poster
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:21 pm
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Galveston, Tx
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach, Maui
Hood River, Oregon
Tariff, Spain
Style: Free rider
Gear: Naish, Crazy Fly, Core
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Texas, USA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The Gorge. Shut down or not in Aug

Postby Wolkster » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:58 pm

knotwindy wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:42 pm
When there is wind it is gusty and the launches suck and are dangerously crowded. Even worse on the weekends.
I did not find the launches that physically dangerous, the Event Site sand bar is pretty nice setup. (Grass to rig up on, thong bikinis, food trucks, no theft)

Never seen so many Kooks on the beach though, every day there was someone dropping kites on top people or bringing their unskilled beginner friends to flounder on a crowded beach.

slowboat
Frequent Poster
Posts: 457
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:55 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: The Gorge. Shut down or not in Aug

Postby slowboat » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:14 pm

Wolkster wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:58 pm
knotwindy wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:42 pm
When there is wind it is gusty and the launches suck and are dangerously crowded. Even worse on the weekends.
I did not find the launches that physically dangerous, the Event Site sand bar is pretty nice setup. (Grass to rig up on, thong bikinis, food trucks, no theft)

Never seen so many Kooks on the beach though, every day there was someone dropping kites on top people or bringing their unskilled beginner friends to flounder on a crowded beach.
So is the launch there sand or grass?

tkaraszewski
Medium Poster
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:03 pm
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Hood River
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Moses/F-One/Flysurfer mostly
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: The Gorge. Shut down or not in Aug

Postby tkaraszewski » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:29 pm

slowboat wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:14 pm
Wolkster wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:58 pm
knotwindy wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:42 pm
When there is wind it is gusty and the launches suck and are dangerously crowded. Even worse on the weekends.
I did not find the launches that physically dangerous, the Event Site sand bar is pretty nice setup. (Grass to rig up on, thong bikinis, food trucks, no theft)

Never seen so many Kooks on the beach though, every day there was someone dropping kites on top people or bringing their unskilled beginner friends to flounder on a crowded beach.
So is the launch there sand or grass?
Sand in the summertime, grass in the off season (grass launch is closed during the summer).
These users thanked the author tkaraszewski for the post:
slowboat (Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:02 pm)
Rating: 10%


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], jake46, JorgeB, prop_joe and 18 guests

cron