Forum for kitesurfers
athen
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1
Brand Affiliation: None

today's best universal bars?

Postby athen » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:48 am

Good Wednesday Everybody!

are nowadays the BARS almost all really adaptable to fly any kind of LEI kite? or is it still not entirely true?

I heard (also from some instructors) and read that the industry should move towards the direction that all kitesurf-bars should be universal (interchangeable) to be used with any different brand of kite.

That should be amazing.
Also to avoid paying 500 or 600 euros for a very famous brand's bar and with almost half money should be able to buy an excellent "noname" bar.

What are your opinions to choose today a good quality bar without paying a fortune?

Leon van Bergen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Style: Freeride
Gear: Duotone Rebels 6M, 8m & 11m, 15m Juice, 17m Best Roca, on my Lieuwe Shotgun

Re: today's best universal bars?

Postby Leon van Bergen » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:10 am

Well, I fly with the North / Duotone Click bar and they come with extentions and seem to fit a lot of kites. you buy them one year old for half the new price. know a lot of guys use the Click bar on other brands like Naish, Core etz.

HugoMC
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Dolly
Gear: Gaastra Pure :)

Postby HugoMC » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:29 am

A lot of it is down to preference. I see gong has a bar for 300euro which could be pretty good.

Click bar is definitely extremely advanced design wise. I prefer having the depower line directly in front of me personally.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: No brand affiliation
Has thanked: 0

Postby alexeyga » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:23 pm

With some notable exceptions, most big-brand's bars are as universal as it gets these days. Try to get last year's models on sale and you'll be much more satisfied than with anything generic. SS, LF, OR, Naish - even F-One is making a really nice, standard bar now.

elguapo
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: cabarete, kanaha
Gear: ..

Postby elguapo » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:53 pm

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Gear: 7m Prodigy, 9.5m Prodigy, 12m Prodigy , 12m Flite, 17m Flite. Crazyfly Raptor Pro Neon, Shinnster,
Mako Duke.

Postby matth » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:02 pm

I use Slingshot bars on all my kites.. great bars, easy to change parts, built like a rock....the blue collar bar..lol

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:09 pm

I agree with matth, SS bars are built tough and are durable. their lines are excellent too. a bit on the heavy side but an excellent bar.

eloico
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby eloico » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:54 pm

SS Bars are ok BUT:

-heavy
-magnet in cleat to keep tidy the depower rope is a big Joke, it just do not work properly, gets rusty, and collects all the little iron particles in the sand...
-depower rope wears down after a few sessions (lighwind and moving the kite a lot).
-replacing depower rope is difficult and requires 2 different tools.
-and a few other things...

I see a lot of room for improvement ! in Bar Desing " Less is More"

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Firewire/Tomo Surfboards
Loyd Surfboards
Brand Affiliation: iKitesurf

Postby Da Yoda » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:59 pm

athen wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:48 am
are nowadays the BARS almost all really adaptable to fly any kind of LEI kite? or is it still not entirely true?
Unfortunately it's still not true.

Companies like Core and Duotone still have c-bars with dedicated high-Y front lines that are generally not compatible with other brands of kites that are designed for low-V front lines. It's not saying you can't use them, but YMMV with performance gain or loss. Usually it's more common to have a loss in performance.

However like already mentioned, some companies like Duotone, F-One, and Liquid Force offer bars that are now convertible for both high-Y or low-V front lines and will generally work well on other brands.
The only thing to be aware of is the depower throw can vary between brands (usually not by much) and are not adjustable on the PU tube covered versions, so this could have an adverse affect with other kites that are not designed around these bars. Once again YMMV. It can be potentially mitigated by adjusting with the trim and the line/bridle attachment points if that's an option.

Now when combining a low-V bar with a low-V designed kite (90%+ of the kites now), most bars are cross-compatible with the only possibility of having to reverse or add pigtails to align correctly with the kite's attachments. You still may encounter some variances in the depower throw vs what the kite was designed around, but that can often be mitigated in the same manor that I mentioned above. :thumb:

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:32 pm

Da Yoda wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:59 pm
athen wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:48 am
Unfortunately it's still not true.

Companies like Core and Duotone still have c-bars with dedicated high-Y front lines that are generally not compatible with other brands of kites that are designed for low-V front lines. It's not saying you can't use them, but YMMV with performance gain or loss. Usually it's more common to have a loss in performance.

However like already mentioned, some companies like Duotone, F-One, and Liquid Force offer bars that are now convertible for both high-Y or low-V front lines and will generally work well on other brands.
The only thing to be aware of is the depower throw can vary between brands (usually not by much) and are not adjustable on the PU tube covered versions, so this could have an adverse affect with other kites that are not designed around these bars. Once again YMMV. It can be potentially mitigated by adjusting with the trim and the line/bridle attachment points if that's an option.

Now when combining a low-V bar with a low-V designed kite (90%+ of the kites now), most bars are cross-compatible with the only possibility of having to reverse or add pigtails to align correctly with the kite's attachments. You still may encounter some variances in the depower throw vs what the kite was designed around, but that can often be mitigated in the same manor that I mentioned above. :thumb:
I must say you grossly overestimate what is "designed" in kites for "low V or high Y". Most if not all high Y kites work just as well or better with low V - as long as line length difference between two designs is compensated.

All LEI kites have quite small wingspan leading to short tow point separation. So angle difference for pull between high Y or low V is small or insignificant. In principle low V is better because pull is more "straight" down, extreme high Y is bad because it tries to compress kite wingtips closer to each other. Normally used high Y (like North) is very conservative, actually it is not high at all.

And yes I've tested high Y's and also all line lengths (low V) from 6m to 50m (shortest of which kite sees similar to high Y) so I should know something about the topic. Many people have hard time to understand that if line which was straight (low V) is changed to go via bend (high Y) it will work shorter (this relates to topic how bar line lengths are defined, but I'm not going there).

Return to “Kitesurfing”