Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: today's best universal bars?

Postby edt » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:29 pm

mar menor wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:04 am
anyone tried this?
./bar?fbclid=Iw ... wc&lang=en
If you are relatively new to kiting you need a control bar with floats. The #1 reason to have floats on the end of your control bar is because you can get a death loop if the rear lines and sometimes also the center line wrap around the bar. Then nothing you can do just have to full release the kite and usually it takes at least 2 full loops of getting teabagged because on the first loop you pull the QR nothing happens you loop again then on the 2nd you pull the leash release. The most common way this happens is a hard crash in a wave where the lines go slack and you are swimming back to the surface, very easy for the lines to wrap around the bar. Another reason you want a float is if you pull the quick release and the control bar has no floats it can sink to the bottom and snag there powering a death loop. This isn't as dangerous just destroys the kite. If you are experienced, there are plenty of reasons to use these minimal control bars but when you start out make sure you get a control bar with floats, at least until you have experienced a few death loops so you understand what you are giving up by not having them on the control bar.

mar menor
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 70kgs
Local Beach: Mar Menor - los narejos ,la llana, Cabo de palos
Favorite Beaches: Calblanque, El Pinet
Gear: Ozone Alpha V2 10m,PLKB Ozone Alpha v1 8m,PLKB Synergy and Swell 8m & 6m
Boards-Groove skate and moses 633 and 679,north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Ozone ,PLKB,Prolimit

Postby mar menor » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:58 pm

"because on the first loop you pull the QR nothing happens you loop again then on the 2nd you pull the leash release."
That is why there is no leash..... you have the option of one release everything gone rather than having to deploy twice....

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010

Postby edt » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:06 pm

mar menor wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:58 pm
"because on the first loop you pull the QR nothing happens you loop again then on the 2nd you pull the leash release."
That is why there is no leash..... you have the option of one release everything gone rather than having to deploy twice....
A lot of us kite in crowded places where a leash is required. I don't think this system is best for new kiter's.

mar menor
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 70kgs
Local Beach: Mar Menor - los narejos ,la llana, Cabo de palos
Favorite Beaches: Calblanque, El Pinet
Gear: Ozone Alpha V2 10m,PLKB Ozone Alpha v1 8m,PLKB Synergy and Swell 8m & 6m
Boards-Groove skate and moses 633 and 679,north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Ozone ,PLKB,Prolimit

Postby mar menor » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:23 pm

No leash is needed because you have a secondary release (which is what a leash actually is) The major benefit is this 'secondary' release can be used as a primary release so you don't have to deploy 2 separate releases to detach completely.
It seems you do not really understand how the Pintxo works? From the website

"Below the stainless steel ring I have attached another very short quickrelease for the total release. If I release it by pulling towards my body I am immediately separated from the entire system and have no connection to my kite anymore. In my view a big advantage, because I do not want to activate a quickrelease for a chicken loop first and then searching the safetyleash to release when another abandoned and uncontrolled kite has caught in mine and starts to loop. Even in the waves I appreciate the possibility of an immediate total release very much which has often saved my kite from destruction."

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010

Postby edt » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:01 pm

Oh yeah you're right I didn't understand. That's like the cabrinha leashless system. One type of release for full release a different release for flagging. That's fine but i still think new kiters need bar floats at a minimum to prevent death loops. Experienced kiters can go for the minimal system.

Return to “Kitesurfing”