Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Alkita boards
Zeeko foil
GK Trix
Enduro9
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast

Re: today's best universal bars?

Postby bragnouff » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:32 am

The good thing about low-V bars is that this gives you a chance to have 4 lines of equal length. In the long term, for maintenance, this is quite convenient, as you can replace just one or just a pair. Simpler, standard, future proof.
Anything else is just a real pain in the ass, and just a marketing ploy to entice you to replace the whole bar once one line is toast.

While at it, how hard would it be for brands to sell lines that are actually, (and exactly) the length they advertise? I think Ozone's 25m lines are actually shorter than that, to take into account the length of the leader lines, which is arguably f*d up as it ruins all compatibility with other bars, and even with different models of their bars...
These users thanked the author bragnouff for the post:
andrzej351 (Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:07 am)
Rating: 10%

athen
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby athen » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:34 am

Good day!

how do you consider this bar? I read very good feedbacks about it and the brand itself:

https://www.gong-galaxy.com/en/product/ ... omplete-2/

Is this a low-V front lines bar, isn’t it?

Thank you!

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra and Union, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:13 am

athen wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:34 am
Good day!

how do you consider this bar? I read very good feedbacks about it and the brand itself:

Thank you!
Thats a rebranded KiteAttitude bar. https://www.kiteattitude.fr/en/13-universal-bars

If you don't mind the colours you can save a few Euros by getting it direct rather than through a reseller.

evan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Moses Comet 111 2018
Peter Lynn Aero
Brand Affiliation: Infexion
Peter Lynn
Moses

Postby evan » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:47 am

bragnouff wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:32 am
The good thing about low-V bars is that this gives you a chance to have 4 lines of equal length. In the long term, for maintenance, this is quite convenient, as you can replace just one or just a pair. Simpler, standard, future proof.
Anything else is just a real pain in the ass, and just a marketing ploy to entice you to replace the whole bar once one line is toast.

While at it, how hard would it be for brands to sell lines that are actually, (and exactly) the length they advertise? I think Ozone's 25m lines are actually shorter than that, to take into account the length of the leader lines, which is arguably f*d up as it ruins all compatibility with other bars, and even with different models of their bars...
I think the ozone way is the most fair. All others you have to guess the actual line length as the leaders range from 0.7 to 1.5m and on race bars even more sometimes. So 22m lines can be anything from 22-24m, depending on the brand.
Ozone just uses 4 lines of equal length, so no problem swapping the lines with any generic set, good luck with that on Duotone, Slingshot etc.
Talking about Slingshot, their 23m bars are 24.6m including leaders and pigtails with a 60cm difference between the front and back lines. So tell me what is more fair. 23m = 24.6m or 23=23m.

A proper line repair shop can make every line within a few mm. Biggest problem is mixing old and new lines as old worn out lines can shrink up to 200mm, making the bar way out of tune when replacing only the power or back line pair with the original "new" lengths.

Evan - Infexion

nixmatters
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: custom made

Postby nixmatters » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:28 pm

Attachments
IMG_20190808_130651.jpg
IMG_20190808_131430.jpg
IMG_20190808_130608.jpg
IMG_20190808_130608.jpg (43.16 KiB) Viewed 265 times

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix rpm ozone

Postby edt » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:35 pm

athen wrote:
Good day!

Thank you!
looks ok to me, I think it's low V, hard to tell from the photos. Right now I like the Naish bars the best but I used to like North the best and for a while I liked ozone the best so what I feel is the best control bar is you know just a slight preference, they are all good (except for switch and core for reasons stated above). I think I've owned nearly half of all the brands out there by now. Modern bars are more expensive but they are also a lot better especially the flagging systems.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 9m Element V3 7m V4 9m-5m
Crazyfly Bulldozer 2017 Firewire Hellrazor 6.1 timbertek Shinn Shinnster.

Postby Faxie » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:06 pm

edt wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:35 pm
athen wrote:
Good day!

Thank you!
looks ok to me, I think it's low V, hard to tell from the photos. Right now I like the Naish bars the best but I used to like North the best and for a while I liked ozone the best so what I feel is the best control bar is you know just a slight preference, they are all good (except for switch and core for reasons stated above). I think I've owned nearly half of all the brands out there by now. Modern bars are more expensive but they are also a lot better especially the flagging systems.
I don't get what's the problem with the Switch system? Same CL as Peter Lynn, and previously Ocean Rodeo/BWS (and yeah, they suck, but you're not complaining about those), and the safetyline sits on a stopperball on the depower bracket, same as Ozone. Best proven system that doesn't chew up your lines like the Naish and previous Switch does.
These users thanked the author Faxie for the post:
athen (Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:49 pm)

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix rpm ozone

Postby edt » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:46 pm

I have had problems with the switch flag out line sticking and not depowering the kite (even with the v4). It's possible that Peter Lynn has the same problem haven't tried it. Switch keeps improving their control bars every year and I'm sure by the time they come out with controller v5 I'll be endorsing them. I could be wrong tho, you use the control bar way more than I have I just demoed it and threw the safety a bunch of times.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 9m Element V3 7m V4 9m-5m
Crazyfly Bulldozer 2017 Firewire Hellrazor 6.1 timbertek Shinn Shinnster.

Postby Faxie » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:10 pm

edt wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:46 pm
I have had problems with the switch flag out line sticking and not depowering the kite (even with the v4). It's possible that Peter Lynn has the same problem haven't tried it. Switch keeps improving their control bars every year and I'm sure by the time they come out with controller v5 I'll be endorsing them. I could be wrong tho, you use the control bar way more than I have I just demoed it and threw the safety a bunch of times.
Ah wait... there was this problem where the loop/loop connection on the first bars was too thick. Straightening the loops and pull tight again resolved it. There's a notice on the website too, and they changed the stopper ball a bit so there's less chance of the loops thickening up again. But the CL is the exact same as the PL/OR so those should have the same potential problem.

I don't have the Switch V4 bar anymore... there were some durability problems with it for me, and I hate the QR system. But again, same goes for the PL/OR bars... never heard anyone complain about those.

Got a custom bar now, and couldn't be happier.
These users thanked the author Faxie for the post:
edt (Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:28 pm)

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:29 pm

Faxie wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:10 pm

Got a custom bar now, and couldn't be happier.
Just one? :-)

Return to “Kitesurfing”