Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The journey from <10m to 20m

Forum for kitesurfers
nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra and Union, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The journey from <10m to 20m

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:55 pm

I am currently riding a Ronson for my day to day board, previously on a ultrasonic and gintronic. I have ridden the Monk but not owned one.

If you watch Anton's first Learning to fly tutorial* - he goes into what he calls power stance. This is all about getting a fairly even weight distribution between you front and rear foot (look at videos of Aaron Hadlow to see a good example of this). The Monk is great board that works nicely with a rear weight bias, but I always thought it really came alive with this power stance. I'm afraid its not the board holding you back. Its a great board. I am only really on the Ronson as its more boots compatible and the landings are a little softer. If anything, I'd say the Monk could probably hold the most power of any board in the range (maybe the Bronq is a little better?)

The even weight bias is good because the board cuts through the chop better allowing you to hold more power in comfort. Have a look around next time you kite. If you aren't going upwind higher than pretty much everyone else on the beach you probably aren't engaging the edge fully. The only downside is you will get way more spray in the face from your board.

* I probably sound like a sales rep for Anton here but it probably made the quickest improvement to my riding than anything I have otherwise watched and its cheaper than an hours private tuition
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post:
Kuyu (Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:51 am)
Rating: 10%

Kitemenn
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:05 pm

Also a Anton fan! He is really detailed and explains it quite well! Only downside is, all his basics are based on flatwater spots. Where I only ride on sea (choppy) makes it def harder to boost significantly (although the use of an occasional kicker does help)
Last edited by Kitemenn on Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Kitemenn for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:48 pm)
Rating: 10%

Exal
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:21 pm

Really good advice here. If you want to make it easy then I'd say: fly to capetown, put up your 8m when the cape doctor is blowing, wait a bit until you see the set waves coming in - check downwind area to be clear, go full force over the 2nd set wave and send it. I don't think you need proper technique, just hold your edge somewhat and hold on for dear life.

Edit: if you want to charge 30m, repeat the same at misty cliffs but keep in mind all this came from an advanced beginner :D

HugoMC
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Dolly
Style: Freeride
Gear: Gaastra Pure :)

Postby HugoMC » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:28 pm

Kuyu wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:46 am

But regarding balls, i'll tell you one thing. the first couple of time I did not know I was gonna go that high, so it didn't really take much. But now I more aware of what is possible and now fear has a nesting place ..
Takes way more balls after you figure out how painful it can be when you crash big :rollgrin:

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1970
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:40 pm

Boots.

And Huge feet.

Think Kelly Slater. Huge leverage on board.

Than the gear...

But.it.is.not.worth.risking.injury.

Pemba
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Ozone C4, Brokite Hybrid

Postby Pemba » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:47 pm

Exal wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:21 pm
Really good advice here. If you want to make it easy then I'd say: fly to capetown, put up your 8m when the cape doctor is blowing, wait a bit until you see the set waves coming in - check downwind area to be clear, go full force over the 2nd set wave and send it. I don't think you need proper technique, just hold your edge somewhat and hold on for dear life.

Edit: if you want to charge 30m, repeat the same at misty cliffs but keep in mind all this came from an advanced beginner :D
I don't think so. I'm in a similar position, stuck around (just below) 10 metres. We rarely have more than 20 knots here but the few times we do, it doesn't really appear to help me much. I can go flat out at a wave, send it etc and it feels great but apparently I can still get equally high (or low..) on flat water and in less wind. And I think its because of bad technique, not enough edge/line tension to be specific. I think the idea of trying with as big a kite as possible is an interesting one, I'm definately going to try that.

Exal
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:12 pm

Pemba wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:47 pm
I don't think so. I'm in a similar position, stuck around (just below) 10 metres. We rarely have more than 20 knots here but the few times we do, it doesn't really appear to help me much. I can go flat out at a wave, send it etc and it feels great but apparently I can still get equally high (or low..) on flat water and in less wind. And I think its because of bad technique, not enough edge/line tension to be specific. I think the idea of trying with as big a kite as possible is an interesting one, I'm definately going to try that.
Well I was talking about cape town specifially. They get 30 to 40 knots during the season, perfect side on wind, 3 to 4m ramps rolling straight towards the beach. I was watching the guys boost there in february and if you charge those ramps and send it. Yeah, you go :o

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 9m Element V3 7m V4 9m-5m
Crazyfly Bulldozer 2017 Firewire Hellrazor 6.1 timbertek Shinn Shinnster.

Postby Faxie » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:37 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:03 pm
Have you watched Anton's video - Learning to Fly part 2? I really rate it. Worth the money.

He explains how to bridge that gap from just pulling and sending to getting much bigger air. There are a bunch of exercises in there as well. He shows 10m+ jumps on flat water in moderate wind (20-25 knots ) to demonstrate the technique works.

Essentially his technique is to push the kite to the edge of the window just before sending it and then redirect as it luffs back into the power as this luff will have less pull so you can keep your edge with more power in the kite.

I'm not good enough to explain it any better than this and as they say a tutorial video is worth a thousand words
This is a misconception that just keeps on being repeated over and over again...

You're on a kite, not on a cable. A cable keeps going forward when you edge, a kite doesn't initially. When you edge, you are moving your wind window forward, having the kite basically move away from the edge. But because kites fly forward, it will go towards the new edge, producing it's own apparent wind and so more power and responsiveness, and that's the moment when you send the kite up. In lighter winds, where the apparent component counts for more, the technique gets more important.

Don't you think it's odd that you 'edge hard to bring your kite to the edge' to dump power when riding, but at the same time 'edge hard to bring your kite to the edge' to make those 20+ jumps?

The Anton video's are really good, even though some of the basics of kite behaviour are explained wrong. It's the board control that matters most anyway and he does a good job of explaining that. Still waiting for the chop video, if it will ever be made...

Biggest problem I have myself is finding those good spots, where you can get speed without bouncing all over the place, and have a good kicker that doesn't break and whitewash right before you. Oh and not having 20 people in front and behind you, plus a safety margin for the beach... there is one spot over here where it's never crowded, and you're behind a sandbank where the kickers are very clean and don't break, plus smooth water untill you're at the kickers... but it depends a lot on the wind direction and tide, so the good conditions are rare there... but when they are, it takes no effort at all to make good jumps.
These users thanked the author Faxie for the post (total 2):
Kitemenn (Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:33 am) • andrzej351 (Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:07 pm)
Rating: 20%

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra and Union, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:38 pm

Fair enough. Hadn't really thought about it before. I don't recall the explanation that he gave for it on the video. It makes sense the way you explain it though.

If you have seen the videos he always says that if you want to learn you are better off flying out to a flat water spot on holiday. I guess its the same for the freestyle riders too. We get about an hour a tide when we can get flattish water. You just have to hope it matches up with the wind and there aren't too many people about (can hold about 4 people at the same time)

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 9m Element V3 7m V4 9m-5m
Crazyfly Bulldozer 2017 Firewire Hellrazor 6.1 timbertek Shinn Shinnster.

Postby Faxie » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:40 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:38 pm
Fair enough. Hadn't really thought about it before. I don't recall the explanation that he gave for it on the video. It makes sense the way you explain it though.

If you have seen the videos he always says that if you want to learn you are better off flying out to a flat water spot on holiday. I guess its the same for the freestyle riders too. We get about an hour a tide when we can get flattish water. You just have to hope it matches up with the wind and there aren't too many people about (can hold about 4 people at the same time)
Yeah, a good spot makes a world of difference

Return to “Kitesurfing”