Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: FWT
Gear: .
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Going lighter on foil

Postby boubou » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:47 pm

In the spirit if going lighter I have read many post on DIY bar.
Have anyone tested using a climbing harness instead of the usual waist or leg harness.

Tks

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Firewire/Tomo Surfboards
Loyd Surfboards
Brand Affiliation: iKitesurf

Re: Going lighter on foil

Postby Da Yoda » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:05 am

boubou wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:47 pm
Have anyone tested using a climbing harness instead of the usual waist or leg harness.
I saw a guy at our spot sporting one of these harnesses...
https://www.edelrid.de/en/sports/sit-ha ... -lite.html
Wasn't sure how comfortable it was for him, but he was making it work. He was also a minimalist foiler.

gl
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget, Ocean Rodeo Duke

Postby gl » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:17 am

I don't use a climbing harness. I use the ozone Backcountry snowkite harness which is similar to a climbing harness except that it has a larger waist support. It is fairly minimalistic and it doesn't restrict me like a seat harness but the pull goes more on my legs than on my lower back. It's very light and easy to put on I find it great for foiling. I use a carabiner to hook the chicken Loop to the harness although you can hook the chicken Loop directly to the harness Loop.

elguapo
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: cabarete, kanaha
Gear: ..

Postby elguapo » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:23 am

Da Yoda wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:05 am
boubou wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:47 pm
I saw a guy at our spot sporting one of these harnesses...
https://www.edelrid.de/en/sports/sit-ha ... -lite.html
Wasn't sure how comfortable it was for him, but he was making it work. He was also a minimalist foiler.
small world.
that loopo lite was one of my final 2 when looking at minimalist ice climbing harnesses...
(it is available on amazon)

i went with a arc'teryx....primarily because of the adjustable leg loops
definitely has potential...comfortwise...you almost dont know its there (at least with adjustable leg loop version)
unfortunately, i like my mystic seat harness/stealth bar...so i only played with the ice climbing harness a couple times all summer (until the stealth bar arrived) so no clue how it'll hold up in daily salt water use.
(and only tried with heavy duty carabiner..which may be necessary)

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Firewire/Tomo Surfboards
Loyd Surfboards
Brand Affiliation: iKitesurf

Postby Da Yoda » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:31 am

elguapo wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:23 am
definitely has potential...comfortwise...you almost dont know its there (at least with adjustable leg loop version)
unfortunately, i like my mystic seat harness/stealth bar...so i only played with the ice climbing harness a couple times all summer (until the stealth bar arrived) so no clue how it'll hold up in daily salt water use.
If the Arc harness doesn't work out, check out Ozone's Connect BC harness. It's 700 grams, but WAY more supportive...
https://ozonekites.com/products/harness ... y-harness/

elguapo
Frequent Poster

Postby elguapo » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:43 pm

Da Yoda wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:31 am
elguapo wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:23 am
If the Arc harness doesn't work out, check out Ozone's Connect BC harness. It's 700 grams, but WAY more supportive...
https://ozonekites.com/products/harness ... y-harness/

actually i ended up picking up that Loopo Lite. it weighs only 80g and was a LOT more comfortable than expected.
i tried wih a ozone and kiteattitude bar to make sure there nothing interferes with QR.. works fine. (i'll try it with a peak4 neak lightwind session)
climbing harnesses is simply differently engineered seat harnesses (pulls you at you gluts..."support" at your waist is unnecessary for foiling imo)
my biggest question is durability around the sea

but the Loopo Lite...fits in a pocket when packed

:eek

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:16 pm

please write more - if you have longer experience. Especially if you have not some blood circulation issues - etc...
Also what is your normal harness? Seat or waist.

thanks

elguapo
Frequent Poster

Postby elguapo » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:38 pm

tomtom wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:16 pm
please write more - if you have longer experience. Especially if you have not some blood circulation issues - etc...
Also what is your normal harness? Seat or waist.

thanks
i use a mystic seat harness attached to the steath (rope) bar.

i've also climbed(in a gym) much longer than i've been kiting.. never had any type issues wearing a harness for hours(and they are much more comfy to me than any kite harness i've found)

imo, there is nothing comparable to quality of a arc'teryx or mammoth(for example) in the kiting industry... they make good stuff.
many of the things we use in kiting...were "borrowed" from other sports.
is ok.

i'm not doing any megaloops on a foil(actually..not much kite power is needed if using today's bigger wings )...i just need something to keep me securely and comfortably attached to my kite...and does not interfere with my ability to quickly detach from that kite.

my only question is that we often kite in a corrosive environments (harsh salt water)
the loopo ,at least (i believe), is made from the same material as kite lines.....so we'll see
Last edited by elguapo on Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:00 pm

I've tried using a climbing harness and didn't like it. Without the spreader bar, the harness tried to push your hips together, and it gets uncomfortable over time. Climbing harnesses are meant to be used for seconds or minutes at a time. If you are really underpowered on a foil it is probably fine, especially if you have a wetsuit on. Boardshort harnesses with a hookless spreader bar are pretty minimalist and a lot more comfortable if the wind picks up.
These users thanked the author tmcfarla for the post:
elguapo (Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:29 pm)
Rating: 10%

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:05 pm

Many thanks for opionion. Im using waist harness. I guess i must try it to really know. I will be not affraid at all for corrosion. Only metal things can be problem. Plastic is fine.

Return to “Kitesurfing”