Forum for kitesurfers
ichabod
Medium Poster
Gear: kite, strings, short wooden plank
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Questions on Mystic Stealth bar..

Postby ichabod » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:03 am

To be Honest I would expect some level of safety testing to be done on harnesses and chicken loops and a very visible warning given if certain combinations are dangerous. Case in point is the metal D loop on the J Dynabar. Seen deathloops happen with the chicken loop jammed in that before.
These users thanked the author ichabod for the post:
zlatko23 (Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:28 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

zlatko23
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 70
Favorite Beaches: Keros(Limnos)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter 5m², Ozone Enduro V3 7/11m²&V4 9m², CrazyFly Raptor LTD, Appletree Malus Domestica 5'1"

Postby zlatko23 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:29 pm

@ichabod
You are completely right! I don't know if there is a Mystic rep here who can give info or directly ask Mystic for some recommendations and safety testing results.

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2

Postby BudhaNl » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:16 pm

I was concerned about this as well, using a Naish bar with a pretty thick chickenloop. So the shop where I bought it sent an extra Mystic ring with the purchase, and I have fitted that to the short rope. The ring is the same as the one on the long rope.

Makes for a festive triangle sound when walking to the beach :)

ichabod
Medium Poster
Gear: kite, strings, short wooden plank
Has thanked: 0

Postby ichabod » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:50 pm

Ok that brings me on to yet another safety issue... using a thin metal ring on a regular chicken loop means that the pressure is concentrated in a point load and the whole loop is deformed and almost folded in half. On a normal metal harness hook this happens a bit but the load is spread across two points so the angles are not as acute. This sharp angle and high load could allow the plastic outer to wear the inner rope. I've had a CL snap on me an guess this may have been the reason.

zlatko23
Medium Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter 5m², Ozone Enduro V3 7/11m²&V4 9m², CrazyFly Raptor LTD, Appletree Malus Domestica 5'1"

Postby zlatko23 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:00 pm

@ichabod
I also have the same concern, that is why I use a Wichard FRX20 low friction ring(https://marine.wichard.com/fiche-A%7CWI ... 00-ME.html) on my Clickerbar 4.0. Cabrinha bar CL fits like a glove in the outer groove, never slips out occasionally but when released under tension shoots away as expected. No wear and tear on the CL itself, none to minimal on rope.
Here is what it look like:
2019-08-15 19.28.22.jpg
RE 2018 S, Clickerbar 4.0 M

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Postby Tony » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:17 pm

I also use the low friction rings on my slider, Antal, in my case. Had to bump up the ring size for the blocky Ozone CL, pretty big. I have a Pintxo bar on order with the wichard shackle and hope to have it by the end of the month. When that arrives I expect that I'll have the shackle fixed on the short rope and just leave it there, not worry about the slider. Otherwise I'll need to come up with a quicker method for change-over.

mar menor
Frequent Poster
Weight: 70kgs
Local Beach: Mar Menor - los narejos ,la llana, Cabo de palos
Favorite Beaches: Calblanque, El Pinet
Gear: Ozone Alpha V2 10m,PLKB Ozone Alpha v1 8m,PLKB Synergy and Swell 8m & 6m
Boards-Groove skate and moses 633 and 679,north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Ozone ,PLKB,Prolimit

Postby mar menor » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:59 pm

Tony,am also getting a Pintxo.Thinking about attaching wichard to sliding rope but then if wanting a 'fixed' position pushing it through small rope?

Tony
Frequent Poster
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Postby Tony » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:15 pm

mar menor wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:59 pm
Tony,am also getting a Pintxo.Thinking about attaching wichard to sliding rope but then if wanting a 'fixed' position pushing it through small rope?
That would be ideal if it fits. I was thinking the wichard would be too big but maybe not. The ring needs to be forced. I guess you could switch the short rope for one slightly longer??

zlatko23
Medium Poster

Postby zlatko23 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:00 pm

Just got my Stealthbar 280mm - fits me perfectly with my RE harness(size S). My waist is 75-77cm. Lengthwise the plastic spreader bar itself(between harness straps attach points) is same size as Mystic Clickerbar 4.0 surf size M. The "stealth wings"(flaps) are a bit on the longer/wider side for size S RE harness, but still fit in nevertheless. The bar is lighter and I have more locked in feeling, seems this combination can not ride up at all! :) Yet to test it on water. I will check the option of adding a hook, should I ever want to go back to it. Will post some pictures later if anybody interested.
I wanted to add low friction ring, but after disassembling the bar I am not sure I will be able to make knots on rope again as these are tight and the excess rope is cut off. I will first order replacement rope kit and then try it.

PS. Found this: https://www.mysticboarding.com/howto tutorial on Mystic web site, was linked on the bar label :)

Here is a photo how it looks, really clean package.
Attachments
2019-08-20 18.18.50.jpg
RideEngine S, Mystic Stealthbar 280mm
These users thanked the author zlatko23 for the post:
SENDIT! (Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:11 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Eckhardt
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ijmuiden, wijk aan zee
Style: Big air and rookie waverider
Gear: Ozone edge 11 and 8
Bandit S 9m

Postby Eckhardt » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:34 pm

Anyone who has any experience with a hook and rope at the same time? Will that be possible or will the hoop interfer with the rope? I tried to Google it but couldnt find much info

Return to “Kitesurfing”