Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Which kite shape generates more pull in turns

Forum for kitesurfers
HALF
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 94
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2
Airush Switch 144, Naish Monarch 138, Naish Monarch 136, Airush Slayer v2

Which kite shape generates more pull in turns

Postby HALF » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:37 pm

I like feeling powered all the time, so i like when the kite has nice steady pull while turning, what kite shape should i look for? Some kites turn fast, but the pull feels almost on/off when the kite is traveling straight and when turning.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Which kite shape generates more pull in turns

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:02 pm

That would be a "C" kite like the Naish Torch, Airush Razor or North Vegas... when nicely lit up these kites will deliver constant power in most parts of the wind window.
These users thanked the author BillyGoatGruff for the post:
HALF (Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:45 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

HALF
Frequent Poster
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2

Postby HALF » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:38 pm

So if I don't want a complete C kite, (as they supposedly have less range) i should be looking at more C shaped hybrids, for example Core GTS?

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:47 pm

BillyGoatGruff wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:02 pm
That would be a "C" kite like ...
Do note that they are generally considered very unfriendly to beginning kiters.
Relaunch is more difficult and any steering mistake usually has bigger, more powerful, consequences.
They require lots of technique and are mostly used for wakestyle kind of tricks by very experienced riders.

That you are asking this question would suggest to me that a c type (hybrid) kite is probably not the best choice at the moment.

However if you want to go for a new kite I would foremost check what riding style you like (to progress in) when deciding on a kite.
For most people an allround kite would be a good compromise but you can go to more specific types of kites if you really know what you want to get in to and not spend much time on other types of riding.
(Freeride/freestyle/foil/wave/wakestyle )

One more thing: Perceived turning pull might also be related to ride technique.
eg going downwind to much when turning will remove power from any kite.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:55 pm

HALF wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:37 pm
I like feeling powered all the time, so i like when the kite has nice steady pull while turning, what kite shape should i look for? Some kites turn fast, but the pull feels almost on/off when the kite is traveling straight and when turning.
You might want to check out something like the dash. It is fast and predictable. You do not really specify what type of use you are thinking of...like the pivot I have has super steady pull even in gusty conditions. You can spike it or you can ditch the power while turning, but not thought of traditionally as a kite that generates pull in turns. C-kites will generate more pull while turning. For instance when you loop a c kite with power it'll try to pull you way down wind.
A lot of steady pull is how you handle the kite too, so you might want to start there.

SWO_kite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Belle River, Ontario, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Yes
Style: Foil/Freeride/Big air
Gear: 11m Reedin SM V2, 8m & 6m SS Raptor
128 Shinn Sunburner + 75 AL-mast + K wing
140 Best Spark, 133 Cabrinha Caliber

Postby SWO_kite » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:55 pm

Do note that they are generally considered very unfriendly to beginning kiters.
Relaunch is more difficult and any steering mistake usually has bigger, more powerful, consequences.
They require lots of technique and are mostly used for wakestyle kind of tricks by very experienced riders.

That you are asking this question would suggest to me that a c type (hybrid) kite is probably not the best choice at the moment.
Why discourage a new rider from a kite style just because it's used by advanced riders? All aspects of kiting need to be learned at some point or another, whether it's at 2 years or 5 years, advanced riding needs to be learned. If a rider is dedicated, they'll find a way to make it work. And if they can't, they'll move on to another kite(or board) they feel will be a better 'fit'. You really don't know if you like something if you never try it.

Perhaps OP would enjoy a surf style kite. They can pull like a truck have tight and very quick turning speed, minimizing the time feeling 'underpowered'.

EDIT: It seems I messed up the quote feature..Oops
EDIT EDIT: I fixed it...Awesome
Last edited by SWO_kite on Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:57 pm

I'm with Billygoat and personally think all the C kite warnings are a little overblown. They are not going to kill you and flying them is really no big deal. I've had a few in my quiver for going on a decade and really enjoy their predictable power generation while cornering. If your really spooked look for a bridled C kite like the C4 or the Dice. As to range. Any of the modern C kites have plenty of depower for free riding and are likely a great fit for someone who likes feeling powered.

HALF
Frequent Poster

Postby HALF » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:50 pm

I wanna test ride several types of kites, but first I wanted to see what theoretically should be the type that I am looking for.
I ride usually the FS Soul 15m (14-19kn), that pulls like a truck, and I love it. I wanna find something faster that still pulls hard all the time.

I will try the dice for sure, also the vegas if it is available to test locally.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:11 am

Pretty different animal than the FS Soul. I haven't been on a foil kite in a Looooong time, but they use braking to turn and generally still produce their best power the faster they move in a straight line. C shaped LEI's can be made to produce more power when they are turning than when they are flying straight, as in you can always make them produce more power by sining or looping them. Knowing that you are talking about such different kites, it might not be something that you enjoy or appreciate immediately unless you are already pretty comfortable with LEI kites.

In general the flatter the kite, the more it will generate it's power with apparent wind while flying in a straight line, and the more they will drop power generation while turning, the tighter the turn the more power loss. The more C shaped the canopy, the more there will be regions of the canopy still generating power while the kite turns. The faster you can make the kite turn, the more power you can get out of it.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:02 am

HALF wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:50 pm
I wanna test ride several types of kites, but first I wanted to see what theoretically should be the type that I am looking for.
Absolutely good idea! Go and rent something or maybe you can make a deal with a shop that you try out a few of their kites and then buy one of those.
Make sure to ride in the conditions you would normally see!
Adding gusts/flat water/chop/waves/currents can make for quite a different experience for each of the kite types.

Also I want to stress that turning power is just one aspect of a kite and it will affect other properties.
The more it excels at one area the more compromises are made at the other aspects.
Wind range, how it handles gusts / ride comfort, direct feel, hang-time when jumping, relaunch, drift etc.

Which brings me back to the point that you have not really told what kind of riding style you are looking for.
And without that I am afraid you might end up with a kite that does not fit your riding style except for mowing the lawn and turning.
I assume you (want to) buy a kite for other things then mowing the lawn left/right and doing turns.
Yes, you can do anything with any kite up to a point.
However it will slow your progress and decrease ride comfort if you are out with the wrong type of kite.
You might be spending a lot of time to adopt/learn techniques that you don't actually need for the tricks or things you want to do.

To do a car analogy:
You are looking for a car that corners fast.
Now people say: have a look at a formula 1 car (c-kite), they are the fastest cornering cars out there!
That is certainly true but only in the right hands and in the right conditions on a racetrack (no gusts, flat water).
In reality 99% of the people would be faster around the track in something less extreme that can handle some bumps in a road and seat a second person like a road-legal Ferrari (Hybrid-C).

But most people will be looking for that can do nice cornering on tarmac and dirt tracks and can haul the whole family and caravan if needed, maybe a rally type car e.g. a Subaru Impreza (Allround kite).
Or a something that can do offroading very nicely, seats lots of people and can pull anything if needed with great comfort, maybe a big SUV like a Toyota Highlander? (Freeride kite)

As you can imagine I would easily recommend an offroad capable fast family saloon or maybe a SUV to anyone without knowing much about their situation.
It will work most of the time and most people won't even be able to get to the limits off their car.
A formula one car or Ferrari sounds nice but might just not be practical or comfortable enough for most of the people.

Return to “Kitesurfing”