Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: “That guy is dangerous”

Postby Frank82 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:45 am

prop_joe wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:46 pm
Without sounding to cliche it's the guys that show up with all the shiny new safety gear and brimming with Youtube knowledge that I keep an eye on, 2mins on the water is usually enough too see how much of a birth you need to give them.
This, these are the real dangerous 'kiters', we see loads of them in the summer, usually from other countries. Checklist: sunglasses (for on the water), impact vest, gloves, wetsuit booties, hood (in summer, wtf), helmet, seat harness, GoJoe, board leash. The more of the items are checked the more dangerous they are.
These users thanked the author Frank82 for the post:
andrzej351 (Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:54 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Re: That guy is dangerous

Postby Exal » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:13 pm

Frank82 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:45 am
This, these are the real dangerous 'kiters', we see loads of them in the summer, usually from other countries. Checklist: sunglasses (for on the water), impact vest, gloves, wetsuit booties, hood (in summer, wtf), helmet, seat harness, GoJoe, board leash. The more of the items are checked the more dangerous they are.
The hell is that checklist. Since you are in the netherlands all you have to check for is if it is a core kite or not :rollgrin:
These users thanked the author Exal for the post:
Eckhardt (Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:39 pm)

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Frank82 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:37 pm

Exal wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:13 pm
Frank82 wrote:
The hell is that checklist. Since you are in the netherlands all you have to check for is if it is a core kite or not :rollgrin:
Haha yeah but some of my buddies ride core and they don't check any of the other boxes 😅.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:39 pm

Right, board leashes are dangerous!

P.S. first death from blood loss caused by hydrofoil blade slice hasn’t happened yet but once it happens it will cause quite a sh!tstorm on the forum

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:22 pm

i wear a helmet...and sunglasses...and often a facemask and/or hood. (sun damage yo)
...and impact vest. (and a back-up floatation)
..and seat harness
...and wetsuit with booties
but no board leash or gojoe(not sure what that is)

so yes... please give me as wiiiiiiiiide a berth as possible.
especially on at the reef.. ideally just leave the area when kooks like me arrive (thanks)

i dont want to post his video (since he appears to use his real name on his channel)
..but there is a dude on youtube that makes me think he is intentionally trying to kill/harm himself kiting (kite...and land boarding)

to me...looks like it is just matter of time before he seriously hurts himself....
no danger to others.....just himself.

what do you do?

(i looked...and he hasnt posted a video in over a month..i actually worry about the dude now)
These users thanked the author elguapo for the post:
Mossy 757 (Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:23 pm)

gozokiteboarding
Medium Poster
Local Beach: fort pierce jetty
Favorite Beaches: fort pierce inlet
hatterass and the florida keys, cozumel
Style: wake
Gear: Eclipse 8m,10m, 12m, thruster and 12m kima
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse team rider

Postby gozokiteboarding » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:47 pm

kitelife wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:36 am
Overheard these words explaining a skilled kiter kitelooping near the beach/launch. Just curious how others define a “dangerous” kiter.
Anyone who disagrees with you, or uses a brand you don't use are extremely dangerous

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:24 pm

Frank82 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:37 pm
Haha yeah but some of my buddies ride core and they don't check any of the other boxes 😅.
It is just funny, just browsing through insta I found another gem of core dominance. I understand it is hard when you meet another core rider, since core always has right of way :lol:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1JuO65nh4s/

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:46 pm

I'm pretty harmless till the cameras are pointed my way.
These users thanked the author pj sofine for the post:
Toby (Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:11 pm)

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:01 pm

prop_joe wrote:
....Without sounding to cliche it's the guys that show up with all the shiny new safety gear and brimming with Youtube knowledge that I keep an eye on, 2mins on the water is usually enough too see how much of a birth you need to give them.
Frank82 wrote:
Actively discouraging the use of safety equipment is an indication of the exact kind of attitude that gets you killed, other kiters injured, endangers rescue crews, and results in kiteboarding bans.

Just because you desperately want to look cool, does not mean you should shame others for being brave enough to be seen wearing safety gear. This type of shaming is definitely outing both of you as insecure with your skills.

There is a time and place for debate on the benefits of safety gear. But when some one chooses to use safety gear that possibly makes them look less "cool", what would you possibly gain by making them feeling ashamed for using it?.........maybe I just answered my own question.
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
Mossy 757 (Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:26 pm)

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:29 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:01 pm
prop_joe wrote:
....Without sounding to cliche it's the guys that show up with all the shiny new safety gear and brimming with Youtube knowledge that I keep an eye on, 2mins on the water is usually enough too see how much of a birth you need to give them.
Frank82 wrote:
Actively discouraging the use of safety equipment is an indication of the exact kind of attitude that gets you killed, other kiters injured, endangers rescue crews, and results in kiteboarding bans.

Just because you desperately want to look cool, does not mean you should shame others for being brave enough to be seen wearing safety gear. This type of shaming is definitely outing both of you as insecure with your skills.

There is a time and place for debate on the benefits of safety gear. But when some one chooses to use safety gear that possibly makes them look less "cool", what would you possibly gain by making them feeling ashamed for using it?.........maybe I just answered my own question.

I think some of this is on the brands as well. Imagine if car companies only showed people driving without seatbelts or driving mildly drunk, or if motorcycle companies showed riders without helmets and their headlights off at night. It seems irresponsible to have 100% of your marketing videos show people in nothing but board shorts and a harness and then include a safety pamphlet with the kite disclaiming all risk from your brand and recommending that riders use safety equipment and take lessons. Like...why wasn't the pro you guys filmed for the commercial wearing a life jacket? Every small sailboat company on Earth shows sailors wearing PFDs, why is kiting exempted from this standard?

Return to “Kitesurfing”