2014 Rebel 5m and 8m
OR 17M Flite
OR Duke
Cabrinha Phenom 5'8
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

4m SST Taco job

Postby atomic-chomik » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:23 am

So i picked up a basically new 4m SST for foiling a few weeks back ?and have had some really fun foils with it. However, the kite deforms and taco's under heavy load and real fast shots through the window. I did fix a leak and it has made i better, but even at 10plus psi it still deforms. Using a low v bar/line but its wider- can this affect the kite in such a manner? Is it to be expected as i am 200 pounds wet and the kite is so small? What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

M

GregK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Freeride
Brand Affiliation: Comox Kite Repair
http://www.comoxkiterepair.ca

Re: 4m SST Taco job

Postby GregK » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:36 am

From pics on the web, it's a fixed / pulleyless bridle, so the buckling must be happening at the kite's centre between L & R sides of the bridle.

Pumping to a higher pressure will increase the kite's tolerance to high bending loads and extend the onset of buckling.

Generating lift ( pull ) from the kite by moving it around the wind window rapidly at moderate bar sheeting ( lower angle-of-attack, higher wind-speed over the kite, Centre of Effort closer the the LE, reducing the bending moment loading on the LE ) rather than slower kite movements with the bar fully sheeted in ( higher AoA, CoE moves aft, increasing the bending moment load on the LE ).

Will probably take a little getting used to flying a small kite around like a squirrel on cocaine, but like anything you'll get used to it, then go back to flying a 10 or a 12m and you'll think wow, this kite is sooo slow.
Last edited by GregK on Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DAnderson
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: SWFL
Gear: red T-38, 633, 720, 637, 590, 483, 420, 330
12m soul, 12/9/7 sst, 9/7/5 turbine

Postby DAnderson » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:22 pm

I have a 5m sst which can suffer the same thing, also ~200#. I depower it 1/2 way rigged w/ an older bar & solves the issue. Line lengths uneven perhaps.

atomic-chomik
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 4
Local Beach: The wild west
Style: Freeride/Surf
Gear: North Dice 8 and 10m
North Neo 12m
OR Prodigy 7m
OR Prodigy 9.5.
OR Prodigy 12m
2014 Rebel 5m and 8m
OR 17M Flite
OR Duke
Cabrinha Phenom 5'8

Postby atomic-chomik » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:39 pm

Sounds like its a kite issue I guess. I checked my lines a couple of times and have been doing the same depower trick to mitigate the issue. I was hoping it would be my high wind kite but it sounds like I made a bad buy.

oregonkiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Hood River
Style: foil
Gear: Slingshot 633/590/DC36/SST

Postby oregonkiter » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:15 pm

I'm about your size and also ride the 4m in high winds. My first few minutes every time I ride that kite I end up wishing I was on a 5 depowered instead.... Then, I adjust my body position and dial in. I am only foiling on it. I use it once wind averages 27 mph, or more.

1. Pump it up ROCK HARD--as in last two strokes are body weight onto pump
2. Be sure to tune on the beach such that rear lines are a tad longer than fronts with bar all the way in
3. You will have to ride in a more vertical stance. There simply is not enough structure to heel over and lean hard against the kite if you are a bigger rider. Less of an issue on foil, but if you are riding a surfboard that's a bigger adjustment.

For me, the purpose of the 4m is to get me out in high winds to play on swell and I try and let my foil do the heavy lifting.

MaximumAC
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay, Assateague MD
Style: Foil; Freestyle
Gear: North Rebel/Neo; Flysurfer Soul and Peak4; Slingshot and Moses foils

Postby MaximumAC » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:17 pm

GregK wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:36 am
.....like a squirrel on cocaine
Too good!!!

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:27 am

Not all 4m buckle or do stupid things; my Section1 4m is rock solid, even though it has very thin LE, and I'm using it with SB which takes more power, but on waves the depower is very much needed, but it needs a lot of wind. You may find these on sale, and perhaps 5 would suit you well, just a thought.

atomic-chomik
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 4
Local Beach: The wild west
Style: Freeride/Surf
Gear: North Dice 8 and 10m
North Neo 12m
OR Prodigy 7m
OR Prodigy 9.5.
OR Prodigy 12m
2014 Rebel 5m and 8m
OR 17M Flite
OR Duke
Cabrinha Phenom 5'8

Postby atomic-chomik » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:56 pm

Great feedback, thanks guys. I have indeed put all the suggestions into play (riding vertical, tuning bar, pumping hard, flying depowered, etc) and am able to use the kite. I guess I wanted to see if anyone else had these issues or whether I got an improperly bridled kite which has happened before. I really like the way it flies other than that, amazing drift factor and slack line turning that is truly a wonder. Sadly for me, I was going to use it for our upcoming storm season where winds range into the cold temp 30-40 knot range(term "Dread-knot" by a local fella) and it just wont work like I need if its folding under loads.

oregonkiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Hood River
Style: foil
Gear: Slingshot 633/590/DC36/SST

Postby oregonkiter » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:03 pm

At your size I do not think 4m will work well for a twin tip, or directional board. Foil yes. The smallest I ever used on my directional was the SST 5m, which is a brilliant kite, and even then I waited for spray off of the whitecaps. Otherwise I rode the 6m SST up to about 34 /35 mph average and depowered it a few inches--still turns! I tried a 4m on a surfboard and had the same experience you are having.

Return to “Kitesurfing”