Forum for kitesurfers
ridetimeless
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: North Orbit - iksurfmag less than glowing review

Postby ridetimeless » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:53 pm

my vegas does the same if I go too downwind when landing the jump without relaunching enoug
Any kite does the same when there is slack in the lines and wind catches it up

luca
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby luca » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:54 pm

And there was no wind behind the Dune.

Had some great feedback now from different friends that tried the Orbit. All are really good kiters and they find the Orbit excellent like a better switchblade.
In the german KITE Magazine there is a very good test too. Important is to pump up the kite with the recommend PSI.

HALF
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Gear: 12m Cabrinha Convert(2010), 9m Flysurfer Speed5(2017), 15m Flysurfer Soul(2018), 19m Spleene X(2010)

Postby HALF » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:39 am

I tried it along with 2 friends, it was nicely powered however there was some flapping when gusts hit that was annoying, they were trying to jump but they were getting only 50m height...

Or not, I didn't test it in reality but I wouldn't believe anything written here until I test it myself or know a guy in real life who can vouch for it, North are a big company and if they are not paying for good reviews they would be stupid.

PinkNorthPride
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Calshot
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Mauritius
Silver Sands Barbados
Nyali Kenya
Dougs the Gorge
Style: Lawn Mowing
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: North, Maybe Core next...

Postby PinkNorthPride » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:09 pm

Iksurfmag are well known to be in hock to Boards & More, so on the one hand you can't put too much stock in what they're saying, but... there were not good noises coming from the distributor meeting where rumour had it there was an agreement some 'adjustments' had to be made before release due to excessive 'vibration' if you released the power and an element of the aoa not adjusting 'appropriately'. Suck it and see would appear to be the best advice.

Herman
Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:18 pm

Not so long ago I bought an angle grinder, it is a very nice tool, much more refined then the ones I used as a youth. Some reviewer had assured the world that this tool was absolutely useless as it just blew dust into his face. Obviously he had the front handle in the wrong port and he was holding the grinder the wrong way round for the job. For f*#k sake!

I am not saying the above is relevant to this case I have no data, but I have flown kites in the past that have received bad reviews that to me were good, they just needed familiarisation and/or some tuning.

Trying out gear is obviously beneficial but in truth it would take me more than one session to really know how much I am going to like a board or kite. First Impressions are useful but i dare say the best reviews come from objective riders you have had a decent amount of TOW with the gear in question.

I felt for the designer and manufacturer of the angle grinder, it must have been incredibly annoying to see such an inappropriate review! I hope it did not affect their livelihood!
Last edited by Herman on Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bigwave
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Airush, Flysurfer
Boards: DSD Intel,Moses
Harnesses: Mystic
Wetsuits: Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:52 pm

PNWKiter wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:13 pm
I had the opportunity to try this kite at AWSI in Hood River this past week. Maybe I had set my expectations too high, but I was expecting a rock solid boosting kite like the Cabrinha Switchblade or Duotone Rebel. Instead I experienced a kite with very light bar pressure and an unstable feel in the unruly Gorge winds. The kite did loop quickly though... Most of the feedback on the beach was that the new North kites have a tendency to backstall in the lulls and have stability issues in the gusts, the wave kite they have was nearly un-flyable. The freestyle kite they would not even let people test... There was a youtube video of these flying characteristics shown at a demo in the UK, but it appears it has been deleted.

Normally when I read a comment like the one above I just laugh and move on to more intelligent posts about the subject. Unfortunately, I can’t let this one slide. I had the opportunity to try the North Products at the AWSI event in Hood River.
I used both the Orbit and Carve multiple times. I rode the Orbit 9m with a TT. Medium bar pressure, perfect turning speed and excellent control in the gusty winds. Very impressive hang time. The Carve was very impressive! I used the 7m on foil and the 7 and 9m with a Surfboard. Again , like the orbit , great power control in the gusty winds. I was a little concerned on foil with 7m being very powered but it was super controlled with half trim.
The most impressive feature I though was how well the kites flew right out of the bag. I felt comfortable within minutes flying the kites. Any back stalling I experienced in Hood River was a product of the conditions that affected every brand of kite that I tried.
The best advice I can offer is try the North Kites and products for your self. Then you can decide if it’s something you would want.

luca
Medium Poster

Postby luca » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:14 pm

Tested the 9m Orbit in gusty 30 knots now. Awesome kite that is a gust eater. Perfect bar feedback and turning speed. It’s a blast to ride with it. The bar is really cool too. If you have the possibility test the kite.

Teabageppo
Frequent Poster
Style: Air style - Freeride
Gear: Rebel 10m 2017, nobile carbon NHP 2017, north nugget 2015.

Postby Teabageppo » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:34 am

compared to what?

Have you bought this kite?

luca
Medium Poster

Postby luca » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:41 am

Yes. I have 7,9,12 Orbit and 6,8,10,12 Bandit 2019.
Compared to Bandit the Orbit is more stable in higher wind, jumping and especially hangtime is much better.
Lowend needs to be tested.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:14 am

Return to “Kitesurfing”