Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

13m 3 Strut for Foiling & Twin Tip Free Riding?

Forum for kitesurfers
Iridian
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dewey, Assateague, OBX
Favorite Beaches: Mauritania
Style: Free Style
Gear: Slingshot, Crazyfly, RE, Ocean Rodeo, Liquid Force
Brand Affiliation: None

13m 3 Strut for Foiling & Twin Tip Free Riding?

Postby Iridian » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:28 pm

I'm thinking of purchasing a cabrinha contra to go with my 10m. I think at the point where I'd go much bigger than a 13m on a twin tip, it'd be more fun to foil anyway. The hope is that the Contra or a similar traditional 3 strut light wind kite would be light enough to foil but stable enough for twin tip riding while still not too big as to be overpowered in the wind where it'd still be light enough to stay in the air?

I was also thinking about a 14m but I think the 40% power increase might be a bit too big of a gap from my 10m and that might be too much power on a foil?

I'm 95 kg.

Tl;dr:

* Is a 14m to 10m too big a gap?
* Is a 13m Light Wind 3 Strut light enough to foil with?
* Is a 14m Light Wind 3 Strut too much power for foiling? Or will it be too heavy up until it's overpowering?

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Re: 13m 3 Strut for Foiling & Twin Tip Free Riding?

Postby Topaz » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:20 pm

* Is a 14m to 10m too big a gap?
I don't think so. You can benefit from a 3m gap, but 10-14 is perfectly doable.

* Is a 13m Light Wind 3 Strut light enough to foil with?
On what wind? At 95kg You'd be perfect around 12knots, and probably fine around 10knots. Not sure about high end.

* Is a 14m Light Wind 3 Strut too much power for foiling? Or will it be too heavy up until it's overpowering?
I don't think It will be too powerful. Many people out there foiling on 14m's switchblades and rebels which are heavier kites.
It'll probably give you a narrower wind range than the 13m, since the low end will be about the same, but you'll be overpowered a bit earlier.

I'd go 10-13m, which is also good for twin tip riding.

Iridian
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dewey, Assateague, OBX
Favorite Beaches: Mauritania
Style: Free Style
Gear: Slingshot, Crazyfly, RE, Ocean Rodeo, Liquid Force

Postby Iridian » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:38 pm

What do you think of either a 13m turbine or contra?

I'm not sure how well they would manage foiling?

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Postby Topaz » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:57 am

No. I don't know much about those kites. I've demoed the Contra 15m for a twin tip session and I liked it for free ride. I guess it'll keep you in the water, nice depower and easy to relaunch. Probably not a great booster on the twin tip.

The turbine has 5 struts, doesn't it? It may be heavier. I wonder how it would perform in 10 knots.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:10 pm

Iridian wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:38 pm
What do you think of either a 13m turbine or contra?

I'm not sure how well they would manage foiling?

They can be used for foiling.

Perfect when you learn as more wind needed :D

But when you HAVE learned, they will still work, but you will avoid using them (no matter which you get of above two), as they can barely hang and will drop often, and be a PITA in general, when it is 8-9 knots which will be your lowend with experience and 95 kg on a big wing.

Just so you know, it can just work, but not very good, they are too heavy for foiling :roll:

I am only 78 kg, and a "normal" kite can work up to 9 m2 on a foil for me, but with 10 m2 kite needs to be quite light, and in 12 m2 I can only use strutless or onestruts with similar extreme low weight, riding down to 7 knots.

You need a bit more wind with 95 kg, so can get away with a heavier kite of course, but trust me, you will swear a lot when you try to get out in dead onshore wind and your kite drops again´and again, if a "normal" kite.

If you think you will only foil occasionally in good conditions, not too onshore and quite some wind 9 knots and up, it might work :rollgrin:

8) Peter

Si_B
Medium Poster

Postby Si_B » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:30 pm

I’m 105kg and have recently got into foiling. My biggest kite is now a 12m Ozone Alpha and I can get going in 10-12 knots on that. Never flown a Contra and I’ve only had a big 17 Turbine for twin tipping but I sold my 12m and 14m Rally and the big turbine as they are just too heavy in the lulls and just very grunty when you get a gust.

I’m not convinced about the Alpha and being on a twin tip yet but I’ve only had a few sessions and it’s a very different kite to my Rally’s.

Light weight is definitely your friend when foiling.

Simon

Return to “Kitesurfing”