Switch Element 14m
Ozone catalyst 10m
Naish haze 144 x 45
SU2 Bigfoot 145 x45
Brand Affiliation: None

Newbie Board questions

Postby fatkiter » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:13 pm

Greetings to all

As the username suggest I am a fat guy trying t kite:)

To be exact I am almost 120 kg and 198 cm height and not very athletic in general but I am absolutely in love with kiteboarding so really eager to learn...

I am at the stage that I can ride down- wind and trying to go up-wind

Question is about board sizes.

I have a 17m Ozone zephyr kite and up to now I was using a board from the local kite school (fly door) with dimensions if I am not wrong 170 *50 (hudge board)

Recently a friend gave me an old Naish Haze board (144 X 45)

After only one session with the board I was able to do a bit better going up wind than with the hudge one from the school (in similar low wind conditions)

I am reading everywhere that the larger the board the better and I am getting a bit confused

In order not to waist time (summer is finishing) what would you recommend? Use the larger board until I can go up-wind constantly or try with the smaller board?

I quests my question is also related to what board a guy my size will be using after he becomes efficient enough??

Sorry for the long post:)

Thanks

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Re: Newbie Board questions

Postby iriejohn » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:37 pm

Simple answer is to use whichever board you progress fastest with.
These users thanked the author iriejohn for the post:
fatkiter (Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:25 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

coupdevill
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hood River
Favorite Beaches: Hood River, Hatteras, SPI
Style: Chaotic
Gear: Slingshot & Ride Engine
Has thanked: 0

Postby coupdevill » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:41 pm

159ish for your 17-13/12m the 146ish for 11-8m

coup
These users thanked the author coupdevill for the post:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:46 pm

can you use both? or have to decide for one?
if both, take both to the beach and give each 30 min...see your progression...until you found out when to use what.
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:18 pm

Not all boards are created equal some go better upwind than others but the technique and kite also make a huge difference. If you are over powered with the large board it may be hard to edge it and you get dragged downwind. Normally the large door should do better for very light wind like 8 to 15 knots after that the smaller one should be better the smaller board will be more comfortable in the chop and easier to edge.
These users thanked the author Windigo1 for the post:

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:49 pm

Windigo1 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:18 pm
Not all boards are created equal some go better upwind than others but the technique and kite also make a huge difference. If you are over powered with the large board it may be hard to edge it and you get dragged downwind. Normally the large door should do better for very light wind like 8 to 15 knots after that the smaller one should be better the smaller board will be more comfortable in the chop and easier to edge.
+1. Exactly this.

If you are powered up on your 17 m kite, then you'll have more fun and make more progress on the smaller board, which sounds like a good size for you. I am not a fan of "door boards", but you can fall back on one in light wind if needed to save your session. As you progress, you will appreciate the lighter, more nimble feel of a smaller board, which won't limit your movements like a door. Sounds like you're doing well, so keep having fun with it. :thumb:
These users thanked the author FLandOBX for the post:

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:28 pm

I´m 198 and 100kg+ myself.

Generally speaking I think 100kg+ beginners are often given too small boards. An instructor at 75kg often do not have much of a clue how it feels to ride at 100kg+. In other words, I´m all for big boards, but there is a limit.

I have never been on anything close to 170x50. How do you edge such a thing?

144 x 45 is big. My old board was 142 x 42 and I learned on that one. That was slightly too small so 144 x 45 sounds good to me. I would go with that one even if I don´t know that specific board at all.

Two things to remember. It is not only about the size. A friend of mine had a similar sized board as me, but his was newer and easier to go upwind with. The second thing is bigger kites are generally speaking more difficult to go upwind with. On a 9m in solid wind going upwind is easy. On a 17m it can be quite a lot trickier. If you got too much power edging against the kite is a lot tougher than when you are on a 9m. Limited amount of power and going upwind is always tricky.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
fatkiter (Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:26 pm)

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:09 am

Technique is very important. If the kite is low aspect and you oversheet for more power, it is harder to go upwind. Try sheeting out to get the kite to fly at the edge ot the wind window. That may hrlp you point upwind better. Also, turn your body so you are looking more upwind. Where you look is where you will go. With more experience you will improve your technique.
These users thanked the author JakeFarley for the post:

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:50 am

At your weight I am a little surprised that you are going better on the smaller board. Just be aware that monster doors are likely to be set up for heel side riding in low wind. For a average weight person this will be with the straps mounted well to the heel side of the centre line. If this is the case when you jump on it you will be over edging and unbalanced.

See if you can mount the straps nearer to the centre line and give it another try. But if you stil lhaving more joy on the smaller board stick with it. The monster door should just need a little less kite power but the board itself will be a little harder to control.

My large TT (which does not just mean light wind) is 143x48 and I am around 200lb. It is set up with heel side bias and is therefore rubbish for toeside.
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:04 am

Bare in mind that the OP is using a 17m Ozone Zephyr (with the supplied 27m lines I'd guess).

I am 81kg and have a Zephyr V5 which I currently use with my Lieuwe Shotgun 136 x 40.5.

From 12 knots upwards I am powered up with the Zephyr flying far forward in the window so going upwind is not a problem, and in 17-18 knots I'm nuking. To be honest, I'd then rather be on my 12m Ozone Enduro V2 but I still have some trim left!

So I am not at all surprised that the OP prefers the 144 x 45 board.
These users thanked the author iriejohn for the post:

Return to “Kitesurfing”