Naish haze 144 x 45
SU2 Bigfoot 145 x45
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Newbie Board questions

Postby fatkiter » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:31 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:35 pm
1.98m/6'6" and 120kg with US size 15 feet? A midget you are not! ;-)
And if you add to my proportions bad knees it gets even better :) That's why i am looking for the best possible scenario and thinking to try directional and or foil... Of course TT stays, but I just want to make sure that I will be able to kite for many years to come without destroying my knees...

JakeFarley
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip, custom 140 x 50 strapless twintip/skim

Postby JakeFarley » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:51 pm

IMHO I would recommend a large directional kite surfboard and learn strapless. You can position your feet so that you reduce pressure on your knees. From what I've read on this forum it is also good preparation for transitioning to foiling.
These users thanked the author JakeFarley for the post:
andrzej351 (Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:43 pm)
Rating: 10%

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:32 pm

fatkiter wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:53 pm
But if as Herman says the board will be too small for me it changes my perspective

Here is a link for the board in question :https://www.car.gr/25925385-liquid-force-rocket-foil

And to answer to Matteo V- my shoe size is 49,5 (15 US) :)
The board I use almost exclusively is the LF KiteFish with 4 fins. I actually have 6 of them all set up the same. One has been modded to have the same quad fin placement, but also has reinforced mast bolt holes (2 locations) for use as a hydrofoil board.

Given the boards construction, it is indestructible, and so are the bolt on surf fins that I put on it. Here is the mod instructional I made.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 1182711036

While this board is heavy, it turns out to not be too much of a percentage increase given a heavy weight's body weight. And since I trashed out all my "proper surfboards" as some would say, this board is the only one I can rely on to stay in one piece for strapped riding.

Both the board you are looking at and the KiteFish are the same construction.

And the price is right on used KiteFishes as my last one only cost me $60!

Herman
Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:57 pm

Having looked at your link I see that while the board is only 60in it does have a lot of width at 20in/50.8cm and so will be rideable for big guys using a fair bit of power. The mate who had the earlier edition of it is also usually riding top end SBs which would not be a fair comparison, and so don't let me put you off the board. The compromises it makes might suit your needs and budget.

Obviously try to get a ride on one if you can....?????

PS If you stumbled across an old 7ft6 Naish Sky Pirate it should be next to no money, it may well be a bit of cheap fun. I still take mine out occasionally just for old times sake and it might be an easy strapless intro...........easy to get upwind to!

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:35 pm

Herman wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:57 pm
Having looked at your link I see that while the board is only 60in it does have a lot of width at 20in/50.8cm and so will be rideable for big guys using a fair bit of power. The mate who had the earlier edition of it is also usually riding top end SBs which would not be a fair comparison, and so don't let me put you off the board. The compromises it makes might suit your needs and budget.
Again, weight wise, the trade off is higher weight board with a higher weight rider...... kind of evens out.

Then, the durability gives you a board that allows the board to not suddenly turn into 2 pieces under you.

But the fish tail is the best, once you learn to hold it down in higher winds and bigger waves. The parallel rails (due to the fish tail) act as a way to have a shorter board that saves the best part of a longer board.

But no one really likes this board until they spend enough time on it to truly utilize it to it's full potential.

Herman
Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:43 pm

Fatkiter

Having seen Matteo V reassurence and enthusiasm for the board I would say it is difficult to see much wrong with your plan particularly as it is low risk budget wise. Good luck with your decision!

Regards Herman

PS As I said try and get a ride on one, but as Matteo V says you will need time to familiarise yourself with it before you can truly make your judgement. If you get to try one just forming the impression that you could get to grips with it given time may be enough!

Return to “Kitesurfing”