Forum for kitesurfers
tomato
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sweden
Style: faceplant!!!
Gear: old

Re: Newbie Board questions

Postby tomato » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:40 am

I have started directional this summer after few years of hesitation. It was easier than I thought and way better on my knees. Riding surfboard strapless allows me to put feet much more comfortable, that's a big change from TT and I can ride longer.
These users thanked the author tomato for the post:
fatkiter (Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:23 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby or6 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:08 am

You can easily start on a directional. I did, way back. Recently, two mates did...admittedly, they were crossing over from windsurfing. They never touched a TT.
Go for it!
These users thanked the author or6 for the post:

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:32 am

I guess it doesn't matter much if you are not going transitions on the TT? Directional is slightly more tricky to water start and turning takes a bit more practice than on a TT.

But I agree with the rest there is no need to go via TT to learn directional - if you long term goal is to ride directional.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:06 am

I think the answer must take in count the average wind range of your home spot. If you plan to ride with your 17 in 12-15 knots, my opinion is that a "big" board (143/44 x 43/45) is a good choice in case you choose to own one board only. A smaller board is not enough at your weight in e.g. 12 knots, you're going to stay on the beach 50% of the days. If the wind is stronger, 15-20 or more, consider a used quite big board for learning and then switch to a 141/42x40/42.
These users thanked the author pmaggie for the post:

fatkiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: Ozone zephyr 17m
Switch Element 14m
Ozone catalyst 10m
Naish haze 144 x 45
SU2 Bigfoot 145 x45

Postby fatkiter » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:37 am

Bringing back my old post and still with more questions:)

Being winter I still didn't have a chance to test any directional boards and again being winter mind naturally goes to spending money to be ready for summer season:)

I keep watching videos about riding directional boards and naturally YouTube makes suggestions so I end up watching allot of foil videos as well.

Man this looks like soooo smooth and so light on your knees... So I keep thinking shall I try and progress to foiling?

I have an opportunity to buy a used Liquid Force Rocket foil. Comes with short 60 cm and long 85 cm masts as well as with fins to ride it as a.normall surf board.

My idea is to ride it first as a normal directional board and then try the foil.

The board is 5.0 feet I am 1 m 96 and almost 120 kg. Do you think the board will be ok?? Does my plan sound realistic? Any one here has experience with the gear in question?

Thanks allot

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:06 pm

Looking at it optimistically anything is possible. Looking at it pessmisticaly:

The board is too small to be rewarding as a first directional. Possibly heavy if the board is an early rocket fish - check for this.
The foil is smallish and may not be that easy to progress on.
The combination is probably ok maybe even good for the taxi phase of the hydrofoil learning curve.

Bear in mind this is from observation of a friend's progress and not direct experience. He had a similar combination but did not keep it very long. Soon moved to the Onda.

For a first directional at your size I would look out for an Airush Sector 60, unless you are in surf or decide to go hydrofoil. But keep the TT for stronger wind.
Last edited by Herman on Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
fatkiter (Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:59 pm)

robclaisse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Currently living in Blouberg, Cape Town, ZA
Favorite Beaches: Shoreham-by-sea, UK
Waddell Creek - Santa Cruz, USA
Tableview, Cape Town, SA
Style: Waves / Foiling
Gear: F-one Breeze 15m, Bandits 11,8,6
Pocket 13cm with a Mirage 800, 85cm mast
Mitu 5'8"
Trax Carbon 137
Brand Affiliation: Progression Sports (Formally Fat Sand)

Postby robclaisse » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:19 pm

I've taught someone to foil with similar experience to you and it will be hard work but definitely possible but I would strongly suggest you make life as easy as possible and get the best beginner foil possible!

The Rocket foil is ok but the design is quite dated now and though many people have learnt on it in the past (no doubt someone on here will say they have and it worked for them) but it is not the easiest and more suited to someone with better kite skills who can get over some of its quirks. My rule of thumb is the less kiting experience you have the more important the right foil is, the more important learning in the right conditions is and more important it is that you truly understand how to learn to kitefoiling.

Having said all this there is no harm it trying the Rocket foil but just don't be put off if you find it difficult to learn to foil on and just realise that a modern foil might be the answer.
These users thanked the author robclaisse for the post:
fatkiter (Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:58 pm)

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:56 pm

Board width does not only relate to weight, but also foot size. A larger foot (longer toe to heel), will allow you to hold down a wider board.

Being tall and heavy with a small foot, has the potential to move you outside of the possible adjustments for foot spacing and board width. Think of the distance between your big toe and your heel, as a lever arm. The longer that lever arm, the less weight it requires to leverage over the heelside and toe side edge.

Many female riders have issues with this. I am heavy for my height, but fortunate to have a size 11 to 11.5 US shoe size. While I have not met a board that I can't hold the edge down on water, some snowboards are too wide for me to edge on hard surfaces without stiffer boots that wind up being uncomfortable to snowkite with.

So what is your shoe size?
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
fatkiter (Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:59 pm)

fatkiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: Ozone zephyr 17m
Switch Element 14m
Ozone catalyst 10m
Naish haze 144 x 45
SU2 Bigfoot 145 x45

Postby fatkiter » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:53 pm

Thank you all for your replies,

The reason that I am considering this option I mentioned is because i would really like to have the choice to use it as a directional board and as a foil... But if as Herman says the board will be too small for me it changes my perspective

Here is a link for the board in question :https://www.car.gr/25925385-liquid-force-rocket-foil

And to answer to Matteo V- my shoe size is 49,5 (15 US) :)

Thanks!

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:35 pm

1.98m/6'6" and 120kg with US size 15 feet? A midget you are not! ;-)

Learn and have fun on the 144x45 TT with your Zephyr then keep them as backup because you know they work for you.

Try other boards and kites at your leisure, before buying.

Return to “Kitesurfing”