Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Newbie Board questions

Forum for kitesurfers
Herman
Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Newbie Board questions

Postby Herman » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:35 am

Iiriejohn has a good point. If you are holding down proper power the monster door may not be the board to be on even for your size.

Regards Herman
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
fatkiter (Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:24 pm)
Rating: 10%

Havre
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic

Postby Havre » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:48 am

"Smaller" in this context is still rather huge.

Give it some time. My guess is with improved edging technique this will work fine on 144x45.

How wide is your stance? As we are the same height it helped me moving the foot straps further away from each other.
Last edited by Havre on Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:

fatkiter
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: Ozone zephyr 17m
Switch Element 14m
Ozone catalyst 10m
Naish haze 144 x 45
SU2 Bigfoot 145 x45
Been thanked: 0

Postby fatkiter » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:08 am

Thank you all for replying! What a grate community!

I went out yesterday again on the smaller board with very low wind and when combining my experience from this session with the comments some of you made here I came to 2 conclusions

Most probably on most days I go out overpowered with my 17 m kite and that makes it more difficult to edge and go up-wind. Yesterday with very low wind it was the first time I managed to fall back and make the board edge by pressing on the heels.

But at the same time I had to constantly keep moving the kite because of the low wind. So again confused;)
A bit more wind and it's getting difficult to control the posture a bit less wind and no power to lift me...

Second note : I think the foot straps on the very large board are placed too near eachother. Unfortunately I am not allowed to move them since the board belongs to the kite school...

Do you think I should try a smaller kite? Like 15 for eg?

Thanks!

Havre
Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic

Postby Havre » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:51 am

How much wind are we talking about? I got the Zephyr and that is quite versatile and you can ride that in pretty decent wind before getting overpowered when you are like me in that 100kg+ category.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:

Herman
Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:51 am

If you have the right kite for the prevailing wind I don't think you would feel that either a 15 or a 17 was significantly easier than the other to learn on.

You just need more time on water. It is obviously safer to learn underpowered but not necessarily easier. Don't push taking more power too early, you have to serve a braintraining apprenticeship. Basic riding is like walking it has to be done by a trained natural response. No doubt you could walk using conscious thought but it would look like you were staggering about like a novice trying to kitesurf.

Eventually as you build your skills you will find it easier to go upwind the more power you have, right up until you can no longer control the edge. Visualization, land practice etc all help but there is no complete substitute for time on water. Having more kites will give you more time on water, as you will be able to use a greater range of wind strengths. But don't go out on the water in higher wind too soon. It is all a compromise, just err on the safe side until you build experience.

Regards Herman

After thoughts:
Having just a 17 is bit restrictive but if I were to add another kite to your quiver I would go smaller than a 15. I think a 14 would be a better gap or at a push a 12.

It is also good practice to just sit back in the water with the board on your feet flying the kite back and forth without even trying to get up. Just be careful when you reach the shallows that you do not let the board grab the bottom and trip over it! Sorry if this is teaching granny to suck eggs!
Last edited by Herman on Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Havre
Frequent Poster

Postby Havre » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:34 am

My Zephyr 17m and Enduro 12m overlap almost perfectly. Maybe in an ideal world I would have liked 17 and 13, but I would recommend 12 over 14. Especially if you are planning to extend further down in size with time. 9-12-17 covers almost all conditions for someone above 100kg.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post (total 2):
iriejohn (Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:44 pm) • fatkiter (Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:24 pm)
Rating: 20%

Herman
Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:45 am

Havre has experience with the relevant Ozone kites where as I do not and so I would go with his advice on kite size. If you stick with it you are bound to want a 12m anyway!

Regards Herman
fatkiter (Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:25 pm)

Exal
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:05 pm

What's with the school? Are they not helping you? An instructor who can see you on the water and knows the conditions is perfect for advice.
These users thanked the author Exal for the post:

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:45 pm

Havre wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:34 am
My Zephyr 17m and Enduro 12m overlap almost perfectly. Maybe in an ideal world I would have liked 17 and 13, but I would recommend 12 over 14. Especially if you are planning to extend further down in size with time. 9-12-17 covers almost all conditions for someone above 100kg.
That's exactly what I also find with my Zephyr 17m and Enduro 12m. :thumb:
These users thanked the author iriejohn for the post:

fatkiter
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: Ozone zephyr 17m
Switch Element 14m
Ozone catalyst 10m
Naish haze 144 x 45
SU2 Bigfoot 145 x45
Been thanked: 0

Postby fatkiter » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:45 pm

Thank you all for the replies ! To be honest I was waiting for some good weather to gather some more experience with different boards.

Was very lucky and last 4 days we had very nice Wind at the local beach. So my experience so far

By far easier to go up wind with a biiiiig flat door in low wind conditions. It just forgives any small mistakes and gives you time to correct them. ( I tried a board from the local school with dimensions 160*48)

Having said that if the wind start to pick up and waves start appearing it gets a bit uncomfortable and hard on the knees

Then I was trying with my smaller board (still big for most people) 144* 45 which has a bit of a curve. It's for sure much faster or at least it feels to me much faster. Much better on small waves and much better for my knees but also much more difficult to ride . Front was some times sinking in the water and getting upwind was harder.

I like the feel of the smaller board but I think I still need practice...

I know what I wrote is for sure common sence to most of you but maybe useful to new riders especially those taller and heavier.

And now a few more questions:)

I still have a lot of learnig to do on TT ( and I really like to ride on them) but I am thinking that maybe directional surfboards will be better for my already bad knees. Small I try directional boards before I become 100% sufficient on TT or wait until I have mastered TT riding and then try directionals?

Thanks!

Return to “Kitesurfing”