Forum for kitesurfers
Astropupp
Rare Poster
Gear: 2018 Cabrinha Switchblade 11m
Brand Affiliation: None

Waist Harness Bruising Ribs ?

Postby Astropupp » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:31 am

Hi Guys,
Relatively new to the sport but have been suffering from some rib pain(thought I broke one) after kiting. I'm still a beginner so I've had a couple of nice launches across the water, but it appears to be from the waist harness riding up and compressing my ribs. Anyone else have this issue and what is the fix ?

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Prodigy, 9.5m Prodigy, 12m Prodigy , 12m Flite, 17m Flite. Crazyfly Raptor Pro Neon, Shinnster,
Mako Duke.

Re: Waist Harness Bruising Ribs ?

Postby matth » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:36 am

Buy a seat harness or board shorts and ignore the fashion police.. I do love listening to all the claims of why being tugged around by your rib cage or lower back is better than a seat.... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
These users thanked the author matth for the post (total 2):
Astropupp (Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:01 am) • SENDIT! (Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:08 pm)
Rating: 20%

FarQueLot
Medium Poster
Gear: Ozone,Slingshot,my own
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby FarQueLot » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:50 am

Harness riding up is because you are letting the kite too high above you and not leaning back enough against the pressure. You should be transmitting pressure through the harness to your feet and to the board.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: long bay tci
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:04 am

brada, are you a "V" shape?....or more of an "O" shape?

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:30 am

all writen + almost all waist harness spreader bar is WAY too short. Make sure that spreader bar is correct size i.e. it spread load so harness doesnt pinch your rib cage - it has to be almost as wide as your rib cage
These users thanked the author tomtom for the post:
zlatko23 (Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:25 am)
Rating: 10%

AndersP
Medium Poster
Gear: Foil

Postby AndersP » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:27 am

With a seat harness you can have the kite as high or low as you want. You can lean i any direction you want and no matter which model you choose your ribs will feel just fine.

AndersP
Medium Poster
Gear: Foil

Postby AndersP » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:28 am

Double post..

Havre
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic

Postby Havre » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:29 am

A seat harness would be one solution, but it is more than possible to ride a waist harness being thrown around without breaking your ribs. I personally don't like them, but worth trying out. Certainly not true that only beginners use them.

It took me quite awhile before I finally got the hang of riding a waist harness. Adjusting the harness position by flying the kite lower is the trick when the harness has started to ride up.

In any case it sounds like you got a bad fit. Not helpful if you are afraid of getting hurt when crashing.

zlatko23
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Keros(Limnos), Milos & Agios Nikolaos (Lefkada)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter 5m, Switchblade 7m&10m, Contra 13m, Ozone Enduro V2 9m, CrazyFly Raptor LTD

Postby zlatko23 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:29 am

I second what @tomtom wrote above - most spreader bars fitted to waist harnesses are too short. Spreader bar should be nearly as long as the frontal length of your waist. That way the pull from the kite is "spread" and there is no pinching. Combine a proper length spreader bar with a hardshell harness and you can be really comfortable.

leeuwen
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Small air :D
Gear: Core XR5 7/ 10 /12 / 17M, Alien air Foil, Crazy Fly Raptor LTD Neon, Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:48 am

AFAIK most schools start out with seat harnesses.
When you are learning you have 2 situations that makes the harness ride/push up no matter what:
Lots of kite at 12 and body-dragging.
Size is a lot less critical for a seat harness making it easier for schools to get a reasonable fit for most.
A waist harness should be a real good fit and I would recommend to always try out a few in a store if you are out to buy one.
I usually also need to pull the straps tighter after being in the water some time because the straps seem to stretch when they get wet.

When you get more skills you will less kite at 12 / body dragging.
Riding position usually also changes a bit over time to a more leaned back stance, this will help the harness to stay in place.
Sometimes you can even drag the harness a bit down by extreme leaning back.

However after riding quite a bit with a waist harnesses I actually just bought a seat harness.
Especially boosting in high winds with a waist harness gets uncomfortable for me (not so much harness riding up but the forces on my back) and I will probably switch between waist/seat based on windspeed.
Arguably for a lot of riders a seat harness would be better fit.
AFAIK waist harnesses excel at free/wake style but that is only a smallish percentage of the people on the water.
For freeride and foiling a seat harness is probably more comfortable with the only real drawback that it looks like a diaper and takes a little bit more time to equip it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”