Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Waist Harness Bruising Ribs ?

Forum for kitesurfers
tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Waist Harness Bruising Ribs ?

Postby tomtom » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:10 pm

I just dont get it - why /almost/ every seat harness fan have this impulse to tell whole word that seat is better and waist is just fashion?
Both have they places. Rope slider do exact same thing on seat than on waist - remove hook leverage - which is good thing. But it doesnt make waist harness from seat.
Waist harness dont pull you at hip and let hip and leg more isolated from pull. Thats why they are more free to move. Simple as that. Im riding both seat and waist - and can appreciate both.
Neither is better - just better suited for something.

Herman
Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Herman » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:23 pm

Astropup

Other than changing harness the 3 fixes I would look at are:
a. Buying a wider spreader, good time to change to a rope slider which creates less torque than a hook.
b. Buying a set of strappies. These are loops round the thigh with a webbing to hold the hook down of your harness.
C. Buying a climbing harness to use with your waists harness in same way as strappies. This one is often used by landboarders.

Personally I use waist harness, board shorts harness and climbing harness depending on what I am doing and what height I want the harness. It is probably worth experimenting as it is quite a personal thing and unfortunately it not a question of a quick try before you find what suits you.
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
iriejohn (Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:27 pm)
Rating: 10%

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: long bay tci
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:51 pm

Herman wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:23 pm
Astropup

a. Buying a wider spreader, good time to change to a rope slider which creates less torque than a hook.
b. Buying a set of strappies. These are loops round the thigh with a webbing to hold the hook down of your harness.
C. Buying a climbing harness to use with your waists harness in same way as strappies. This one is often used by landboarders.

Personally I use waist harness, board shorts harness and climbing harness depending on what I am doing and what height I want the harness. It is probably worth experimenting as it is quite a personal thing and unfortunately it not a question of a quick try before you find what suits you.
interesting...
i'd love to see a photo of that set-up

AndersP
Medium Poster
Gear: Foil

Postby AndersP » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:53 pm

I would like to try a climbing harness but change the belt part to a bigger and a bit padded part. The ozone winter harness have a way to big padded part for my taste. And also a very short spreader bar.
Do any of you have suggestion for a mini waist/ big padded belt to combine with climbing leg straps?
I think it could be a very good thing for big wing small kite foiling. Maybe I could take my boardshort harness and cut away the shorts bit. Probably look bad as hell so I'm looking forward to a comfort climbing harness solution.

I put up the list because I hear and read about so many kiters having problems with their waist harness. And it seems to me a lot of work get a comfy solution. The easy solution as I see it is to start with a seat/boardshort harness and keep that until you find something better.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: No brand affiliation

Postby alexeyga » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:12 pm

Herman wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:23 pm
Astropup

Hate to advertise without being paid for it, but OR guys have pretty much nailed it with their Session harness. V2 or V3 - it's all good. You get a very comfy waist harness which you are free to use naked or strapped. This thing will get any noob through his/her first couple of seasons with flying colors. By then one's stance and riding style are more or less settled and the rider can make a much better, experience-based decision about what kind of harness will suit his/her needs a lot better.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Firewire/Tomo Surfboards
Loyd Surfboards
Brand Affiliation: iKitesurf

Postby Da Yoda » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:17 pm

Astropupp wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:31 am
Anyone else have this issue and what is the fix ?
You've received some good responses. I also think that your harness is possibly not fitted correctly or you're not cinching it down in a correct manor (there's actually a technique). If can get to a local shop and speak with their harness "expert", that would be a good first step.

Some will recommend to switch to a seat harness, but there are some alternative options...
First would be a Hybrid harness like the Ocean Rodeo Session3 or the Mystic Star Hybrid.

Second, as mentioned, Mystic used to make a leg-loop attachment called Strappies. They're no longer in production, but can still be found online. Be aware they have limited compatibility with some of Mystic's and other brands of spreader bars and will likely require some modification to attach safely. They were technically designed to attach through the horizontal loop under the hook on their Basic s-bar...
https://www.mysticboarding.com/products ... bar#000000
https://live2kite.com/products/mystic-s ... 2345121849

Some, including a buddy of mine, are now combining the new Mystic Stealth Surf s-bar and attaching the Strappies to the small rope loop. The combination of the rope slider and Stappies pretty much eliminates any ride-up while still allowing the freedom of wearing a waist harness.
https://www.mysticboarding.com/products ... bar#000000

Once you get your technique and riding skills improved you'll see a big difference and a reduction in waist harness ride-up (if it's correctly fitted+adjusted). Mine still does it occasionally on a big crash, but it's easy to push it back in place. :wink:

Herman
Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:10 pm

Elguapo and AndersP

Sorry I don't have any pictures of my climbing harness set up but if you go on U tube and search for "How to Kite Land Board Tutorial Full Video" at 11:09 you will see how it is done. There is nothing complicated about it.

Personally for landboarding I do the following:

a. Sunny day light wind just climbing harness, a mid range Black Diamond, chicken loop to carabiner. Just cruising about.
b. Serious light wind session board shorts harness. Maybe some unhooking.
c. Winds up climbing harness/waste harness combo because I want a higher hook/slider position but the kite will be high for a lot of its flying time.

On the water I just use a waist harness with slider but may go to board shorts harness for hydrofoil - not sure yet.

I find the climbing harness comfortable enough by itself in light winds. To improve comfort I sometimes wear a pair of crash shorts which provides a bit of padding.

Da Yoda knows his stuff, the above was a great response for the OP.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: No brand affiliation

Postby alexeyga » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:39 pm

Herman wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:10 pm

Personally for landboarding I do the following:

a. Sunny day light wind just climbing harness, a mid range Black Diamond, chicken loop to carabiner. Just cruising about.
b. Serious light wind session board shorts harness. Maybe some unhooking.
c. Winds up climbing harness/waste harness combo because I want a higher hook/slider position but the kite will be high for a lot of its flying time.

Bud, a beginner is having issues with a harness digging into his ribs... Now, how does discussing climbing harnesses used for landboarding and/or for whacking of on a foil would be of any constructive help? Sorry - can't help wondering... You feel like sharing your climbing harnesses experience? Fine, but don't you think that there are more appropriate topics to this purpose?

Herman
Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:59 pm

I was asked a question and I do not feel the answer was too off topic bud.

Astropupp
Rare Poster
Gear: 2018 Cabrinha Switchblade 11m

Postby Astropupp » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:26 am

Lots of good feedback here and appreciated. For windsurfing I've always used a seat harness and had originally thought this would be the way to go when I started kiting, but got talked into the waist harness. As several folks pointed out, it's probably something to tinker around with until you find the best option. In the meantime as long as I don't have to sneeze, I'm sure it will feel less painful in a few days.

Return to “Kitesurfing”