Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why do manufacturers do not list board weight?

Forum for kitesurfers
kite_hh
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, North, own
Brand Affiliation: None

Why do manufacturers do not list board weight?

Postby kite_hh » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:04 pm

I was wondering why it is so difficult to find weights for kite boards, specifically directional boards. Other measures such as length, width, and thickness can mostly be found. Sometimes even volumen. But weight seems to be something that is not talked about.

Every now and then I find myself looking for the weight of a board. Not as a single criterium, but to get a better idea of the board in question.

Windsurfers do have https://www.windsurfmarkt.de , a comprehensive database that list an incredible amount of specs. I do not know of any such database for kiters. Unfortunately. (Though there is a list in a German forum for boards below 3,3 kg --> http://surfforum.oase.com/showthread.php?p=1316061 ).

Are manufacturers simply afraid to post the weight, because they know it is not as low as it could be? Are they afraid customers might demand unsustainable weights? Or do the simple not want to give customers an easy figure to compare boards?

Exal
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Re: Why do manufacturers do not list board weight?

Postby Exal » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:55 pm

I think it is because there is wood involved and weight varies accordingly. Which made sense to me since with guitars you have the same problem and companies don't give the weight info. There are companies who give the weight with an info that weights might vary, for example F-One.

prop_joe
Medium Poster
Gear: twin tips

Postby prop_joe » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:46 pm

Because figures and useful info doesn't sell boards... bulls**t does. Who needs numbers when you have words like 'bombproof', 'eats chop', 'blasts upwind' etc especially when any/all of them apply to every board ever made! :)
These users thanked the author prop_joe for the post (total 3):
Faxie (Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:04 pm) • cor (Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:36 pm) • jyka (Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:52 pm)
Rating: 30%

cor
Medium Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:36 pm

Companies tend to only list figures if they are confident about them, meaning if they actually invested effort in reducing weight.

And yes, totally agreeing with prop_joe. Figures don't sell. Bullshit talk does.

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:59 pm

Companies don't have much control over weight. They only specify a shape and layup schedule. Then the board is produced in a third world country by a range skill level. Some workers are more skilled than the best "local" shapers in the first world. Some are plumbers by day, and shapers by night. But most don't ride the boards so attention to detail and saving weight is not their strong point.

And along with that, meeting more stringent specifications means more "out of spec" reject boards, which in turn results in higher production costs.

But the 2 biggest reasons for not publishing weight are:

1. people complain about their board not meeting the published spec weight (my board is too heavy so it does not perform) - (my board is too light because they forgot to put a layer of glass so it broke).

2. Specs are easy to get off of prototypes, but will vary too much to even be in the ball park with production.

decay
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Muizenburg, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Ruakaka River Mouth
Style: ALL
Gear: Stuff I design
Brand Affiliation: Product Engineer - Airush

Postby decay » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:16 pm

Is weight a measure of performance? Esp over time?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:30 pm

decay wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:16 pm
If the difference is significant then yes. More weight is slower to react, harder to turn, physically more annoying to carry, can increase the difficulty of tricks. It could also make the board more solid and less twitchy and to some degree smoother as it plows through chop better.

kite_hh
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, North, own

Postby kite_hh » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:32 pm

Thanks for the answers. I do agree it is much easier to write some useless marketing than to actually open up and be measured against hard facts. And it probably sells boards well enough.

At least for me I can say that weight certainly does play a role. I would also argue that it doesn't take a lot of skill to be able to feel the difference between a heavier and a lighter board. Hence, it should be more important. And certainly is it a performance measure such as length, width, thickness, and volume are (and material and shape!).

I doubt that manufacturing tolerances are that high. Mine have always been closely within posted (official or not) weights.

Sure, maybe +/-10%, but IMO anything above that points towards serious quality issues. Maybe another reason not to publish any numbers.

Would be awesome if manufacturers provided those numbers easily.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 7, 9, 12 Crazyfly Bulldozer 2020 Firewire Hellrazor 6.1 timbertek Shinn Shinnster.

Postby Faxie » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:54 pm

Crazyfly gives weights on their website. Not sure about others.

swimmer
Medium Poster
Style: TRICKS
Gear: Liquid Force, Cabrinha, Best

Postby swimmer » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:59 pm

plummet wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:30 pm
decay wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:16 pm
If the difference is significant then yes. More weight is slower to react, harder to turn, physically more annoying to carry, can increase the difficulty of tricks. It could also make the board more solid and less twitchy and to some degree smoother as it plows through chop better.

Not true, weight has less of an impact on performance than the shape and profile of the board. A heavy 9lb wakestyle board with a high rocker is often more lively, reacts quicker and pops easier in the water than a lightweight board with a flat rocker say around ~7lbs.
Last edited by swimmer on Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author swimmer for the post:
SENDIT! (Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:34 pm)
Rating: 10%

Return to “Kitesurfing”