Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

quick release ejecting accidentally

Forum for kitesurfers
szert
Rare Poster
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:38 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Camber Sands, UK
Gear: looking for...
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: quick release ejecting accidentally

Postby szert » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:40 am

joekitetime wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:47 pm
I wrap a rubber band around mine to keep it from sliding out too easily. It works. Can still punch out no problem if need be.

I think if the tolerance is a tad too much or the the thing gets a tad worn it punches out easier.
Would you please post a photo of your hack when you have a chance?

szert
Rare Poster
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:38 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Camber Sands, UK
Gear: looking for...
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: quick release ejecting accidentally

Postby szert » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:43 am

alexeyga wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:38 pm
These are actually fairly hard to activate by accident, unless either there's something bogus going on with it - or you're doing something what you aren't aware of.

Have you picked it up used? Are both elastics there? In what condition is the release mechanism?
yep bought used. both elastic bands are there but it might be indeed weakened.
20190905_090059.jpg

szert
Rare Poster
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:38 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Camber Sands, UK
Gear: looking for...
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: quick release ejecting accidentally

Postby szert » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:45 am

Foil wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:27 am
just pulled one end of each little bungee out of its hole with fine nose pliers and moved the stop knot nearly 2cm down,checked it worked as predicted, which it did,
(I did take it too far at first and it needed too much force to push out the release , but because I did not cut off the tail of the small bungee elastic I could alter it a little)
now its perfect.
good tip, i will try that. thanks.

User avatar
pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 748
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:54 am
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core Riot XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Como Lake - Italy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: quick release ejecting accidentally

Postby pmaggie » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:34 am

Some years ago, I had the same problem with a Core bar (I was riding the first XR, can't remember the name of that bar). I contacted Core and the fixed the problem for free in a few days (sending their courier to fetch the bar in my office and sending it back repaired, a 2 years old out of warranty bar!). They told me the problem was a defective spring inside the QR. Please note that the defect was not "reproducible" on the beach, I tried to hook while a friend pulled the front lines with all his strength but no way to make the QR open accidentally, it happened only in the water under the pull of the flying kite.
These users thanked the author pmaggie for the post:
szert (Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:46 am)
Rating: 10%

User avatar
alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 969
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 12:41 pm
Kiting since: 2007
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: No brand affiliation
Location: Montreal, Canada / NJ, USA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: quick release ejecting accidentally

Postby alexeyga » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:49 pm

szert wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:43 am
alexeyga wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:38 pm
These are actually fairly hard to activate by accident, unless either there's something bogus going on with it - or you're doing something what you aren't aware of.

Have you picked it up used? Are both elastics there? In what condition is the release mechanism?
yep bought used. both elastic bands are there but it might be indeed weakened.
20190905_090059.jpg
This looks fairly tired.   I'd get these elastics replaced at the very least - available from any Airush dealer.  And while you'll be there - make them verify your bar and chicken-loop altogether.
One thing I really like about Airush bars - they are very simple and very serviceable - everything is replaceable and most parts are available.   Albeit - far from being perfect - but very dependable.
These users thanked the author alexeyga for the post:
szert (Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:50 pm)
Rating: 10%

User avatar
POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1280
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:48 pm
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: ¤°
Location: Great Lakes
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 50 times

Re: quick release ejecting accidentally

Postby POACHER » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:01 pm

Sun, sand, saltwater. The trifecta of ruining kite gear.
$.30 new elastic bungee and you'll be good to go.

Good idea to check the chicken loop too, your bar looks pretty.........seasoned?
If that's junk, maybe try to buy a North Iron Heart and retrofit.
These users thanked the author POACHER for the post:
szert (Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:50 pm)
Rating: 10%

szert
Rare Poster
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:38 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Camber Sands, UK
Gear: looking for...
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: quick release ejecting accidentally

Postby szert » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:19 am

this keeps happening with an other bar (gong, in much better condition, see photo)...

I had both hands on the bar for sure as i still held it with two hands after last eject.

Then I had a day without this happening. That day I finally had a breakthrough and started to ride upwind. So i thought that's it, it must have been caused by my uncontrolled waterstarts.

Next day rode 3hrs without an issue, fun (trying to learn transition). Bit stronger gusts but nothing extreme. After a fairly strong pull when tried to transition, boom, loud metal click sound and eject again. Bar is in my hands but had to let it go as was pulling too much. This time quite far from shore. Luckily a kiter picked my kite and a windsurfer dragged me ashore, saving me a 40mins swim.

The QR was in the state as on the photo.

As much i can recall all cases it was a very strong pull when it happened.

Is it possible that both bar have an issue? Or am i doing something wrong?
20190913_090124.jpg

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 988
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:39 pm
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 9m Element V3 7m V4 9m-5m
Crazyfly Bulldozer 2017 Firewire Hellrazor 6.1 timbertek Shinn Shinnster.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: quick release ejecting accidentally

Postby Faxie » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:46 am

szert wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:19 am
this keeps happening with an other bar (gong, in much better condition, see photo)...

I had both hands on the bar for sure as i still held it with two hands after last eject.

Then I had a day without this happening. That day I finally had a breakthrough and started to ride upwind. So i thought that's it, it must have been caused by my uncontrolled waterstarts.

Next day rode 3hrs without an issue, fun (trying to learn transition). Bit stronger gusts but nothing extreme. After a fairly strong pull when tried to transition, boom, loud metal click sound and eject again. Bar is in my hands but had to let it go as was pulling too much. This time quite far from shore. Luckily a kiter picked my kite and a windsurfer dragged me ashore, saving me a 40mins swim.

The QR was in the state as on the photo.

As much i can recall all cases it was a very strong pull when it happened.

Is it possible that both bar have an issue? Or am i doing something wrong?

20190913_090124.jpg
Huh? When that release ejects, the metal lever has to stick out of the cap. No way it can stay inside. Unless the cap is damaged on the inside maybe, or too much play to the side.

Plenty of brands have used that quick release, and though it's a bitch to reset, I haven't heard of accidental releases.

szert
Rare Poster
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:38 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Camber Sands, UK
Gear: looking for...
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: quick release ejecting accidentally

Postby szert » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:37 am

Faxie wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:46 am
Huh? When that release ejects, the metal lever has to stick out of the cap. No way it can stay inside. Unless the cap is damaged on the inside maybe, or too much play to the side.

Plenty of brands have used that quick release, and though it's a bitch to reset, I haven't heard of accidental releases.
I could only think two ways the QR ending in that state.
1. the metal ring slipped from the pin without the cap being pushed because of the big pull by the kite. Whether because the pin or the cap is worn.

2. The cap was pushed by my body or harness and the pin flipped back before the cap returned. I played with it a bit and it doesnt seem totally impossible as the pin moves very easily.


There was a tip above to tighten the elastic bands within the cap but i find it weird having the same issue with two different bars when the gong one is in very good condition. also asked other kiters on the beach to try to push the QR and they didn't find it too loose..

I would just go and get an other bar but i want to be sure it's not something i am doing wrong. I am a beginner but past the survival panic mode, actually having fun riding and getting a grip on kite/board control. so i doubt I am doing something unconsciously in panic :)

it is fairly frustrating as i can't trust the bar anymore and ending up in time consuming self rescue (or wasting rescue boat's time...) and untangling after far too often.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 988
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:39 pm
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 9m Element V3 7m V4 9m-5m
Crazyfly Bulldozer 2017 Firewire Hellrazor 6.1 timbertek Shinn Shinnster.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: quick release ejecting accidentally

Postby Faxie » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:02 am

szert wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:37 am
Faxie wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:46 am
Huh? When that release ejects, the metal lever has to stick out of the cap. No way it can stay inside. Unless the cap is damaged on the inside maybe, or too much play to the side.

Plenty of brands have used that quick release, and though it's a bitch to reset, I haven't heard of accidental releases.
I could only think two ways the QR ending in that state.
1. the metal ring slipped from the pin without the cap being pushed because of the big pull by the kite. Whether because the pin or the cap is worn.

2. The cap was pushed by my body or harness and the pin flipped back before the cap returned. I played with it a bit and it doesnt seem totally impossible as the pin moves very easily.


There was a tip above to tighten the elastic bands within the cap but i find it weird having the same issue with two different bars when the gong one is in very good condition. also asked other kiters on the beach to try to push the QR and they didn't find it too loose..

I would just go and get an other bar but i want to be sure it's not something i am doing wrong. I am a beginner but past the survival panic mode, actually having fun riding and getting a grip on kite/board control. so i doubt I am doing something unconsciously in panic :)

it is fairly frustrating as i can't trust the bar anymore and ending up in time consuming self rescue (or wasting rescue boat's time...) and untangling after far too often.
Ah I now noticed you have the same problem with 2 different quick releases?

I've had the 2nd quick release myself, and can't imagine the ring slipping as the plastic surrounding it is very sturdy. Then maybe the metal lever slipped past the cap... But seeing you're having the problem with another QR as well, my guess would be user error somehow. Try experimenting with a smaller or wider grip, and keeping the bar level or not. Maybe your wetsuit rubs against the QR...


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], CaliRider, fatkiter, Google [Bot], HALF, oldkiter, tegirinenashi and 24 guests

cron