Bed sun protection routine for kiters?

Forum for kitesurfers
elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Bed sun protection routine for kiters?

Postby elguapo » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:45 pm

edt wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:21 pm
Sunblock everywhere. I quit wearing hats, so now I gotta apply it to my rapidly developing bald spot too. zinc & titanium only the chemical shit (oxybenzone, avobenzone, octisalate, octocrylene, homosalate, octinoxate, etceter-erate) is just as bad for your skin as the sun. Sunglasses if the water temp is above 40F below 40 they fog up too much. I like the stuff that goes on white because you can tell with a quick glance in the mirror if you need to re-apply. I'll sometimes add some chocolate powder to the zinc if I'm shooting videos so I don't have clown face. Bullfrog is probably the best that uses all the chemicals, but the thing is the more you apply of the chemical stuff on your face the worse it is for you because then more of the chemicals get into your bloodstream. So there's always the temptation to not use enough of the oxybenzone octisalate stuff. For zinc, the more you apply the better as it lays on top of your skin like paint. I usually go for banana boat because it's cheap.
just an fyi...
but i do believe Titanium Dioxide is considered a carcinogen in canada and the so-so state of califorina

https://www.ccohs.ca/headlines/text186.html
https://www.ercweb.com/tips/show/titani ... carcinogen

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:46 pm

I'm surprised California hasn't banned grilling food already due to the carcinogens.... :roll:

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the less exposure the better but they are fanatical with labeling EVERYTHING

***THIS MAY KILL YOU...........EVENTUALLY.****
(we think..........don't sue us)

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:56 pm

No sunscreen
Avoidance of peak times for UV on sunny or cloudy days is very efficient
I either kitesurf until 2-3 hours after sunrise or 2-3 hours before sunset
Only protection is for my eyes with polarized sunglasses since I go out when sun angle is lower in the sky
Dermatologist is always amazed that she never finds anything suspicious with my skin because she knows i'm on the water quite often
Try doing the shadow test if sunny to judge more accurately the sun angle then make note of the time
If it's your height in length before noon time then avoid because it's just going to get worse for many hours
If it's your height in length in the afternoon then OK because it's just going to get safer as the day goes on
Just what works for me

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.

Postby dejavu » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:03 pm

A good UV hat with neck cover like the NP, then long sleeve UV rashie, UV polarized sunnies, UV lip sunscreen, then at least 50 or 100 banana boat on hands and legs. Works well. Re apply after two or three hours.

speedreef
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby speedreef » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:04 am

:jump:
Last edited by speedreef on Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

juanpasala
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Calima
Favorite Beaches: Calima
San Andres
Cabo de la Vela
Style: Freeride / Foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot 10 / Soul 10 / Sonic 3 11-15
Crazyfly Raptor LTD / Cogua - Levitaz Bionic

Postby juanpasala » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:43 pm

elguapo wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:45 pm
edt wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:21 pm
Sunblock everywhere. I quit wearing hats, so now I gotta apply it to my rapidly developing bald spot too. zinc & titanium only the chemical shit (oxybenzone, avobenzone, octisalate, octocrylene, homosalate, octinoxate, etceter-erate) is just as bad for your skin as the sun. Sunglasses if the water temp is above 40F below 40 they fog up too much. I like the stuff that goes on white because you can tell with a quick glance in the mirror if you need to re-apply. I'll sometimes add some chocolate powder to the zinc if I'm shooting videos so I don't have clown face. Bullfrog is probably the best that uses all the chemicals, but the thing is the more you apply of the chemical stuff on your face the worse it is for you because then more of the chemicals get into your bloodstream. So there's always the temptation to not use enough of the oxybenzone octisalate stuff. For zinc, the more you apply the better as it lays on top of your skin like paint. I usually go for banana boat because it's cheap.
just an fyi...
but i do believe Titanium Dioxide is considered a carcinogen in canada and the so-so state of califorina

https://www.ccohs.ca/headlines/text186.html
https://www.ercweb.com/tips/show/titani ... carcinogen
It is, but only in powder form, because they form nanoparticles taht migh get absorbed into your lungs.
However, once it is part of a cream it is fixed tehre so it doesnt move.
fyi, all the white pigments in the world are made of titanium dioxide.

Goavegas
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Grado
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Tarifa ,
Gear: Cabrinha FX 10 - 8 X-Caliber

Postby Goavegas » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:55 pm

I use Island Tribe and very happy with it,one application is enough for the whole day.

Wolkster
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Galveston, Tx
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach, Maui
Hood River, Oregon
Tariff, Spain
Style: Free rider
Gear: Naish, Crazy Fly, Core

Postby Wolkster » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:35 pm

This Neutrogena ultra sheer stuff is great, feels good, stays on, and cheap at Sams or Costco.
They make a 100spf version, but the 55 works well for 2+hrs on the water in strong sun.
https://www.samsclub.com/p/ultra-sheer- ... od22240048

br44
Frequent Poster
Gear: LEIs, foils

Postby br44 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:25 am

Neoprene. Full suit, booties, sailing gloves and hat. The only exposed spots are the nose/face and maybe part of the neck. As long as you stay wet you will not overheat.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:58 pm

I use a cheap factor 30. Never had any issues. Only time in my life I had been seriously burned all over my body was in Thailand when the Nivea sunscreen washed out without me realizing it.

Always sunglasses.

If I remember correctly factor 50 is the maximum in many countries. 50 sounds like a lot more than 30, but you only go from 97% coverage to 98%.

Return to “Kitesurfing”