Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Any known problems for Duotone Dump Valve issues/leaks?

Forum for kitesurfers
MkayDude
Rare Poster
Style: Bodydragging
Gear: Duotone Evo 7 (2019)
North Rebel 5 (2013)
Ozone 9,12 (2009)
Duotone Pro Wam (2019)
Flexifoil Twintip (2007)
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Any known problems for Duotone Dump Valve issues/leaks?

Postby MkayDude » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:43 pm

Hello guys,

I recently bought a brand new Duotone 2019 Evo 7m and noticed the dump valve was VERY sensible!
The kite never crashed hard. It touched the water a few times, but that can't be it because my previous kite was from 2009 and I never had a problem :D ...
The dump valve closes, but it's like it doesn't fit tightly. The moment you touch it or push it a little you can hear the air coming out!
Last time I had to come out of the water early because my kite started to collapse...

Is this a known problem?
My warranty is still active, is there something Duotone can do?

Greetings,

Me

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.76m
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9076° W (UK South Coast)
Style: This 'n that
Gear: V2 Enduros
Lieuwe Shotguns
Duotone Pro Fish
Flite Aluula 14.5

Re: Any known problems for Duotone Dump Valve issues/leaks?

Postby iriejohn » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:54 pm

It should not do that so because it is still under warranty you should make a warranty claim. At least you will have registered the fact that it is faulty.

Qiter
Medium Poster
Gear: Mostly foil

Postby Qiter » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:57 am

Hi,

Same here. I have the problem on two of my three kites from 2019. Very strange, I handle my gear with care.
Never had any issues before with dump valves on North/ duotone kites. And I used the dump valves all the time when packing the kite..
Any response from warranty?

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:05 am

By Dump valve, are you referring to the valve near the wing tip of the kite? Or the inflate/deflate valve in the centre?

Its recommended to leave the valve at the wingtip in the closed position when packing up and storing as it prevents it from getting deformed. I have seen problems in the past with getting a good seal. Sometimes a couple of rolls of electrical tape can bulk it out to get a tighter fit if the plug has warped.
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post:
Qiter (Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:19 am)
Rating: 8.33%

Qiter
Medium Poster
Gear: Mostly foil

Postby Qiter » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:22 am

nothing2seehere wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:05 am
By Dump valve, are you referring to the valve near the wing tip of the kite? Or the inflate/deflate valve in the centre?

Its recommended to leave the valve at the wingtip in the closed position when packing up and storing as it prevents it from getting deformed. I have seen problems in the past with getting a good seal. Sometimes a couple of rolls of electrical tape can bulk it out to get a tighter fit if the plug has warped.
Yes, the valve at the wingtip. In the instructions that come with the kite, it is clearly indicated that it can be used for deflating the kite. So I am surprised that it is causing problems, such valves have been used for years as main inflation valves for kites in the past.. And Tbh my kites are never stored for long (luckily), so deformation is probably not an issue (especially as they are relatively new).
What type of electrical tape you mean? There is seams inside the valve that are supposed to seal it but its leaky..

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:21 pm

Okay. I have seen problems with those very occasionally though not with a brand new kite.

The temporary fix is standard electrical insulation tape (https://www.toolstation.com/insulation-tape/p68110) or you might also try a bit of plumbers PTFE tape (https://www.toolstation.com/ptfe-tape/p20501) but these are more temporary fixes and unless left in-situ I've never seen one last more than 2-3 hours before needing a top up of air (did see one that was permanently left sealed that seemed to seal well). The tape is a good hack if you are on holiday and don't want to pay resort prices for spare parts.

Worth doing more diagnosis to see if its the seal to the plug or if its a crack in the nozzle. If you squirt a little soapy water over you should be able to see where the bubbles are coming out. The easiest fix for a deformed plug is to just buy another plug that has a better seal - better than just gluing it shut in my opinion as if it doesn't seal you have a second chance.

If its a nozzle then you really want to be replacing the whole valve. You can glue the nozzles short term (thin layer of stormsure on the inside, thicker layer on the outside and wrapped in PTFE tape or insulation tape to hold it in place) and I did run a kite like that for 3 months but it will eventually go so again its best to file this under holiday repair - which this was originally.

cor
Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:06 pm

Make a warranty claim at your dealer if you bought it recently. He will give you a new valve and you will have to glue it on. Not rocket science but it will take an hour.

Reasons for this happening could be:
-the valve was broken from the very beginning
-packing the kite way way too tight/putting a lot of pressure (like your bodyweight) on that kite while packing.

Return to “Kitesurfing”