Forum for kitesurfers
kitenight11
Medium Poster
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: GoPro Hero 8 about to release?

Postby kitenight11 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:07 pm

Like I said, Peter, buy one and you will be amazed. In my opinion it works better than the maxx - there is absolutely no "getting wonky" when cam is straight Overhead. It never hunts or searches the horizon. I am Pretty sure, sonner or later everybody will buy the hero8 instead of maxx.
And doing the leveling on your phone or tab is also no Problem. You can convert all files at one time and let the phone do its work and after 30 minutes you're done...and have magic levelled footage in a small uncomplicated package.
Good luck

Digdawg
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Snowkite:
Lemon Reservoir, Durango
Rito Hondo, Creede
Favorite Beaches: Key West
Outer Banks
CorpUs Christi
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
- Flite 12m, 14.5m & 17m
- Mako 150 & 160
Ozone
- Frenzy 14m
Epic
- Renegade 7m
Slingshot
- Crisis 140
Crazyfly
- LW 154
Ride Engine Harness

Postby Digdawg » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:45 am

kitenight11 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:07 pm
Like I said, Peter, buy one and you will be amazed. In my opinion it works better than the maxx - there is absolutely no "getting wonky" when cam is straight Overhead. It never hunts or searches the horizon. I am Pretty sure, sonner or later everybody will buy the hero8 instead of maxx.
And doing the leveling on your phone or tab is also no Problem. You can convert all files at one time and let the phone do its work and after 30 minutes you're done...and have magic levelled footage in a small uncomplicated package.
Good luck
I agree with almost everything kitenight11 said. I like viewing, editing and saving video files on my PC. I suspect I'll get a level of efficiency putting them on my phone and then pulling them back off, but it is a bit of a pain and slows things down. I also have to be mindful to keep videos deleted off my phone - I have a very large storage capacity and huge micro SD card, but you cannot set the GoPro App to store on the SD card. There is this strange deal where you can't find your files that are in the app (taking up lots of storage) to move them to your computer. You have to download each file from the app to your phone. If you have a windows/android file you have the file twice, using twice as much storage. You need to make sure your done and then delete the files. The biggest pain is if you move a file from your camera to your PC, or from your app to your phones storage, before you level it, you have to use the GoPro cloud service to get it back to the app. Probably requires you to pay for GoPro Plus, lengthy process in time and a pain. If they would put the leveling in Quick or a PC program it would help with people who like to edit on the PC with Divinci Resolve, Adobe, etc...

jasontsai
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Taiwan
Favorite Beaches: Taiwan, Maui
Style: Waves, Foiling
Gear: North Neo, Mono, Dice, Whip
Been thanked: 0

Postby jasontsai » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:11 am

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:46 am

I have been playing around with the GoPro MAX with some interesting results. Some photos from Saturday off Lighthouse Beach, South Eleuthera.

These users thanked the author RickI for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:35 pm)
Rating: 10%

Leon van Bergen
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Style: Freeride
Gear: Duotone Rebels 6M, 8m & 11m, 15m Juice, 17m Best Roca, on my Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:33 pm

Damn that location is just beautifull !!
These users thanked the author Leon van Bergen for the post:
RickI (Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:25 pm)
Rating: 10%

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2

Postby BudhaNl » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:03 pm

jasontsai wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:11 am
Insta360 One X with case

https://www.facebook.com/jasontsai999/v ... on_generic
FB question refers to Gopro Max, so is it that or the Insta360?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:16 pm

Digdawg wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:45 am
kitenight11 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:07 pm
Good luck
I agree with almost everything kitenight11 said. I like viewing, editing and saving video files on my PC. I suspect I'll get a level of efficiency putting them on my phone and then pulling them back off, but it is a bit of a pain and slows things down. I also have to be mindful to keep videos deleted off my phone - I have a very large storage capacity and huge micro SD card, but you cannot set the GoPro App to store on the SD card. There is this strange deal where you can't find your files that are in the app (taking up lots of storage) to move them to your computer. You have to download each file from the app to your phone. If you have a windows/android file you have the file twice, using twice as much storage. You need to make sure your done and then delete the files. The biggest pain is if you move a file from your camera to your PC, or from your app to your phones storage, before you level it, you have to use the GoPro cloud service to get it back to the app. Probably requires you to pay for GoPro Plus, lengthy process in time and a pain. If they would put the leveling in Quick or a PC program it would help with people who like to edit on the PC with Divinci Resolve, Adobe, etc...

Exactly my point, it seems to be an awesome cam, apart from the lack of handling these files, I dont know what they were thinking doing it this way???

If I were to level Hero8 takes, I need to buy a really high performance tablet ONLY to be able to do this conversion task fast, and it will still require loads of wasted time transferring data to the editing computer afterwards...
Suddenly the cost can be tripled or more - not that important for for some maybe, but the troublesome double data transfer is horrible to think about, what a PITA :roll:

8) Peter

jasontsai
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Taiwan
Favorite Beaches: Taiwan, Maui
Style: Waves, Foiling
Gear: North Neo, Mono, Dice, Whip

Postby jasontsai » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:52 am

BudhaNl wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:03 pm
jasontsai wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:11 am
Insta360 One X with case

https://www.facebook.com/jasontsai999/v ... on_generic
FB question refers to Gopro Max, so is it that or the Insta360?
It's a Insta360 One X with waterproof case

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:40 am

Hi just to add Another element to the topic, here's a video of my first session with the new GoPro Max shot in Hero Mode (1080p 60fps), Max SuperView and Max Hypersmooth. The FOV is simply Amazing, way better than the classic SuperView. I didn't use the lens covers beacuse they can create fog inside. Be careful the coating of the lenses is very delicate so don't put anythyng on It. To avoid water drops just lick Them :remybussi: .

Cheers

Carlo

kit3surfer
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: North

Postby kit3surfer » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:12 am

@peterfrank: I don't know why you make it so complicated? If you just need pictures out of a clip, it is easy. You do not need horizon stabilization at all. Just extract a photo out of a 4k clip and crop/rotate it to preference in photoshop. And you are done...

Return to “Kitesurfing”