Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

GoPro Hero 8 about to release?

Forum for kitesurfers
norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Re: GoPro Hero 8 about to release?

Postby norcom » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:59 pm

So I decided to rethink this last night and came up with this. Went with a round ring instead of oval. I realized I keep going back to the line tabs... WHY?! Ok, I'll be honest, they look COOLER! :D But they only create problems in this design by adding openings to snag on. In order to avoid any snags the lines will need to be run through inside of the loop ring. So why not just use tubes? (Insert Al Gore tubes joke)

Tested it out and the idea definitely holds water! I can spin the lines around with no snags on the camera but it does catch the tabs. Shouldn't be an issue with tubes. I could point the tabs towards the inside but I'm going with tubes (this round). Though I'm thinking maybe something that makes the lines easier to run through. The diameter is pretty small. This also adds much needed support area. Wish the beaches weren't closed.
Attachments
1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:12 pm

Brain fart. Do I really need those long ass tubes? Sending this to the printer right now. Might get rid of them completely and print an angled rubber stopper insert that bends the line a little and prevents slippage. Perhaps not as stable as long arms but a better view? Guess I can just cut them off and test after this one prints.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 1.10.42 PM.png
These users thanked the author norcom for the post:
SaulOhio (Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:12 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

SaulOhio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mentor Headlands
Edgewater
Conneaut harbor
Fairport Harbor
Simms Park
Favorite Beaches: Kite Point in the Outer Banks
Gear: Slingshot Turbines, RPMs and SSTs.
Slingshot Misfit 132, Glide.
Home built hydrofoils.
Ozone R1's, 17M, 13M, 10M, 7M
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby SaulOhio » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:19 pm

norcom wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:12 pm
Brain fart. Do I really need those long ass tubes? Sending this to the printer right now. Might get rid of them completely and print an angled rubber stopper insert that bends the line a little and prevents slippage. Perhaps not as stable as long arms but a better view? Guess I can just cut them off and test after this one prints.
That looks like a really good design. It looks, aside from the hole in the side for a screwdriver and the tubes, like something I could cut on my CNC machine instead of printing it. I'm thinking HDPE. I could use carbon tubes for the lines, and install them after cutting, and I am thinking of some kind of rubber foam stoppers to prevent the line from sliding. How do you plan to get the lines through the tubes without disconnecting them from the kite? Or do you plan to install the mount when you rig the kite?

What file format are you using? I think I could reproduce your design on Google Sketchup.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby norcom » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:48 pm

SaulOhio wrote: That looks like a really good design. It looks, aside from the hole in the side for a screwdriver and the tubes, like something I could cut on my CNC machine instead of printing it. I'm thinking HDPE. I could use carbon tubes for the lines, and install them after cutting, and I am thinking of some kind of rubber foam stoppers to prevent the line from sliding. How do you plan to get the lines through the tubes without disconnecting them from the kite? Or do you plan to install the mount when you rig the kite?

What file format are you using? I think I could reproduce your design on Google Sketchup.

Learning more with each design! I tried to design/center everything properly this time around. Still having issues centering curved shapes that are sized differently but the mount is symmetrical. This new shape works REALLY well for 3d printing, almost no flaws while printing (relative to the printer). I need to remove the curves on the GoPro arm mount, they’re ugly at low infill and just aren't necessary.

I was thinking rubber stoppers for the hole on one side only. I wouldn't want to put anything on the safety line unless I'm using a Peak4. :lol: That just gave me an idea for a crazy loop video with the 4 or 5m and no arms blocking the view.

The lines will need to be fed before you rig them to the kite. Any break in the mount will create a snag point. I want to loop the kite with a camera on it without fear of line snags . At least the majority of snags and if one happens, I don't want the line to get stuck inside some edge/cutout so it can't easily slide off.

From a very short line test, the short arms work. BUT it seems they have a tendency to make the camera get stuck at a slight angle after the lines lose tension. Not sure how much effect this will have in the real world using long lines at a much wider angle. May not even be an issue because when the tension is applied it centers out.

I'm using Fusion 360. I can share an STL once I'm finished or whatever else it can export. I can send you a work in progress privately, but I'd rather not put anything up publicly that I don't feel is at least half-ass decent. Thingiverse is full of junk like that already. I think I'm very close though!

I haven't tried printing with HDPE, doesn't seem like it's very popular or easy to print with. Can't even find a spool of it for sale? Hmm... I thought about offering to print a couple to people if they were willing to hook me up with a spool of nylon filament; ~$35 on Amazon and shipping the mount, maybe ~$8. (I calculated it’s costing me $6-8 to test print each one) But then I checked and it would cost about $40 to print it from one of the reputable printing services using nylon. Though price jumps up to $100 if you want it "waterproof". I'll have to find out what sealant they're using. It's probably best that people take their chances without me being responsible. :lol:
Attachments
IMG_1487.jpeg
IMG_1488.jpeg
These users thanked the author norcom for the post:
SaulOhio (Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:53 am)
Rating: 8.33%

SaulOhio
Frequent Poster
Edgewater
Conneaut harbor
Fairport Harbor
Simms Park
Home built hydrofoils.

Postby SaulOhio » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:55 am

norcom wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:48 pm

Learning more with each design! I tried to design/center everything properly this time around. Still having issues centering curved shapes that are sized differently but the mount is symmetrical. This new shape works REALLY well for 3d printing, almost no flaws while printing (relative to the printer). I need to remove the curves on the GoPro arm mount, they’re ugly at low infill and just aren't necessary.

I was thinking rubber stoppers for the hole on one side only. I wouldn't want to put anything on the safety line unless I'm using a Peak4. :lol: That just gave me an idea for a crazy loop video with the 4 or 5m and no arms blocking the view.

The lines will need to be fed before you rig them to the kite. Any break in the mount will create a snag point. I want to loop the kite with a camera on it without fear of line snags . At least the majority of snags and if one happens, I don't want the line to get stuck inside some edge/cutout so it can't easily slide off.

From a very short line test, the short arms work. BUT it seems they have a tendency to make the camera get stuck at a slight angle after the lines lose tension. Not sure how much effect this will have in the real world using long lines at a much wider angle. May not even be an issue because when the tension is applied it centers out.

I'm using Fusion 360. I can share an STL once I'm finished or whatever else it can export. I can send you a work in progress privately, but I'd rather not put anything up publicly that I don't feel is at least half-ass decent. Thingiverse is full of junk like that already. I think I'm very close though!

I haven't tried printing with HDPE, doesn't seem like it's very popular or easy to print with. Can't even find a spool of it for sale? Hmm... I thought about offering to print a couple to people if they were willing to hook me up with a spool of nylon filament; ~$35 on Amazon and shipping the mount, maybe ~$8. (I calculated it’s costing me $6-8 to test print each one) But then I checked and it would cost about $40 to print it from one of the reputable printing services using nylon. Though price jumps up to $100 if you want it "waterproof". I'll have to find out what sealant they're using. It's probably best that people take their chances without me being responsible. :lol:
I meant cutting not printing with a CNC router. I think I may just design my own, using some of your ideas. I may need to make the GoPro tabs separately, drill the holes, then hot glue everything together.

I got to use my Max for the first time today in a U-Go mount. I have to have the Max a bit crooked in the mount so the arms of the mount are at least invisible to the front lens.
SnapShot.jpg

norcom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby norcom » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:23 pm

SaulOhio wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:55 am
I meant cutting not printing with a CNC router. I think I may just design my own, using some of your ideas. I may need to make the GoPro tabs separately, drill the holes, then hot glue everything together.

I got to use my Max for the first time today in a U-Go mount. I have to have the Max a bit crooked in the mount so the arms of the mount are at least invisible to the front lens.
SnapShot.jpg
Sorry, just went off on a tangent there. I realized you were talking about CNC but started looking into the plastic you mentioned and if there were benefits for printing it.

Should be easy to CNC this design. One could probably even make one from just PVC pipes. :D

SaulOhio
Frequent Poster
Edgewater
Conneaut harbor
Fairport Harbor
Simms Park
Home built hydrofoils.

Postby SaulOhio » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:05 am

norcom wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:23 pm

Sorry, just went off on a tangent there. I realized you were talking about CNC but started looking into the plastic you mentioned and if there were benefits for printing it.

Should be easy to CNC this design. One could probably even make one from just PVC pipes. :D
I think it may be a good idea to continue this in the Gear Builders forum.

viewtopic.php?f=107&t=2405954

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:16 pm

On video screenshot you see the problem, you cannot do mount like that if you want 100% clean picture. Camera should be laying in same directions are lines to make it float in the air without visible mount, like my Insta One X 360 mount. This totally invisible in camera video. I know the rider is at stitching line but it works good enough.
insta_mount.jpeg

SaulOhio
Frequent Poster
Edgewater
Conneaut harbor
Fairport Harbor
Simms Park
Home built hydrofoils.

Postby SaulOhio » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:58 pm

joriws wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:16 pm
On video screenshot you see the problem, you cannot do mount like that if you want 100% clean picture. Camera should be laying in same directions are lines to make it float in the air without visible mount, like my Insta One X 360 mount. This totally invisible in camera video. I know the rider is at stitching line but it works good enough.

insta_mount.jpeg
Yeah, I don't like being at the stitch line. It can do really funny things to my face.

Return to “Kitesurfing”