Style: Freeride
Gear: F-one bandit & Brunotti Onyx
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kitesurf pop-up bag

Postby Cas_surfboy023 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:13 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:08 pm
For many, it would be really really really undesirable to kite with their pump strapped to their back.

Anyone who goes through the effort of returning their pump to their car before launching can just as easily return any other belonging to the car so that they leave nothing on the beach when they go ride. Small water proof bags for keys or phones have been around for a long time now.

I bring my key with me, and leave nothing at the launch when I ride. I am free to come in anywhere and make my way directly to the car without needing to return to the spot I launched from before hand.
Thank you for responding!

In your case, the additional waterproof compartment would not be necessary. However, using this concept can save a lot of energy when you have a downwinder and want to walk back to your starting point. You could just unfold the bag, put your board in it and walk all the way back. Then you just take your board out, attach the bag on your back and done. One specific situation when this bag is desired is when there is a really strong wind. When you want to walk back to your staring position it is desired to control our kite with two hands. In the current situation, this is not possible because your have to carry your board with one hand. Using the new bag, this is possible because your carry your board with your shoulder.

What do you think about this? Could it be useful?

Cas_surfboy023
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Toolenburgse plas
Favorite Beaches: Langevelderslag, Zandvoort

Postby Cas_surfboy023 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:21 pm

geokite wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:13 pm
Boards come in all different sizes, some with foils attached. How would that work?

No waterproof bags; we would want the water to drain out. A simple mesh bag (laundry bag) works great.
I'm not putting my key in such a bag; car key goes around my neck, under the wetsuit/rash guard in it's own dedicated bag. See https://tinyurl.com/y4au7ud7
Why does the bag need to be pop-up? Like a tent?
Good point!

In order to make it possible for everyone to use this bag we will manufacture three different sizes. By doing so it is also possible to use it for multiple purposes. Person 1 maybe only wants to use the bag for his board, while person 2 maybe wants to put his board and kite in the bag.

In order to prevent that the bags will get damaged when the boards (with foils) get transported a special material will be chosen, by doing so it is not possible that the bags will get damaged.

With the waterproof part I meant that the bag is water resistant. In order to prevent the bag from filling up with water, while transporting the gear, small holes will be made.
I get the point that most of the kite surfers already have a solution for carrying their keys. However, when this bag can be combined with the current solution, this could be interesting right?

Finally, by pop-up I meant, when you take the small bag of your back it won’t cost a lot of effort to unfold it.

What do you think about this? Could it be useful?

Cas_surfboy023
Rare Poster

Postby Cas_surfboy023 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:39 pm

BWD wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:03 pm
Probably I would not buy such a bag, but it’s interesting to think about.
The first 2 generations of BRM cloud kites came with extremely simple bags that were like a pillowcase with drawstring/straps. For more comfort, something similar could be made with flat straps instead of strings, plus another smaller flat patch pocket for small items. Compression/lashing straps could also be added but weight needs the higest consideration. The first generation BRM bag was actually made of canopy ripstop. It held up well and must have weighed 80 grams including the drawstrings. If you could keep the weight minimal and the form factor equivalent to a small camelback hydration pack you could have something. Just make sure it is small, light, and has a major mesh compinent to avoid it becoming a sea anchor as soon as you fall in.

But.

For downwinders or “walk of shame” when wind shuts down before you make it back, there is already a built in solution: wrap your harness around your rolled up kite to contain it and if needed, use your leash as a carry strap or to attach kite/lines/harness bundle to your board, if you want. I usually prefer to carry board in one hand and bundle in the other.
The pump is cumbersome and I have never tried to kite with it. I wouldn’t want to get water in the pump either. Better to stash it or return to vehicle etc.
If you need extra help in organizing gear to hike out of your landing area, you can also carry a webbing strap or coil of small line around your waist, in pocket of trunks etc.
Still, the idea has some potential...
Think you for this extensive feedback! I will keep the example in mind, I think the canopy ripstop is a good material choice!

I do get the point that there is already a solution. I have done this many time, but in my experience, it is not convenient, especially when the wind is really strong.
The idea is not that you will kite with your pump. You will leave the pump at the begin spot and you use the bag to transport your board (or board and kite) bag to the starting point.

Imagine that you do not have to carry your kite under your arms and your board in one hand. You can carry your key with you (in the waterproof compartment) and the bag is not expensive, should you buy it?

Cas_surfboy023
Rare Poster

Postby Cas_surfboy023 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:44 pm

dice wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:42 pm
Drifting off is not an issue, you always have to return to your starting point anyhow. Unless you do a downwinder or you came by public transport.
Your car/bike won't follow you to wherever you drifted off to ;)
It is true that you always have to return to your starting point anyhow, but in the current situation this cost a lot of energy. (especially when the wind is strong). With the use of this new bag, you can put your board (and kite if you want) in the bag, put the bag around your shoulder and walk back, which is way more convenient. Besides you can put your keys, wallet and phone in the waterproof compartment.

Should you buy it, knowing that the bag won't be expensive?

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Postby Topaz » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:30 am

Sounds interesting as an additional resource in case you get stranded in the middle of a downwind for lack of wind, or gear break, or if I'm planning to come back in a bus or taxi and have to walk. But if the downwind goes well, I can have all the bags that I need in the downwind vehicle.

Material should be really light and pack really small. Waterproof compartment may compromise packability. When going downwind, I usually carry the phone in the water proof pouch around the neck under the wet suit.

I would carry one as long as I don't feel it while riding and it doesn't interfere with the PFD.
Once opened, It should have shoulder straps to be carry as a backpack, space for the kite, the bar and straps to attach a twin tip board. Foil boarders don't go down wind, do they?

Not sure how much I would pay for it, Very probably no more than U$D50.
These users thanked the author Topaz for the post:
Cas_surfboy023 (Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:36 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

RideLow
Frequent Poster
Gear: Wipika Free air! <3
Brand Affiliation: Blue Waffle

Postby RideLow » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:42 am

On downwinders, if I have to walk, I pack my kite in my harness, use the leash over my shoulder and board under arm.. Leash is neoprene covered o avoid chaffing
It has worked since 2002 and pro's is that we dont need any "extra" stuff like a bag..

Only thing to improve that would have been something that can be built, incorporated into the harness with 2 straps and ability to strap board to it,, but for it to be feasible it has to be integrated into something.. like harness
These users thanked the author RideLow for the post:

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:24 am

I cannot see the point. There are many dry bags on the market. People who want that can use one of them.

For normal riding the last thing I want is extra junk attached to me.

I have had a couple of long walks back recently, around 3km. I folded my kite with the bar inside and used the kite leash to secure it and make a handle. The board and foil went under one arm, the kite in the other hand. It was easy.

What would be nice is a very discrete pocket in my harness where I could carry a piece of line or webbing to use as a strap or tow line. I already have a piece of line in the key pocket of the harness. It would be nice to have a slightly bigger pocket.

I have an Apple watch. If I was really stuck I could call my partner and she could come and get me. I have tools in her car for disassembling the hydrofoil. I can also use Apple Pay to pay for coffee or maybe for a taxi if I stop somewhere.
These users thanked the author OzBungy for the post:

Cas_surfboy023
Rare Poster

Postby Cas_surfboy023 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:42 pm

OzBungy wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:24 am
I cannot see the point. There are many dry bags on the market. People who want that can use one of them.

For normal riding the last thing I want is extra junk attached to me.

I have had a couple of long walks back recently, around 3km. I folded my kite with the bar inside and used the kite leash to secure it and make a handle. The board and foil went under one arm, the kite in the other hand. It was easy.

What would be nice is a very discrete pocket in my harness where I could carry a piece of line or webbing to use as a strap or tow line. I already have a piece of line in the key pocket of the harness. It would be nice to have a slightly bigger pocket.

I have an Apple watch. If I was really stuck I could call my partner and she could come and get me. I have tools in her car for disassembling the hydrofoil. I can also use Apple Pay to pay for coffee or maybe for a taxi if I stop somewhere.
Thank you for your answer!

I think you don’t understand what I mean. I will try to elaborate myself.

I know that there are already a lot of drybags. We do not want to compete with them. Our solution is a really small bag, which is attached to your harness. With the use of this small bag you do not have to use your harness to wrap your kite after your session. Our small bag makes is way more comfortable to walk back. This is the main advantage, however, the bag could also be ordered with an additional dry compartment, so if you want, you could some of your belongings.

Should you use the product if it makes the walk back easy, the size is small and it won’t cost more than 30 euro’s?

Cas_surfboy023
Rare Poster

Postby Cas_surfboy023 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:49 pm

RideLow wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:42 am
On downwinders, if I have to walk, I pack my kite in my harness, use the leash over my shoulder and board under arm.. Leash is neoprene covered o avoid chaffing
It has worked since 2002 and pro's is that we dont need any "extra" stuff like a bag..

Only thing to improve that would have been something that can be built, incorporated into the harness with 2 straps and ability to strap board to it,, but for it to be feasible it has to be integrated into something.. like harness
Good point!

I know that there is already a self-made solution, I have used it many times! I am aware of the fact that you don’t want to carry extra stuff with you. However, the bag will be really small, so you won’t even feel that it is there during your session. Knowing that this new bag could make your walk bag much easier it could be interesting for a lot of kite surfers. You can also choose to carry your kite like you are doing now and only use the bag to carry your board (different sizes are manufactured). Besides, you can also use the bag to carry some stuff from your car or other transportation method to the beach (e.g. towel, clothes and food/drinks).

What do you think about this?

Cas_surfboy023
Rare Poster

Postby Cas_surfboy023 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:55 pm

Topaz wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:30 am
Sounds interesting as an additional resource in case you get stranded in the middle of a downwind for lack of wind, or gear break, or if I'm planning to come back in a bus or taxi and have to walk. But if the downwind goes well, I can have all the bags that I need in the downwind vehicle.

Material should be really light and pack really small. Waterproof compartment may compromise packability. When going downwind, I usually carry the phone in the water proof pouch around the neck under the wet suit.

I would carry one as long as I don't feel it while riding and it doesn't interfere with the PFD.
Once opened, It should have shoulder straps to be carry as a backpack, space for the kite, the bar and straps to attach a twin tip board. Foil boarders don't go down wind, do they?

Not sure how much I would pay for it, Very probably no more than U$D50.
Good to hear that you are positive!

We are aware of the fact that the bag should be really small and light so you won’t even feel if you carry it during your session.
The nice part is that the bag could be made with a waterproof compartment, so you don’t need a waterproof pouch anymore. Furthermore, you can also use the bag to carry some stuff from your car or other transportation method to the beach (e.g. towel, clothes and food/drinks).

Would you like this waterproof compartment if you would buy it?

Return to “Kitesurfing”